New travel system (and seat) at BRU

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We had a new system at work tonight, and I brought the instructions home just so that I could read through them without interruptions. ;)

First things first, here's a link: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11592291

The infant seat is the Via I470C - I know we've had the Via around in Canada for awhile, but the seat has gone through some significant changes since I last looked at it...

The stroller is cool - but of course I was mostly interested in the carseat. ;)

Key points:

- Handle must be in "rebound" position in vehicle - this is most forward position towards the vehicle seat and makes the handle pretty much right at baby's toes.
- It looks like the base lock-off is optional, but if you skip the lock-off they want you to use a locking clip (which you're supposed to buy from them.)
- Seat has 2 different weight limits.
Baseless install: 5 to 22lbs
Installed w/base: 5 to 35lbs
- Seat has lock-offs on the seat itself for baseless install, and uses european style routing with the shoulder belt behind the child restraint. In vehicles where it's not possible to do this, they still have you using the "foot" lock-offs, and then you use a locking clip and leave the shoulder belt against the vehicle seat.
- Comes with a height insert that has to be removed at 12lbs. With the height insert I suspect this makes the bottom harness height right around 5" or so.
- Height limit is 32" but I don't know what the shell height is like.

My thoughts - I actually really like the seat from the bit I've played with it. The base lock-off is really easy to use, and I love that the travel position for the handle is towards the vehicle seat.

I like the lock-offs on the seat itself for baseless installs, but found them very difficult to open. I also think the dual weight limits depending on whether you're using the seat with or without the base may be confusing to some parents.

I find it interesting that they clearly want a locking clip used and don't address locking the vehicle belt as well.

The down side? The manual says to only use infant seat accessories manufactured by learning curve or J.J. Cole. :thumbsdown: - there are no warnings about bulky clothing etc, leading me to believe that a parent could use a bundle bag in this seat and still be following the manual right down to the letter if the harness was tightened properly.

There's a few places in the manual where the wrong word was clearly used. The meaning is clear to me because of the context - and it will be clear to parents as well I think. But I found it rather annoying to have some mistakes like that.

Overall, this seat seems to have some nice usability features. I think the baseless install will confuse parents - but parents rarely try baseless installs anyways. For the parent who just throws the carseat in the car without even opening the manual? Well, there's definitely going to be more severe misuse compared to your snugride 22... but I do like the seat and I'm glad to see a new option coming in. It makes me wonder if it's the beginning of seats that meet new standards showing up?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Here are some pictures from the manual. If anyone wants some from specific areas of interest I can take them. Please don't mind the shadows since it's my phone camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

raelynn

Senior Community Member
It looks neat. I worry that with so many unique things with the install, that it could be a very misused seat.

mam521

What do you think its comparable to for width, Trudy? Doesn't appear to be a narrower option, but images are deceiving for sure!

snowbird25ca

It looks neat. I worry that with so many unique things with the install, that it could be a very misused seat.

I think when used with the base that it'll be really straight forward. Lock-offs are becoming almost more common than seats without lock-offs it seems, and the handle position is something that is going to have to be addressed since so many seats are changing.

Baseless though? I think it is loaded with potential for misuse. The lock-offs are really stiff to open for starters, and secondly, the separate weight limit is really possibly going to cause some serious confusion. It really makes me wonder why the seat has higher weight limit on the base than without the base - maybe bases really do add something to the performance of a seat and we just don't know it?

Is it going to be available as a stand alone?

Looks neato. :)

It is really neat - I think I want to go in on a day off just to try different installs and see how it fits, lol. I don't know if it will be available stand alone - I didn't think to look.

snowbird25ca

What do you think its comparable to for width, Trudy? Doesn't appear to be a narrower option, but images are deceiving for sure!

I'm not really sure on width - I was caught up in the lock-offs on the seat itself and the handle position, at which point I carried the manual around with me for the rest of the night trying to find time to read it. :cool:

You know you're a carseat geek when.... you ask management if you can take a manual home for the night to read it. :p

If I was to guess I'd say it's similar to a Sure Fit. Not as wide as a SR 35, probably not as narrow as a Baby Trend. So maybe average or a bit less than average?

geekKT

Thanks for the info, sounds neat! I'm not an infant seat person but maybe I'll go play with it and stick J in for fun.

ETA: Trudy, I could easily be convinced to bring my Sedona and kiddo (who might be too big now, but is well under the weight limit with the base) to the west end if you'd like.

snowbird25ca

Thanks for the info, sounds neat! I'm not an infant seat person but maybe I'll go play with it and stick J in for fun.

ETA: Trudy, I could easily be convinced to bring my Sedona and kiddo (who might be too big now, but is well under the weight limit with the base) to the west end if you'd like.

Oooo - that would be awesome if I can convince you of that. How tall is J now? It would actually be good to see how your kiddo fits in it since it's rated to 32" - might give a good comparison.

I've been debating going down there this morning, lol - I have to uninstall and reinstall Jonas' Nautilus to put the seatbelt behind it anyways since the kid insists on playing with it lately, so no big deal to take it out for the purpose of a bit of fun. ;) Of course, helping a customer would be even better and I don't see Sedona's very often. :D

geekKT

I just measured, he wont hold still but is a hair over 32 inches, and ~24lbs. So right at the limit for height. Long torso'ed.

We're free anytime after 2 today, or tomorrow morning or evening, or any day this week really.

snowbird25ca

Trudy,

Can you find out if it will be available as a stand alone seat? Depending on the shell height I might consider it.

I'll do a search in the system tonight if I have time. That won't be completely accurate because it doesn't always show in the search tool until it's already in stock.

Geekkt - got your PM. I'm at work starting at 5:30. It's usually about 7pm when it slows down if you're up for coming out that late? I'm going to send you an email with the store phone #. I'm hoping we're not short staffed tonight because the weather is gorgeous for playing with carseats and I don't think I've seen your little one yet. :)

geekKT

I figure I'll post my thoughts. I never used an infant seat but rather a TFP from birth, so your mileage may vary. I really liked this, though, and if I were to get an infant seat, this would be on the list of possibilities.

Among the things I like:
- the pattern, though once again its only on the infant insert
- the fabric seemed breathable
- the shell height. J is just over 32 inches, possibly 32.5, so he has exceeded the stated height limit. He had almost outgrown it by shell height, but did still fit with a bit of room to spare, in a cloth diaper. He's not a short kid, so had I been using this seat to it's limits I'd be finding a new one now at 15.5 months old. I haven't put him in a SR35 or anything recently to compare; I probably should have.
- it had decent leg room
- the sliding harness height adjustment was smooth and easy
- the base recline adjustment was easy as well
- the manual storage spot was convenient
- it installed easily with the base (Trudy did it)
- it felt well built and snapped into and out of the base easily

The dislikes:
- the baseless install in my Sedona would need a locking clip. We only tried a captain's chair, but my belts are not long enough to route behind the back of the seat. (this might be the one thing that would deter me from this seat, depending on how often I needed to do a baseless install)
- the lockoffs were stiff to open. I was afraid to wrench on them hard enough and made Trudy do it first. I do think they'd ease up with time.

Other things I noticed:
- the infant padding is similar to that of the TFP, though I think it's slightly more padded under the bum. It didn't seem to change the recline much, if any.
- it has little round windows for info holders on both sides of the handle.
- it looked narrow in the shoulders with J buckled in, but wasn't when I felt around. He fits well in the TFP's wide harness so he's not particularly narrow either.
- it has the same buckle tongs as the TrueFits that make the straps roll ever so slightly at the edges.
- the handle has to be down toward the feet in a rebound type position as Trudy mentioned. There's a small warning label by the head of the baby that illustrates this, though it's not super obvious. I probably would have missed it had I not been told or read the manual.
- J seemed to like it and tried to crawl back in a few times.
- The base release was maybe a bit stiffer to squeeze than some seats I've tried but still smooth.
- it's not a continuous harness, which apparently I rely on more than I thought.
- there are 5 harness heights, but 3 slots in the padding. I had a bit of a hard time telling if he was at/above/below the straps on the highest slot - it was close but a good fit.

The stroller it comes with is so-so. It seemed to steer well but felt heavy to turn at the same time. I liked that the seat is reversible. I don't like that if J got any taller, the canopy would have to come off and the footrest would be too short for him. It fit him well now, but wouldn't if he grew even a few inches. I wouldn't have used it to the weight limit or probably longer than another few months.

Thanks, Trudy, for playing seats with us!

Last edited:

mam521

I had a super quick peek at this today when we were at TRU. Trudy, you so weren't kidding that the lock offs are tough! I was afraid of reefing on them and breaking them but I am with geekKT and figure they'd loosen up over time.

The stroller is meh...no suspension in the wheels, basket isn't very big, soft parent organizer...

It would be nice to see the seat sold separately IMO.

canadiangie

I met this seat at Crossiron today.

The harness would not lay flat coming out of the fabric cutouts. It didn't matter what I did, the harness straps were sort of crinkled or sitting sort of sideways. Granted I had three impatient kids with me, so no time to fuss, but I did not like that aspect of the seat. Or, was I doing something wrong? :confused:

techie

Another new travel system at BRU today ........ Evenflo Eurotek w/ SecureRide35 seat. It's pretty nice! Got to play with it a bit today. Starts at 4lbs, which is nice. Infinite Slide Harness system. Infant padding. Anti-rebound handle (just like the new Via from FY).

snowbird25ca

Another new travel system at BRU today ........ Evenflo Eurotek w/ SecureRide35 seat. It's pretty nice! Got to play with it a bit today. Starts at 4lbs, which is nice. Infinite Slide Harness system. Infant padding. Anti-rebound handle (just like the new Via from FY).

Sweet! The seat made it in - does it go to 35lbs? And does the handle actually move forwards then like the Via? I expect to see a lot of the handle/rebound position thing... wonder if we'll have it in stock when I work on Friday? :)

snowbird25ca

I met this seat at Crossiron today.

The harness would not lay flat coming out of the fabric cutouts. It didn't matter what I did, the harness straps were sort of crinkled or sitting sort of sideways. Granted I had three impatient kids with me, so no time to fuss, but I did not like that aspect of the seat. Or, was I doing something wrong? :confused:

I noticed this on our display as well when it was at the top harness height. Strangely enough, when we buckled kiddo in to the seat, the straps were flat on his shoulders without any difficulty. It did bother me quite a lot until I saw that there wasn't any difficulty with getting them to sit properly on the kiddo.

techie

Sweet! The seat made it in - does it go to 35lbs? And does the handle actually move forwards then like the Via? I expect to see a lot of the handle/rebound position thing... wonder if we'll have it in stock when I work on Friday? :)

Yes, it's a 35lb seat. And yes, the handle moves forward, a la the Via. Same situation. One position for the car: forward against the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC