New Vehicle or make ours work?

brymommy

We have two Vehicles. A 06 Buick Rainier and a 2000 Subaru Legacy.

We currently have two children a 5.5 year old and a 2.5 year old.

In the Rainier our 5.5 year old rides in a harnessed Nautilus and our 2.5 year old in a FFing Truefit.

In the Legacy our 5.5 year old rides in a Turbo Booster (it's our second and very seldom used car and we wanted to slowly Booster train her) and our 2.5 year old rides in a FFing Scerena.

Starting pretty quick I will also be doing care for 2 other kids a 2.5 year old girl and a 14 month old little boy. The Rainier can comfortably fit two carseats side by side and a full size adult in the back, so I am sure I can fit 3 seats side by side but I haven't tried it with anything but a booster yet. I was planning on putting my 2.5 year old in her sisters nautilus, and then the other 2.5 year old in the Scerena and getting another Scerena and RFing the 14 month old (I don't know if parents RF or FF him but he will RF in my car).

But the question is what to do with my 5.5 year old. I know that the front isn't the best spot. The Rainier has the weight sensitive air bag sensors. I can't turn them off manually.

Until the end of May my Dh can drop her off at his families Daycare and they can take and pick her up from school... But after that I will have to take her to school.

We need the legacy at the moment and selling it is going to be really tough as it was in a small accident before we bought it and was just in another at the begining of the year. I think the insurance company should have written it off but they choose to fix it. We don't really have extra money *right* now to put into a new to us vehicle once we sell the legacy. But most likely by Summer vacation we will be able to have more than enough saved and add to sell the legacy, and buy a half decent van.

Fitting three across is pretty much a no go in the legacy and I can't turn off that airbag either.

Do we see what we can get just by selling the legacy and not saving up extra or do we try and squeak by with DD5.5 in the front in her booster for a month or two?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I can't tell you what to do, but if you need to put a child up front, it should be the forward-facing harnessed 2.5yo, not the 5yo in a booster.

brymommy

Except I am in Canada and we have top teathering laws and no top teather availble for that seat.

What would I want to look for in a vehical from under about $3000? What van would be good for our situation?

StPaulMom

This probably isnt the advice you're looking for, but I would suggest not taking on more kids than you can safely transport in your vehicles. So until you get a van or other vehicle that will safely allow you to transport 4 children, I would limit yourself to only watching one other child. There really isnt a safe alternative to have 4 children in car with only 3 rear seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC