Need new seats after accident - 2 year old & 7 year old

TheNimpsGirl

Due to an accident today (kids and driver are fine but car will probably be totaled out), my kids will need new seats and I am sadly outside the car seat loop.

Both of my kids are on the larger size. My daughter is 27 months old and is 35lbs and wears 3T pants and 3T shirts, with her torso and legs being about equal. She is currently RFing in a BLVD CT in my car and one in my mom's (this is the car that was in the accident) and a Radian XTSL (about 4 years left on it) in my husband's truck.

My son is 7 and is 75lbs and wears 8/10 shirts and 8 pants (tiny waist) with longer legs than torso. He is still riding harnessed in a FR90 in 3 vehicles but does use a booster (Harmony Dreamtime - not in love with this one but the price was right for the once or twice a month he uses it) in my in-laws cars for quick rides. He is seconds away from being too tall for the harness though, I was honestly surprised he made it through winter. That being said, he is not a neurotypical child and struggles at times to stay in position 100%, but with extra practice and help from his OT he's making great progress in just the last month :dance:

I am not worried about the price of the seats, our insurance will reimburse me the cost and there isn't a limit on the amount (yay Progressive!).

I was thinking of just getting another BLVD CT for my daughter cause my mom loves the easy install but at 35lbs is it wise? Is something like it but with a higher limit? I'm fine with giving her my CT and getting some new for mine that is not as installation friendly too.

I don't have a clue what to get for my son for a HBB. He is "picky" with fabric textures (his favorite fabric has been his cowmooflage with his most hated being the XTSL) but if he could decorate it with stickers or if it came with a cup holder I'm sure I could bribe him into it :rolleyes:

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Glad everyone is ok!

The good thing is weight gain will probably be slow at her age. My kids often are 35 lbs before 2 but not 40 until around 4. If your mom likes the ClickTight there isn't really anything as easy. If you want to hedge your bets on longer rf time you could look at the Graco Extend2Fit or other seat with a higher limit.

For your son, I would get him a nice, tall, LATCHable (if you have lower anchors) booster in whichever car is least ridden in, and rotate the Frontier to the higher use (or lower supervision) car (if needed.)

TheNimpsGirl

Thanks so much for the suggestions :)

Should I try and find a HBB that goes over 100lbs? He saw the Oobr in Tokidoki All Over and deemed it "awesome" due to the ninjas, bulldogs and skulls (he also liked the Rebel and Outerspace but ninjas are cooler he tells me). I see it only goes to 100lbs. Given his age (7), would that be fine? Does it seem to fit larger kids well?
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The main issue with the Oobr as kids grow is lack of leg support. I think he would probably be happier in a different booster if you want a high back long term. Even with a pillow for a footrest we had to move my daughter out of the Oobr at ten, because her legs were falling asleep.

TheNimpsGirl

Oh good to know!

We drove from MI to D.C. this summer (not sure I'd recommend that!) and he complained about his legs in the Frontier being "fuzzy feeling" which normally he has no problem. It took a while to get him to stop mentioning it on short trips (like to school) even when we came back home, as one of his issues is once he declares something a "problem" it takes major convincing (and/or bribery) to get him over it.

I think I will probably just end up dragging him to Buy Buy Baby this weekend. I haven't played with new car seats in a year and a half so it would be a good excuse to look at them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC