No back booster for daily ride for new 6 year old? (ugh, 3-across)

aguafresca

First, a brag: DS turns four tomorrow (and just hit 40 lbs) and we turned him FF facing tonight. :( I am sad that he's not RF anymore, but we made it a year longer than with my eldest. :dance:

I'm wondering if the way we have our seats set up now sounds okay for my eldest DD, and if there are other options we should consider for her. (The stats in my siggy are correct).

DS is FF in a Radian 65 behind the driver. DD2 is RF in a Radian RXT center with an angle adjuster. Both of these seats fit fine and are solid.

The problem:

The plan was to put DD1, a 1st grader who is turning 6 next week, who is mature and a good listener, and solid and tall for her age (size 6x/7 pants, size 7/8 shirts) in the Frontier 90 she's been in, but behind the passenger and convert it to booster mode. (She's been harnessed in the center until today in my car). However, there was NO WAY we could buckle her in next to the RF Radian. It was nearly impossible to reach the buckle. Ugh, stupid boosters. This is why I waited so long to take her out of harness - I have been dreading trying to do 3-across with a booster in the mix. So, we pulled the Parkway SGL out of DH's car and tried that next to the RF Radian. It was no easier to buckle with the high back on (read: virtually impossible). We decided to take off the high back and it became much, much easier to buckle. So, we're left with a nearly 6 year old who is going from being in a harnessed seat to being in a no back booster. I'm a bit anxious about this, though I know that generally both types of booster can be used safely at this age/size. The Subaru does have side airbags. DD rarely falls asleep in the car anymore, and only on long trips which we have none of coming up.

So is it okay for DD1 to be riding in a low back booster now? Are there other options that I should try that would allow her to ride in a HBB but 3-across next to a RF Radian? We also tried the Parkway next to a FF Radian and it was even worse to try to buckle. So I don't think switching the other two kids' seats around will help. It appears that the belt hits her at her shoulder where it's supposed to, and the lap belt is in a good spot too (not too low, not too high). I think she will have a slight tendency to slump because her knees are just barely not quite able to fully bend at the edge of the seat, so slumping a touch makes her legs more comfortable and does push the belt just a bit too close to her neck. I am unaware of whether there is a belt clip thing that would help with this or how that works (I've just seen it mentioned here and there but not read much about it). I will have to reminder her to scoot her bum back all the way, but I think she'll be careful about it. (Ugh, I wish the Parkway with back or Frontier would have been doable in our setup).

If a backless booster is okay, is there a dedicated one I should buy instead of using the bottom of the Parkway? I don't like how the back of it is rough and "unfinished" without the top on. One that is even easier to buckle next to a RF Radian? Is an Ozzi worth considering? An Incognito?

ADS

aeormsby

I (personally) wouldn't go backless full time with a 6yo. I'd either stick with harnessed in the FR, Parkway with the back or look for another HBB that will work better (maybe check out the Harmony HBB, the bottom looks a lot like the Youth booster NBB which may be easier to buckle, it gets narrower in the back).

Statistically I don't think there's much of a safety difference between a NBB/HBB, but that's assuming the kiddo is staying in position, if she moves around more (less of a reminder to stay upright without the back) or falls asleep and slumps it's not as safe. My kids both started using a NBB occasionally at that age, but I felt much better having them in the HBB for the regular and long drives.

For the foot rest question - yes there's no problem with that, for any FF (harnessed or boostered) child. Just make sure it's something lightweight and soft that won't become a dangerous projectile if you get in an accident (folded blanket, pillow, foam cooler are all things I've seen recommended).

ETA - actually, the Harmony Folding booster might be one of the most narrow out there (according to the spreadsheet) - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Folding-Travel-Booster-Car-Seat/22301298
The evenflo is 1-2" narrower than the Parkway also: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-B...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

aguafresca

So now that I've had DD in the backless Parkway for a day, I do think it fits her fine, actually. The problem is that even backless it is still a huge pain to get her buckled in. It's not because the Parkway is too wide, it's because the buckle I need to access is pretty far under the RF Radian in the middle, and the width of the plastic piece at the top of the buckle is a little wider than the open area that I have to access the female side of the buckle. And then getting it buckled and taut and under the arm rests of the Parkway without somehow twisting the seatbelt is also a pain.

The Radian is installed with a seatbelt (obviously - no center latch). Is it possible to scoot it over an inch or two so I can access the seatbelt for the booster better? I don't see how to scoot it over but still get a tight install. Doesn't it have to be centered on the seat to be tight?

Putting her back into the harnessed Frontier is a temporary solution - in six or eight months I'd have to move it to booster anyway. I have to figure this out with a booster at some point. I think if we could move the Radian over somehow a bit, I could put the back on the Parkway again and buckling might be possible.

Beloved

I think you can moved the middle RF Radian as far as possible towards the other Radian without going past where the seatbelt comes out. Once the seatbelt is locked it will stay tight. That should give you room to not have to reach under the RF radian to buckle.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think a backless Parkway SGL used with the SG clip is a fine option for a 6 year old over 40 lbs. who can remain seated properly.

As for the Radian, sometimes you can get a good installation with it slightly off center, using a seatbelt install. Hard to say for certain without seeing it in person, though, sorry!

aguafresca

Thanks for the replies. So we moved the Radians over a bit and there is more room now above where the buckle I need to access for the booster is. But, the seat belt that is holding the center Radian in is still very much in the way of where I need to buckle the booster. So the seat itself isn't hoovering over the buckle I need as much now, but the seat belt is still in the way which makes it extremely awkward to buckle the booster. (Does that make sense?)

I struggle every time to buckle the booster, and not just to buckle it but then to tighten the belt after it's buckled I have to pull and pull on it to tighten at my daughter's waist. It's awkward and frustrating and I don't know if I'll get better with practice or if it's just a sucky situation that won't get better. At what point does 3-across become such a PITA that a new car is merited? DH and I are disagreeing on this right now. Ugh.

sunnymw

I've had 3 across for 3 years and had boosters in and out of the equation several times. I don't think, honestly, that there is a way around the "PITA to buckle" dilemma. It's why my almost 8yo is still harnessed in the 2 door truck (because I can't FIT back there to buckle), and why he is riding in a RSTV in my Accord. That's all changing soon, and I'm dreading it.

gigi

Try a boostapak. It is narrow and high and my kid can buckle it next to the boulevard. Almost always a great belt fit. Another similar in shape is the clek.

The parkway backless works well with a boulevard FF also, but I'm not sure it would work well with the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC