Need some helping deciding on a booster

mommabunch

Its time to start looking for a booster for my almost 5yr old to start booster training him. He is almost 40lbs (averaging about 38-39lbs). He also has about a 17" torso and is 45" tall. He rides in a Frontier85 full time in my vehicle and a Graco Nautilus in DH's car. But since he is almost 5 I want to start booster training him because I need to pass the Nautilus down to my nephew who just turned 3 and is about to outgrow his MyRide FF. My sister is a single parent so she needs all the help she can get and I would rather put my 5yr old in a booster part time then my 3 yr old 25lb nephew.

My other son (his twin) rides in a Turbo Booster in DH's car. I had to booster train him at 4 & 40lbs because at the time he had outgrown his radian and I didn't have the Nautilus or the money for one. Now they both have outgrown the radian.

So please give me some options and your opinions on seats.
THANKS!

ADS

mommabunch

I also wanted to say I know all about the parkway and turbo booster :)

I just wanted opinions on other seats before I decide.

What are your opinions of the Compass B530, First Years B505, Combi Kobuk Air, Recaro Vivo & PB, Evenflo Big Kid & the Safety First Boost Air.

I will not buy a Monterey. I had too many bad issues with my radians to ever trust the company again. Name change or no name change, still don't trust them.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Parkway or Monterey are probably the top solid, high-dollar, highest-headrest-position choices, Turbo is a good big box store choice. I guess your siggy is a little old? Or are your kids just mega-torso? They should both fit in the Radian, since you can use it with their shoulders a bit above the top slots. I'd also recommend the Harmony Dreamtime as a booster, but it's even shorter than the (fairly short) Turbo so probably not worth the investment.

mommabunch

Oh yeah I made the siggy over a year ago. I don't get on here often, just for big questions :) I don't trust the radian so I wouldn't trust using the harness with their shoulders above it. IMO just because they say you can, doesn't magically take away what can happen in any other seat of you use it with their shoulders above it. My kids are mega torso kids. They only have an inch left in the Nautilus at 4yrs 9months. We don't have the money to buy 2 more Frontier 85's. I will look at the Dreamtime. Thanks. Chances are I will end up getting him a parkway because he really wants cowmoo. But I just wanted other opinions. Ask me anything about infant, convertible and combination seats and I'll tell you, but boosters I'm not to savvy on.

Parkway or Monterey are probably the top solid, high-dollar, highest-headrest-position choices, Turbo is a good big box store choice. I guess your siggy is a little old? Or are your kids just mega-torso? They should both fit in the Radian, since you can use it with their shoulders a bit above the top slots. I'd also recommend the Harmony Dreamtime as a booster, but it's even shorter than the (fairly short) Turbo so probably not worth the investment.

Jan06twinmom

Have you had a chance to have your DS sit in some of the different seats? I think you have a good list of options, but you need to see how he fits in the seats. I thought that the Parkway would have been at the top of my list too, but then I didn't like how it fit my broad-shouldered DS.

It's wonderful that you are able to help out your sister too:)

Melanie

mommabunch

Jan06twinmom said:
Have you had a chance to have your DS sit in some of the different seats? I think you have a good list of options, but you need to see how he fits in the seats. I thought that the Parkway would have been at the top of my list too, but then I didn't like how it fit my broad-shouldered DS.

Melanie

Thank you. I havr tried him in the turbo and just today I tried him in the frontier in booster mode and it was a great fit. (I will upload a pic of it) I have a very limited amount of choices here without driving 45 min to go to a target or bru.

mommabunch

Jan06twinmom said:

Melanie

ForumRunner_20120420_144504.png

mommabunch

I'd just get him a turbo... let the boys have the same seat... lol

LOL I think thats what I'm going to do. I think I will take him and let him pick out the cover he wants and call it a day. With the FN's I have 2 beefier boosters and the turbo should be just fine for him in DH's car that he rides in MAYBE twice a week for like 10 min.

NannyMom

I agree with getting another Turbo or a Vivo. You son is the same weight as my daughter, but a few inches taller, so he must be pretty skinny. I don't like the way the Parkway fits skinny kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC