OHS seats

Would you let your child ride in an OHS seat?

• Yes, it meets FMVSS 213 standards, why not?

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Yes, but only if there was no other option available.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • No, I'd rather walk or stay home.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Other - some other idea or you just had to vote. ;)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

scatterbunny

What's so special about the Fisher Price OHS?

The shield on the FP Futura sat much lower than other OHS seats, almost on the child's thighs. It was a 60# harnessed seat, FF-only, so for bigger kids who'd outgrown 40# seats (either by height or weight), the Futura was a great option (narrow, too, at just 17 inches). At the time, there weren't many other options, aside from Britax (wider and more expensive), so this was a great choice. We used the five point harness version of the Futura for quite awhile, and now my friend (IRL and on the boards) AndieW is using it for her 6yo son until it expires in a few months.

ADS

Melizerd

I said I'd walk or stay home. If we could predict when the accident would happen none of us would have them and if I put my son into an OHS and had THE accident and something happened I could NEVER EVER EVER forgive myself for going and choosing an OHS when we know that they can be dangerous.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
You didn't have an option for me, but the closest was if there was no other option...

My ds is 3.5, 35 pounds - yeah I'd let him ride in one if there were no other options. If he was younger, smaller - NO.

Shaunam

I voted yes if there were no other options. I'd feel more comfortable with it if it were an older baby/toddler rearfacing, but I suppose if I had to choose between that and just a seatbelt, I choose the the OHS.

Hopefully we'll never been in a situation like that! Can't imagine how we ever would be anyway...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Versa Fit (Scenera and I think Enspira unless they stopped making that, like, this year), shield is actually really close to the body, you want it as close to the body as possible (remember the shield is acting 'like' the lapstraps), and I think shields are mimicing the FP one a lot better than they used to. I learned yesterday, while reading the Tribute manual, that you do want the shield in the outermost position for a baby RF, though, you just act like the seat is a 3 pt harness infant seat.

Older shield seats were *totally* up in the kids' face...ack.

The only GOOD carseat advice Consumer Reports ever gave me was to show me a OHS seat completely failing in crash tests and tell me to buy a 5 pt (love that 1997 baby gear buying guide...)

But they suck, I can't wait till they are completely off the market. The excuse about how they are 'easier' for grandparents to buckle would be completely out the window if every seat had a NICE harness..if you can't buckle and tighten a Key Fit/Roundabout/Nautilus, you maybe don't have the dexterity to drive safely :whistle: (whereas expert seamstresses who lift weights can't be expected to use a Tribute V properly :mad:)
:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC