Need rec for booster - travel

debcano

You all seem so helpful so I thought I'd hit you up for ideas :)

DD is 4y9m, 43 inches, 42 lbs. At home she rides harnessed in a Nautilus. In a few weeks my parents are taking her on a trip to FL for 2 weeks. They have a car down there, but need to take a taxi from the airport to their house.

Normally when we travel with her I take her old Marathon, but I fear that if the taxi doesn't have LATCH, my parents won't be able to figure out the install with a seatbelt, plus the install in their car there is difficult due to contoured seats (Jaguar Xtype).

I was thinking of sending her with a new booster (the Nauti is too much of a beast to ask them to carry, lol). DH says to send her with a low back like Bubble Bum or LiteRider, but I think she should be in a HBB. My parents are more than willing to carry/check a HBB on the plane.

DD is a VERY compliant kid, so I have no doubts she can sit correctly in it. Obviously I would test her out in it at home first, and make sure my parents can get her in it correctly. She has napped just twice in the car in the last 3 years, so I'm not worried about her falling asleep, plus my mom can always sit in the back with her if it appears to be a problem. Most trips will just be around town, but there might be a 2 hour (each way) road trip involved.

I'm assuming everyone here agrees she should be in at least a HBB? So, what are my options for a lightweight HBB, preferably narrow? Is a center install preferable to outboard? I'll be able to use it again when we go to Disney in Nov, and then would leave it there for future FL trips, but still would like it to be budget friendly. :D

Thanks for your help!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

I would go with a Graco Turbobooster. It fits smaller children very well and it's economical. It's the seat I've been using with my DD since she hit 40lbs.

For flying, one suggestion is to put the back packed in a suitcase with clothes around it. If you have the room to do this, that would be ideal. It didn't work for us when we were traveling with two suitcases and needed 2 boosters so I ended up backing the back of the boosters in a car seat box which I checked.

Take the bottom (no back booster) on the plane. Your DD can take it as her personal item and one other item. My kids had their backpacks, boosters and a stuffed animal and there wasn't a problem.

If you get the Turbobooster, make sure to put the screws into the armrests. Many people forget to do that step.

Melanie

PikkuMyy

I wonder if the new Harmony V6 high back would work well with the contoured seats. As far as I know, the seat portion of the V6 is the same as a Harmony Cruz. The Harmony Cruz, while otherwise wide, has a narrow base.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Highback-Booster-Seat-Black/dp/B0069SHR4O"]Amazon.com: Harmony V6 Highback Booster Seat, Black Tech: Baby[/ame]

Since she's not a car napper, the Bubble Bum might be an ok option for her as long as she is able to stay in the proper position the whole ride, every ride. If you go with a no-back booster, I would ask one of your parents to sit in the back seat with her to make sure she stays in position.

I googled for pictures of the back seat of a Jaguar x type and it doesn't look nearly as countoured as I had imagined. I think the high back Turbo would work fine. The only problem with the seats I can see is that the booster might not go all the way back against the seat back. It looks like there's a hump between the seat back and the seat. The center seat looks flat but quite narrow. You'd have to try the booster there to see if it works. The center is preferred if the fit is good and there is a lap/shoulder belt. However, boosters get tippy in center positions sometimes.

ETA: Some of the pictures I'm looking at show a head restraint in the center but some don't. If you ever have her in a backless booster in the center, make sure her ears don't go past the seat back. Some high back boosters also require support from head restraints. Also, I don't know why this slipped my mind...but what about an Evenflo Maestro in harness mode? It's very light weight and quite simple to install with the seat belt.

debcano

You might be right, it might have been the recline of the seat that made it difficult to install, it's been a year since I've had to do it. That now sounds familiar. I can't remember if the center has a shoulder belt, or if it has a head rest. I remember the headrest being a PITA to remove outboard, since you had to tip the seats forward to do that. But that install will be at their house and they can take their time.

I'm really trying to avoid a seatbelt install. I can see my parents getting flustered trying to get it into the cab quickly, and my mom seemed nervous about it (though my dad will likely do that install so I should check with him).

Is the different between HBB and LBB mostly about them falling asleep? If so I'd consider LB, but I thought there was more to it than that.

A quick look on Walmar'ts page at the Turbobooster led me to the Big Kid Amp and Big Kid Sport as well, would either of those be good options? Do any of these have LATCH to keep in place (not a huge deal, but I thought i might keep the seat steadier). I might go look at the Maestro in person. It goes to booster mode later? Just HB? I can't really tell. Thanks!

PikkuMyy

You might be right, it might have been the recline of the seat that made it difficult to install, it's been a year since I've had to do it. That now sounds familiar. I can't remember if the center has a shoulder belt, or if it has a head rest. I remember the headrest being a PITA to remove outboard, since you had to tip the seats forward to do that. But that install will be at their house and they can take their time.

I'm really trying to avoid a seatbelt install. I can see my parents getting flustered trying to get it into the cab quickly, and my mom seemed nervous about it (though my dad will likely do that install so I should check with him).

Is the different between HBB and LBB mostly about them falling asleep? If so I'd consider LB, but I thought there was more to it than that.

A quick look on Walmar'ts page at the Turbobooster led me to the Big Kid Amp and Big Kid Sport as well, would either of those be good options? Do any of these have LATCH to keep in place (not a huge deal, but I thought i might keep the seat steadier). I might go look at the Maestro in person. It goes to booster mode later? Just HB? I can't really tell. Thanks!

Hopefully one of the more experienced techs will chime in, but as I've understood it, a no-back booster is just as safe as a high back if it gives the child a good seat belt fit, the child is not a car sleeper and there are no side airbags. I don't see the side air bag issue come up on here so much, but at seat check events and my tech class, I've been told that a high back protects the child's head from the impact of a side airbag deploying. However, I've read on here that there is a proof a high back booster actually protects the child's head in a side impact collision because the child's head might have already moved out of the protected area at that point. A high back booster does make it easier to adjust the shoulder belt and reminds the child to stay in position.

The Evenflo boosters are just as good if they provide the proper seat belt fit. Upon looking at pictures of the back seat again, I noticed that the buckle stalks (rigid and long) looks like they would be a nightmare to work with. Actually, with the Amp being higher up, I could see those buckle stalks working well with it. I'm not sure about the shoulder portion with the angled seat belt guides on the Evenflo boosters.

What year is the Jaguar?

ETA: The Maestro does turn into a belt positioning booster but it's outgrown at the same time as the harness because the head rest is not adjustable.

debcano

Hopefully one of the more experienced techs will chime in, but as I've understood it, a no-back booster is just as safe as a high back if it gives the child a good seat belt fit, the child is not a car sleeper and there are no side airbags. I don't see the side air bag issue come up on here so much, but at seat check events and my tech class, I've been told that a high back protects the child's head from the impact of a side airbag deploying. However, I've read on here that there is a proof a high back booster actually protects the child's head in a side impact collision because the child's head might have already moved out of the protected area at that point. A high back booster does make it easier to adjust the shoulder belt and reminds the child to stay in position.

The Evenflo boosters are just as good if they provide the proper seat belt fit. Upon looking at pictures of the back seat again, I noticed that the buckle stalks (rigid and long) looks like they would be a nightmare to work with. Actually, with the Amp being higher up, I could see those buckle stalks working well with it. I'm not sure about the shoulder portion with the angled seat belt guides on the Evenflo boosters.

What year is the Jaguar?

ETA: The Maestro does turn into a belt positioning booster but it's outgrown at the same time as the harness because the head rest is not adjustable.

It's a 2006 xtype. Edmunds tells me it has side/curtain airbags. I want to be clear about the part I bolded above, did you mean to say there's no proof? I'm confused.

I'll probably pass on the Maestro then b/c ideally I can use the seat long term there, we go visit every year.

I'd be curious to hear others chime in about the LBB, because obviously that would be easier to transport - if she's safe and can sit reliably. I agree that the HBB reminds her more of being harnessed.

Those stalks are a HUGE PITA, I curse them every time and have torn my hands apart getting installs. The car essentially sucks for any back seat passenger (It's tiny!), carseat or not. :p

PikkuMyy

It's a 2006 xtype. Edmunds tells me it has side/curtain airbags. I want to be clear about the part I bolded above, did you mean to say there's no proof? I'm confused.

I'll probably pass on the Maestro then b/c ideally I can use the seat long term there, we go visit every year.

I'd be curious to hear others chime in about the LBB, because obviously that would be easier to transport - if she's safe and can sit reliably. I agree that the HBB reminds her more of being harnessed.

Those stalks are a HUGE PITA, I curse them every time and have torn my hands apart getting installs. The car essentially sucks for any back seat passenger (It's tiny!), carseat or not. :p

Yes, I meant to say there is no proof. :) I found some discussion in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=220462

Here's another thread with links to studies: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=166345

As the parents of a 5.5 year old, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in a no back booster. However, he still falls asleep in the car at times and doesn't sit still even in a HBB for the whole ride. He's still harnessed 95% of the time. However, your daughter sounds like the opposite. ;) I wouldn't recommend a no back booster for full time use and even for travel, I would rather see her in a high back. That being said, I see no evidence that a high back would be exponentially safer.

Jan06twinmom

There is a lot of debate about this question. I know more recent studies show that the LBB and HBB are equally safe. Some previous studies suggested that the HBB was safer.

For a under 5yo who is just moving to a booster seat, I would really prefer having her in a hbb. The hbb keeps the shoulder belt in the right position and will help her sit upright properly in her seat. My twins rode in a nbb for the first time at 7y3m and that was just because our booster seat backs were not compatible with our rental car.

Brianna

My concern for a brand new booster rider in a backless is that she won't have the support of the high back to remind her to stay in place. Will grandparents be diligent about making sure she stays in position or are they the type that thinks she's "good enough" just because she's in a booster?

debcano

My parents are really diligent with car seats/safety (they had a bucket seat for my older brother in 1974!), especially since my toddler won't be with them to distract.

That said, I'd feel better if she was in a HBB, mostly b/c it will remind her to sit up straight.

So, given the car and it's annoying back seat, what HBB will fit the best, keeping it under $80? The car is in FL so I won't be able to test fit.

I'm all over a a Bubblebum 2 years from now though :p

Brianna

If they will be able to put it back together, hands down I would go for a Turbo. Put the backless portion in her carry-on and pack the back in a suitcase padded with clothes. This way if the luggage is lost you still have the backless portion. The Turbo provides an excellent belt fit on the majority of young booster riders. This picture demonstrates how the belt should fit https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/i...IR7xAghUBy28BGJmcSS50ExCsfvCT4qaVPyTnh6BxbkUA

*Edit to add- another bonus of the Turbo is that it's easy to remember if the belt is routed properly- it's red where the belt needs to be, both the shoulder belt guides and the lap belt guides.

debcano

I just looked at the manual for the graco and it seems fairly straight forward to just snap the two pieces together. I can't find the manual for the AMP but I assume it's similar. I will let my parents decide if they wish to carry it in her luggage, or just gate check it put together in a bag (direct flight).

How are the Big kid AMP and big kid Sport different?

Brianna

I wouldn't take the chance of not having at least the backless portion, so I personally would insist she carry the backless portion in a backpack for her carryon. I wouldn't want the back damaged, or lost (can happen on a direct flight) so again I personally would insist the back goes in a suitcase.

Off the top of my head I can't name the differences between the Evenflo boosters, but they don't provide an across the board good fit like the Turbo does. Remember that fit can change between vehicles as well.

PikkuMyy

I just looked at the manual for the graco and it seems fairly straight forward to just snap the two pieces together. I can't find the manual for the AMP but I assume it's similar. I will let my parents decide if they wish to carry it in her luggage, or just gate check it put together in a bag (direct flight).

How are the Big kid AMP and big kid Sport different?

It can be tricky to align the back and seat portion of the Turbo just-so to click in place. It's sort of like a hinge the way they go together. Go to Target and play with the display model. :)

The back portion of the AMP clicks in and comes off by pressing on a tab at the bottom of the seat. Target also carries the AMP high back, so you could compare that with the Turbo.

The Big Kid Sport has the same seat back as the AMP. The seat portion of the [BKS has arm rests that can be lifted up] **I was wrong, it looks exactly like the AMP with a different style cover. Some other Evenflo boosters are like this though.** to get into the seat and the cupholders can be pulled out on either side. The cup holders on the AMP are built into the seat and have elastic to hold in a cup. Some of the Evenflo boosters also have a reading light near the belt guides but not on the AMP. It might be the BKS...

I agree with Brianna on both counts. Bring seat portion as carry on, pack the back portion and Evenflo boosters aren't as reliable as far as fit goes.

Last edited:

debcano

Gotcha. I assume I will have to remove the armrests to get in her backpack, but should be pretty easy.

Turbobooster it is then!

Thanks for everyone's help :)

Now to convince them to give up precious suitcase space for the back :p

debcano

I definitely didn't pick that up from the manual! :thanx!:

Can't it just go in an overhead bin? When I get it I will see if it fits in her lands end backpack, which is fairly roomy. Just less room for on-board entertainment. ;)

Brianna

Hm. I suppose she gets one personal item and one carryon, so if it fits in the overhead bin that should be fine. The problem with carrying it loose is that the airline attendants may think you're trying to use it on the plane, which isn't allowed.

hedgefun

Brianna said:
Hm. I suppose she gets one personal item and one carryon, so if it fits in the overhead bin that should be fine. The problem with carrying it loose is that the airline attendants may think you're trying to use it on the plane, which isn't allowed.

As lon as she's with the grandparents, I don't think it would be too much of a hassle if they just say, "No, it's going in the overhead." Or have people had issues even after telling the FA it wasn't going to be used on the plane?

The other potential solution could be to see what other small bags you have that fit the bottom portion. She can always carry her backpack and another small bag with the turbo bottom in it and still meet the 1+1 item limit. Backpack can go under the seat, bag with turbo in the overhead.

Jan06twinmom

I definitely didn't pick that up from the manual! :thanx!:

Can't it just go in an overhead bin? When I get it I will see if it fits in her lands end backpack, which is fairly roomy. Just less room for on-board entertainment. ;)

The nbb turbobooster fits well in the overhead bin. We've also put it under the seat in front of our children with their backpacks on top of the nbb.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC