Now what?

AtTheSouthDam

I put DD1 (7y8m) in DH's 2000 Civic today and encountered a soon to be problem. She's been riding NBB for a time and her ears are over the head rest!
I put the Monterey in and she is on the last click, just about even with the slot. It will work for this week but I don't know what to do if she grows again.

She is 54", 82#, 20.5-21" torso.
I'm not sure a taller booster will fit in there. The Monterey (backless) and the AMP both make her too tall for the headrest.

So, is there anything I can do aside from pray she doesn't grow again until she turns 8? I think she may actually pass the five step :eek: but it doesn't matter as we are a straight booster until 8, state. I'm not sure I am comfortable with her riding without at booster so young anyway :(

ADS

beetlemama

I would keep her in the Monterey as long as she fits in it, then try the 5-step test. From my understanding boosters follow the same rules as harnessing in that if they've outgrown it kids are safer not in it than in it. And I doubt anyone will give you a hard time for graduating out of the booster a few months early because it was unsafe to ride in. If she doesn't have proper head support, that's an unsafe situation.

AtTheSouthDam

So that's it? She is nearing the end for this car? :(

I took some pics for help. Sorry they are not the greatest but I tried :eek:
Her she is in NBB (ear level). Maybe I am seeing wrong?
bethearlevel.jpg

In the Monterey (though from the side it looks like we have more time then it does from the rear view mirror, a bit of a relief, I think.)
monttimeleft.jpg

And with out a booster. I think the lap belt still sits a bit too high but I am not sure what to do :(
beth5step.jpg

Oh, to give you an idea what a growth spurt does, this was taken in Feb:
bethincivic.jpg

babyherder

Is she too tall in the literider? I think its shorter than the amp so maybe it would buy you more time?

I don't like her fit without a booster either :( and I understand wanting her in a booster until she's older. Is there a higher hbb you could try? A different car?

AtTheSouthDam

She was actually using the Monterey backless in there. The lite rider is about 1/2 taller than it :(

She is to heavy for the RSTV and bubble bum which wold sit her lower. Is there anything else slimmer, closer to the seat base?
All the other boosters out there only gain 1/2" to 1" at a hefty price tag. Her belly (going of previous track record) suggests this growth spurt is not yet over and I'm afraid I'm going to spend $100+ on a seat that *may* take her to her birthday. Oh, and if the Monterey had one more click it would hit the window.

So are you guys as stumped as I am? I'm thinking I'll just stop feeding her (j/k). I wish we could go get a new car but that is the plans for summer 2012, when the van s paid off (primary ride. I'm just driving this this week because we are going 90+ miles a day for the next few days and it gets much better gas mileage. But even when I am done she will still ride in DH's car from time to time and I can't just ban it for a year. We take anywhere that is a longer distance.)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Can you take photos from the front seat? More straight on. It will show us better where her ears are in the booster. And more where the buckle fall when not in the booster. We want to see the lap belt on the hips and shoulder belt over the collar bone.

AtTheSouthDam

Can you take photos from the front seat? More straight on. It will show us better where her ears are in the booster. And more where the buckle fall when not in the booster. We want to see the lap belt on the hips and shoulder belt over the collar bone.

I can do that in a bit here, after her friends goes home.

I actually tried the literider again this morning and it does sit lower do to it's footprint fitting in the seat contours but her ears a just at so it's going to last as long as the Monterey :/

ETA: Or I'll get the pictures tomorrow since my child played at friend's house until 8 pm tonight :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC