No avenues at sears

Amaris

I went to sears today to see about getting an avenue. I looked at them online and liked the girly cover at sears better than kmart. Anyway, the lady at sears said they were discontinued and they would not be carrying them anymore. Anyone know what's going on?

ADS

Pixels

Possibly it has to do with the lead testing. I know there's a lot of products that are getting pulled from the shelves, at least temporarily, while they get stuff worked out.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I hope it comes back... it's one of the best lower priced seats they make that's really nice...too bad they only sell it at those fairly low profile stores :/ (Target? BRU? why isn't it there???)

Amaris

I will run to our local kmart tomorrow and see if they still have them on the shelf there. I do wish they had them somewhere else, it sounds like the perfect seat for K to use in dh's car.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
What?!! :confused: Please elaborate...lead testing!!!
Remember they just started this new thing about how ALL products, even used and homemade stuff, has to meet new standards? It includes ALL products...car seats, strollers, mattresses (for lead and phthalates)... if the mfrs. didn't get their acts together in time to prove they met the standards, then their products can't be sold. So BRU has most of the Snugride travel systems pulled, and kolcraft jogging strollers... Dorel didn't have any products pulled from there, I guess maybe the Avenue could have not met the standard, but I'm betting that Sears just is going to stop carrying it at all, since the Uptown was such a flop, too.

Amaris

The uptown and avenue are basically the same, right? I really need one of these seats. We tried K in the scenera today and she's between the top and next to top slots. I don't really want to pay $45 for it if I can find something taller for just a little more.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, basically the same...and yes, rather taller top slots than the Scenera (1.5? 2 inches, maybe?)... a great choice for your long torsoed kiddo, for sure! (and while it's more expensive, the Alpha Omega and clones are all *really* tall, like 17-17.5 inches and 50 pound weight limits, so might be worth looking into as an even longer-lasting choice)

Amaris

I really don't want to spend that much on a seat that might get used once or twice a week, but if it comes down to it I will, just to keep from moving seats! I was really hoping for an avenue, or even for the scenera to give her more growing room.

armywife12

Yes, basically the same...and yes, rather taller top slots than the Scenera (1.5? 2 inches, maybe?)... a great choice for your long torsoed kiddo, for sure! (and while it's more expensive, the Alpha Omega and clones are all *really* tall, like 17-17.5 inches and 50 pound weight limits, so might be worth looking into as an even longer-lasting choice)

Is the top harness slot on the new AOs really that high? I have seen this said before so I asked some techs on my other car seat board and they said that it wasn't but none of them really knew the exact height. I think it was more of a guesstimate on their part. Besides them making crappy boosters, I don't think the seat is all that bad if the top harness slot is so high

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is the top harness slot on the new AOs really that high? I have seen this said before so I asked some techs on my other car seat board and they said that it wasn't but none of them really knew the exact height. I think it was more of a guesstimate on their part. Besides them making crappy boosters, I don't think the seat is all that bad if the top harness slot is so high

Yup, they are shockingly tall...we have quite a few pictures of 7 yos (ok, at least one that I can remember, lol) who fit with room to grow. It's basically the same height as the old AO's, but the top slot is usable in harness mode :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yup, they are shockingly tall...we have quite a few pictures of 7 yos (ok, at least one that I can remember, lol) who fit with room to grow. It's basically the same height as the old AO's, but the top slot is usable in harness mode :thumbsup:

We have an older AO but if we could use the top slot in harness mode, DS would still have a little bit of growing room - and he's nearly 8!

DSC00517-1.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC