New seat for small 5 yr old

cartavena

I'm going to need a new seat in the next couple of months and thought I knew what I wanted, but am now second-guessing. Here's where we are now:

DS is 5.5, 35 lbs, 42" riding in a True Fit Premier in my car and harnessed in a Nautilus in DH's truck.

DD is 11 months, 17.5 lbs, 28" riding in a Snugride that expires in December of this year.

My plan was to get another Nautilus for DS and move DD to the TFP where she can RF until it expires in 11/16. We have an Evenflo Tribute that we can use for her in the truck, but I really hate that seat and wouldn't be opposed to getting something different even though it won't be used as much.

I feel like DS should stay harnessed a while longer because he's so small, but I don't know at what point I should move him to a booster. We haven't tried letting him use the Nautilus as a booster yet - I think he'll ride well but I don't know about the fit. He has plenty of room in the TFP, so I could just keep him there until he's ready for a booster and get a new seat for DD now. However, he is aware that most of his friends are in boosters and has asked when he gets one too.

What do you think? Thanks for your help!

ADS

Baylor

If he is 5 and can sit properly a booster is a good option. My kids boostered at that age. I would most likely get a great dedicated booster for a child that age.

Suzibeck

Personally, I would keep him harnessed in the main vehicle until he reaches 40#. I let my not yet 40# 6 yo ride in a booster in dh's car but she is still harnessed in my van. I like starting a booster on shorter rides and still having a harness available for longer rides. My kids have not done well boostered on long rides at first.

Tasha

CPS Technician
I also would keep him harnessed. My 5.5 year old is still harnessed in her Frontier in my car but is in a booster in my husbands truck. She only rides in the booster for shorter rides (no more than 20 minutes). If we are going anywhere further than 20 minutes in the truck we put her in the Frontier. My daughter asked the same question and I have told her, in our family the rules are that she is in a harnessed seat, other families may have different rules but this is our rule. She also that knows she has a "big kid" seat, and in her mind convertible and infant seats are for babies not combo seats like the Nautilus or Frontier. :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would get another Nautilus, which looks more "big kid" than a TrueFit. A booster wouldn't be a terrible choice, but like most previous posters, I'd prefer to see him harnessed still.

The Nautilus generally fits larger kids well as a booster: it may not be the greatest fit for a slim 35# child.

cartavena

Thanks everyone - I'll stick with my original plan and get him a Nautilus for my car. Unless there's another combo seat that's a better fit for skinny kids?

I appreciate your feedback!

henrietta

Thanks everyone - I'll stick with my original plan and get him a Nautilus for my car. Unless there's another combo seat that's a better fit for skinny kids?

I appreciate your feedback!

The Nautilus fits skinny kids in harnessed mode about the same as the Evenflo Secure Kid or Maestro or the Harmony Defender 360. In booster mode, I don't really like the Nauti for skinny kids. I don't think the lap belt fit is very good if a kid is narrow or really thin. I wouldn't allow my skinny minny kiddo to ride in his friend's Nauti at that size. It just didn't fit right. Now, my nephew, who is more average to above average in height and weight, fit perfectly in the Nauti as a booster when he outgrew the harness by height.

We have an Evenflo Secure Kid 300 that my just turned 6 year old rides in harnessed. He still fits in the harness, which I really didn't expect. He's 46 inches tall and 44 lbs. I love the belt fit when we use it as a booster, but the Nauti is easier to use in booster mode.

I would pass down the True Fit to the baby...and get the oldest another harnessed seat...a combo seat...it will look more like a big kid seat than the True Fit. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC