Not thrilled with RFing seat choices, thinking of FFing my 2 yr old

mrs.christie

DD is 26.5 months, 36" tall(mostly leg) and 27lbs. DS is 7.5 months, 29" tall and 22 lbs.

DS still fits in his key fit for now, but he is very squished in the shoulders and so I'm looking at convertibles to move him into. DD rides RFing in a classic boulevard and she still has plenty of room to go, she might even make it to 3 RFing.

I originally planned to move the blvd down to DS, and get the latest and greatest RFing seat for DD but I'm not really thrilled with my options. I bought a radian XST for my mom to use and I an just not impressed with the seat.

In my 2010 T&C I need to use the belt installation (latch allows car seats to slip an over recline way too much in the leather captains chairs). I have found belt installations to be a major pita with the radian, plus they don't have the nifty built in lock offs like the britax (which I need, as I have found that they are the only thing to keep the front edge of the car seat base from slipping
upwards at the bight- thus allowing the seat to tip backwards and over recline).

Additionally, the radians are so tall I'm afraid it will become a big issue with my H. He likes to sit way back in the van and we barely make it work with the two seats we have now. There's no way a seat with a taller shell will fit behind my H in the 2nd row. The car seats cannot touch the back of the front drivers/ passenger due to some headrest safety feature.

So I'm really partial to britax, but it's just not making sense to go and buy a blvd for DS when DD will be out of hers (RFing) in another six months. I'm thinking about holding out for a few months and then getting a frontier 85 for DD and passing down the blvd to DS. I know the blvd can be used ffing, but the classic sits up so high and it is currently difficult for DD to get herself up into. Seems like it makes more sense to use our classic for DS who I still have to place in his seat anyway, KWIM.

Im feeling guilty about plans to turn DD, but I don't want a radian or TF either. I really like britax and I've considered importing a Swedish seat, I'm just not sure they will take up the same or less RFing space than our classic blvd.

Sorry this is so long, I'm so torn. Thais in advance for your help!

ADS

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I have a 2011 T&C and have no problems installing our Radian in a captain's chair. I don't like the LATCH install either, but the seat belt-install is super easy. I don't quite understand what you mean about "the front edge of the car seat base from slipping upwards at the bight- thus allowing the seat to tip backwards and over recline". I don't have or-recline issues at all, and my 38lb DD rides in it occasionally (the normal occupant is my DS).

We had our set-up with the Radian behind the passenger and our classic Marathon behind the driver - unless your DH requires the seat alllll the way back, plus super reclined, it shouldn't be an issue to but the BLVD behind the driver and the Radian behind the passenger.

If you really don't like the Radian, what about the MyRide? Or the Evenflo Symphony? Or waiting for a Foonf this summer? I feel really uncomfortable with a barely 2 year old forward facing.

zactayaus

What about getting an angle adjuster for the radian? It would do away with your over recline issues and make your seat super upright so it won't take up much room at all. Possibly even less room then the Blvd does.

abigaylebelle

Have you considered a new generation britax convertible or a classic marathon? If you really prefer those seats (and I do too so I get it) then it makes sense to buy a second convertible seat for your ds to use rf and then when your dd is 35lbs either turn her in her seat or switch them to continue rf her in the new generation britax.
I would rather have two convertibles and then possibly have to purchase one ff harness seat if a child was not booster ready around 5 or 6 when s/he outgrew a britax convertible ff than turn a 2 year old ff.

mrs.christie

My H is on the bigger side and he likes the seat all the way back and fairly reclined. It became a big issue and it's a source of conflict I try my best to avoid.

The blvd over reclines when using latch. I get it nice and tight, the max upright angle, but as DD sits in it the front portion on the base (nearest the seat bight) starts to lift up as the entire car seat base scoots closer to the seat bigt. It gets worse and worse to where The front of the car seat base is off the seat of chair. I have a 2010 T&C with the captains chairs in leather, so they are different from yours. My captains chairs swivel and the seat belt is built into the chair.

I posted about my problem and I didn't get much response as I dont think many have encountered the same seats that I have- guess the swivel wasn't so popular which is why they discontinued it in the 2011 model.

The only way I can stop this from happening is by using the belt to install and using the built in lock offs. I can get it super tight this way and it doesn't move at all.

The radian may not over recline like the blvd was, but it will be an issue with how tall it is.

mrs.christie

Have you considered a new generation britax convertible or a classic marathon? If you really prefer those seats (and I do too so I get it) then it makes sense to buy a second convertible seat for your ds to use rf and then when your dd is 35lbs either turn her in her seat or switch them to continue rf her in the new generation britax.
I would rather have two convertibles and then possibly have to purchase one ff harness seat if a child was not booster ready around 5 or 6 when s/he outgrew a britax convertible ff than turn a 2 year old ff.

I have thought about getting a new britax for DS but it is my understanding that they offer even less height for RFing. Based in his current growth DS will be taller than DD is at her age, so the new blvd might get him to two and a new one won't get DD any further than her current classic blvd.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, you have the swivel & go seats, not the stow and go? That explains a lot... If anything, my captain's chairs are borderline too upright. So you can dis-regard that part of my earlier post.

mrs.christie

What about getting an angle adjuster for the radian? It would do away with your over recline issues and make your seat super upright so it won't take up much room at all. Possibly even less room then the Blvd does.

I need to go get the radian that's in my mom's car and try it out again in my van. I just loathe having to deal with that seat. I have tiny hands (like a 3.5 ring size) and I scraped the crap out of them last time I installed it with the belt in her car. Plus, I just don't like the seat all that much. Maybe it will work, but I'm really doubtful that it will take up the same or less space RFing.

Kaitsmom

What about putting the Radian in the third row? If you put it behind the passenger side captains chair then it wont interfer with your DH; mine also has confused the seat.of a car with a recliner chair and it makes me nuts. Yes, your DD would kind of be all by herself back there, but she would be safe, and unless you frequently do very long car rides she should be able to entertain herself.

MommyShannon

Take a look at the Safety First Complete Air. It doesn't have built in lock offs but installs well with LATCH normally. It is a tall seat and goes to 40 lbs RF. The only issue I have with it is Dorel was very specific that it must be at 45 degrees. There have been lots of threads about this and a lot of people including techs are comfortable installing more upright since Dorel stated it passes testing more upright but is ideal at 45. Supposedly they are adding a sticker soon to allow a different angle for older kids. The new Canadian version already does but it's a little different design. It's a dream more upright though, no rethread harness so you could easily move your kids between it if a reason came up, and it has lots of leg room.
ETA: installed at around 35 degrees it takes about the same space as our Britax RA55. In our Ody I can move the passengers seat all the way back.

penguingrooves

i have a britax multi-tech, and it took up more space (depth) than a classic marathon. maybe a couple of more inches at most, so not too bad. but i assume that as the child grows, the headrest would need to be raised, thus possibly requiring more space. but you can also install the multi-tech without the flippable plate to make it more upright. (um, i think you have to see the seat to understand my last statement.) the seat itself is rather upright even with the recline. i haven't compared the space/depth with a radian with an angle adjuster though.

if you can wait few more months, clek foonf is supposed to be released. it should RF until 45 lbs and could be an option.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't feel bad going with an FF seat for a 2 yo :eek:. *side* impacts are the dangerous kind for FF kids, but a well installed top tethered seat with good headwings and if your van has airbags, will be a LOT safer than the small data set we have in the study that showed that RF is safer (but not statistically so in frontal impacts. just side) for kids ages 1-2. The Frontier is super comfy and reclined and even sleeping kids' heads stay contained usually up in the wings (compared to the nautilus which is infamous for sleeping kid head-flop).
But I'd totally also try the foam angle accessory, here it is on Amazon showing how drastically different it makes the recline... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-Angle-Seat-Accessory/dp/B006I1QTYQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1327931121&sr=8-5"]Amazon.com: Diono Radian Angle Car Seat Accessory: Baby[/ame]
Newer style britaxes have a deeper seat area, they fit kids just as long rearfacing as the balanced up on top look of the old ones, even though the measurements are a little shorter on the new ones, and they take up way less RF space, so maybe worth a try, too.

YinzerMama

The myride is 110 at Target this week, if you wanted a cheapish good interim rf seat that would be useful later as an extra as well.

But I will admit I like Julie's advice that she would be OK turning.

I will also chime in that the Frontiers are good for sleeping. My girls made the switch to Frontiers from MAs at 3 1/2ish with no problems. I felt like there was a little more slumping, it doesn't seem AS reclined, but they adapated - and truthfully slumped on occasion in their MAs as well, so...

mrs.christie

i have a britax multi-tech, and it took up more space (depth) than a classic marathon. maybe a couple of more inches at most, so not too bad. but i assume that as the child grows, the headrest would need to be raised, thus possibly requiring more space. but you can also install the multi-tech without the flippable plate to make it more upright. (um, i think you have to see the seat to understand my last statement.) the seat itself is rather upright even with the recline. i haven't compared the space/depth with a radian with an angle adjuster though.

if you can wait few more months, clek foonf is supposed to be released. it should RF until 45 lbs and could be an option.

So the multi tech will take up as much, if not more space than a classic blvd? Now I'm really hesitant to order one. I cannot brace (or even touch) the drivers or passengers seatback, so this could be an issue.

luckyclov

So the multi tech will take up as much, if not more space than a classic blvd? Now I'm really hesitant to order one. I cannot brace (or even touch) the drivers or passengers seatback, so this could be an issue.
I used to have an '09 Grand Caravan and I never encountered a RF convertible I had an issue with, especially in the captain's chairs. The Radian RFing and the redesigned (2008+) GC/T&C/Routans are heavenly match. That said, however, I have no experience with the swivel seats, as the one I had - and all I've worked with - have been stow n go.

I do not advocate importing child seats - unless all other legal options have been exhausted and the child is younger than 2 or has underlying medical issues - but you could install the MT in the 3rd row and brace against the captains chairs. But, if that's the case, why not just install a Radian in the 3rd row and brace, KWIM? Something else to remember, that many don't realize, is the Multi Tech's FF harness weight limit is the same as the RF weight limit - 55 lbs.

This may have been answered already, but is there a particular reason you don't want a Radian? I can understand not preferring a TF due to the 35 lb RF weight limit.

Other seats to possibly consider: The new dual line Complete Air, Maxi Cosi Pria 70, Graco MyRide, or a Next Gen Britax convertible.

The Next Gens are shorter shelled than the Britax classics, but at 36" and being mostly leg, your DD would still have some good RF time left in one - she'd just have limited leg room (which is not a safety issue). I just moved my 2 year old (35", 28 lbs) out of a Marathon 70 - he's a lot of torso and would have easily made it to 3 RFing.

mrs.christie

This may have been answered already, but is there a particular reason you don't want a Radian?.

I just don't like the radian I have as much as britax seats. I find the installation harder, no built in lock offs (which i might need to install in the second row, need to swap seets with my mom and try it out) the cover is harder to remove, not as plush, and the harness tightening mechanism isn't as easy to use. Not to mention that I'm afraid it will be too tall for my second row which is where I'd prefer to have it for now.

Radians aren't totally off my list, I just would prefer to go with britax even if that means importing a seat. I was under the impression that the multi tech wouldn't take up any more space than my blvd, but now I'm not so sure. I know I could always have it in the 3rd row, but I don't want to be so limited in its placement.

I will continue to look at the multi tech, but the other option I'm strongly considering is getting a blvd 70 for DS, keeping DD RFing in her blvd until she is too tall and at that point put her ffing in a frontier unless there's a better RFing option available.

penguingrooves

mrs.christie said:

the multi-tech allows RFing longer, so it makes sense that it takes up more depth. but it's more compact than i expected since it doesn't have a lot of accessorial parts (e.g., not as "cushy," no cupholder, etc...)

my MT occupant is a very petite 4 1/2 years old, maybe 38" tall and 31-33 lbs. she hardly grew over a year, so it turns out that i do not need a swedish seat. i got mine because my car is a honda fit, and a radian was so tall and reclined so much. (this is pre-angle adjuster.) also, RF tethering is a must, so not many options. the MT installed as reclined takes up about 30-31" in depth - this measurement is NOT from the top of my backseat to the edge of MT - it's from the imaginary perpendicular/vertical line from the bottom of my backseat extended up to the height of MT since the backseat is not at 90°. (imagine a rectangle drawn around the MT. i measured the top side/edge of it.) also, the 30-31" is at my kid's height, not with the headwings fully extended. if the MT were installed without any recline, i expect to shave off a few inches, but the seat will be very upright and not as much legroom. still, it's at least as much legroom as a regular US britax. installing it reclined provides a lot of legroom.

britax max-way is supposed to be smaller than the MT, and i'm thinking about getting that because as my kids grow, i need every available inch in width and depth for 3-in-a-row in a subcompact. but if you're even considering FFing a 2 year old, your standards for ERF is different from mine. heck, i may EEEEERF beyond the swedes at this rate.

anyway, that's my MT experience. i LOVE the seat, which is why i'm hesitant to get even the max-way. the MT also sits very low. it fits in a honda fit, but the front seats have to be moved forward yet not all the way. a radian + AA may work for me now, but i prefer a streamlined installation without extra accessories, i.e. no radian sandwich. (i'm also waiting to see how the clek foonf may work.) oh, someone mentioned FF limit on MT. MT's FF limit is 40 lbs with harness and 55 lbs as a booster. but i don't know why anyone would use a MT to FF. it's heavy, and i'd want a lighter seat if FFing.

good luck. it seems like picking an honest target age for RFing should be your priority so you don't overkill/overspend like me. many people claim "i'm going to RF as long as i can," but stop RFing before the absolute maximum due to various circumstances. (btw, i'm not judging them - i'm probably going to stop RFing before my carseat's RF limit is reached by the occupant too.)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC