Need opinions on Frontier 85 w/ or w/o SICT

Y4X1

I am pretty well sold on the Frontier, but can't decide on the SICT. I've searched the forums and there doesn't seem to be a strong feeling for or against them.

DD will be 5 in August. She is small (36 lbs) so she is still RF in a Radian in my car and a MR 65 in DH's truck.

She just went through a growth spurt and is now too tall to RF in the MR. I'm going to turn her FF for Dh's truck but keep her RF in the Radian until her birthday. I told her she's getting a big girl seat that faces the other way for her birthday ;)

I drive a Kia Sedona (2008). It does have side airbags. I have 9.5 year old twins who just recently moved out of their boosters and are now just in seatbelts. One in the middle, one in the 3rd row. Right now we have bucket seats but if we ever got another car, that wasn't a van (someday!), I would be concerned about the width of the SICT.

Does anyone have any BTDT advice? I just can't decide if it's worth it? Also, what about the fabric on the SICT? Is it that much nicer? Really, the only reason I'm replacing the Radian is the cover is just a hot mess.. I can't find a replacement cover that isn't almost as much as the seat!

Thanks for any advice :)

Laura

ADS

aept

In my personal opinion, the SICT was just way too big. It seemed to make it really a nuisance unless you only needed to fit one or two kids in your car. I have three, and so do you.

The way I see it, the frontier 85 is already pretty substantial. If its in a bigger vehicle like a minivan, it is probably already in a position that is pretty inherently safe. Our Frontier 85 is in our third row center, or maybe we will move it to a second row captians chair some day.

If it is in a smaller and/or older vehicle with no side airbags or similar protection, then the SICT might be nice, but for a family with three kids, impractical as there's no way you can fit everyone. TBH, it would still be hard to do any three-kids-across with even a Frontier85, but might be doable in a larger sedan and with some kids who are big enough to 5-step.

I saw the SICT and the regular frontier 85 side by side at buy buy baby and I did not notice a significant difference in the quality of the fabric. I ended up ordering a cowmoo Frontier 85 from Amazon and have been happy with my decision.

Last edited:

Phineasmama

I agree with the above. We were putting the FR85 in our van, which is already a very safe vehicle. We have 3 kids. If I ever wanted to use it in my CR-V I wouldn't be able to get 3 across with the SICT.

If I only had 2 kids, and I found a REALLY great deal on the SICT, I might go for it. Or in a really small tin can type car I might feel better using the SICT.

But we went with the regular FR85.

Y4X1

Thanks guys! I just got back in from turning the MR65 in DH's truck. He rides with all three of them in the back of a quad cab, she's on the outboard. I was shocked at how much room the MR takes up! Whichever twin is sitting next to her is NOT going to be pleased. I can't imagine adding INCHES to that..

I appreciate the input.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the SICT!

Laura

Phineasmama

If your DD is so small and you have two other kids riding back there what about a thinner seat like the Maestro? The Frontier is still going to take up a lot of room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC