Need two new seats - Help! (long post)

MalkaChaya

We have two boys:
Kid: a tall, slim (but solid!) 4.5 y/o, 46# and 45"
Baby: 8 months old, 20# and nearly 30".

and I drive a 2012 Kia Sorento. I am tall and drive with my seat far back. Until now, Kid has been center in a SKJP Radian XTSL and Baby has been passenger-outboard in a Graco SafeSeat. My husband is tall(er!) and always has to drive when we are together because he just can't cram in the passenger seat in front of the SafeSeat. I want to have the seats adjacent to each other so there is still room for an adult passenger in the rear.

We need to buy new seats for both due to a minor accident last week (replacement not required but recommended) and I'm at a loss what to do. Here's the rundown:

Kid loves the Radian XTSL and so do I. Kid was upset to learn he's getting a new seat! I thought it would be a no-brainer for me to buy a Radian RXT for Baby. Baby is rear-facing and can be for a very long time with the 45# limit. I'll probably turn him around at age 2 like I did for Kid.

Bought the RXT already -- tried to install this evening and learned that it doesn't fit RF *anywhere*. I knew it wouldn't fit behind either front seat but I am shocked that it doesn't even fit well extended between the front seats. Do I return it? Make it work? What do I exchange for? I'm afraid that if I cope with having the seat butting into my shoulder while RF, I'll simply turn Baby FF sooner than I should so it doesn't annoy me anymore.

I still need to buy a harness seat for Kid (future booster option is a plus!) and I must put him in an outboard position. I'm considering the Britax Frontier 85. My problem is that I'm completely spoiled by how narrow the Radian is and don't think I have the real estate available to put a Frontier next to the center-positioned Radian. It would probably work alright as a harnessed seat; I can't imagine cramming a hand between the seats to buckle the belt for booster mode.

Will a Frontier fit well next to a Radian (while RF and then once turned FF?) Any other suggestions for Kid? Maybe I need to rethink Baby's seat choice too?

I have ruled out the Frontier 85 SICT because it is even wider than the basic Frontier. We have a Nautilus in another vehicle and it is a great W-I-D-E seat -- just doesn't fit where I need it now and Kid isn't happy with the lack of positions for the Nautilus crotch buckle...

More ideas, please. Help!

ADS

Jessica61624

I'd order the angle adjuster. It is for 1+ but I'd use it with an older infant with good head control. The best this to do it make a trip to babies r us and try out the fro tier next to the radian. Or order it from amazon or diapers.com. they both have a good return policy. The radian generally fits next to a frontier. The issue with the nauti is that its square and doesn't puzzle well with other seats.

One more option would be to let the older child ride ff in the radian and buy a britax for baby. It will get them to two rf. Then use the radian ff at 2 for the baby and buy the older child a booster. Britax seats take up less room than the radian. This is assuming the oldest has growing room.

MalkaChaya

Let me add that I don't *need* to have Kid outboard but it is preferable for school drop-off that he be passenger outboard or at least center (with Baby behind driver) so that he can unload safely at carpool. It's been a hassle with Baby riding on the passenger side.

Also, I know that Baby can't use the RXT side-impact wings yet and they will actually restrict how long he can use the seat since they will eventually push down on his shoulders like they almost are now for Kid even before he is "too tall."

The "booster mode" on the Radian is essentially useless to us. All reviews suggest that it is a lousy booster. Besides, once the seat is outgrown by height (and the side-impact wings push on the child's shoulders!) it can't be used as a booster anyway. And the minimum booster weight is 50# -- so my tall 4 y/o Kid can't use it as a booster now even if I wanted him to.

MalkaChaya

I installed the RXT in center (only place it fits RF) and took a ride to BRU to demo a Frontier. Installation is doable and safe but booster mode is completely out of the question. I can't fit a hair between the seats so Kid definitely can't buckle to booster.

I'm frustrated and give up. Think that my best bet now is to just cope with the suboptimal setup. When Kid is ready for booster, Baby will have to be moved FF in the outboard position.

Jessica61624

I installed the RXT in center (only place it fits RF) and took a ride to BRU to demo a Frontier. Installation is doable and safe but booster mode is completely out of the question. I can't fit a hair between the seats so Kid definitely can't buckle to booster.

I'm frustrated and give up. Think that my best bet now is to just cope with the suboptimal setup. When Kid is ready for booster, Baby will have to be moved FF in the outboard position.

That's the issue with boosters. You could always get a slimmer booster like the parkway or turbo. But the Frontier will last harnessed for a long time, no need to worry about that yet. By the there will be different seats out. I'd just worry about now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC