Need new seat for 2 1/2 yr. old... help?

ZacsMom

Can I get your suggestions on which is the BEST carseat for my 2 1/2 year old? He is 35 lbs and 37 inches tall and I want something that will last and with a 5 pt harness that can be used for at least up to 50 lbs...
He currently uses the Graco Safeseat Step 2 and we LOVE it, but he's 5 lbs away from the max weight. I'd like to go shopping tonight so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

ADS

lamamaloca

It will probably take him quite a long while to gain that 5 lbs, maybe even a year or more, so I personally would not go shopping now if he still fits in the carseat by height. Who knows what will be available in a year?

ETA: I saw the other thread and see why you need a new seat. I don't have much advice, then! Probably a Britax Marathon is what you'd be most likely to find in person.

Last edited:

munchkin

My son loves his Apex 65..Harnessed to 65 pounds and then booster to 100 pounds....must have high back seats! Camden is in heaven in this seat. It is soft and comfy. I recommend it!
This is the one we got!
http://albeebaby.com/sa1stsibiboc.html

I am interested in getting this seat for my niece. When you say high seat backs could you please tell me approximately how high (like how many inches from seat to top of seat back). I have a 07 Ford Focus and been reading all the threads to see if it will fit. Thanks!

ZacsMom

We just got a new replacement seat for our Safeseat and instead of installing the new seat I wanted to sell the new replacement and use that money towards a new/different seat with higher weight limit. I think I'd rather get the new seat now so I can just sell this Step 2 as NEW since I'm going to have to get a seat with higher weight max anyway. I might as well get my money back out of that seat and use it towards a new/diff. seat if you know what I mean (am i making sense? LoL) I dont' want to sell a used carseat and since I'll have to buy one anyway I might as well start looking now. THat's my thinking on the issue.

ZacsMom

I will be using it in a Saturn VUE but soon to be a Honda Odyssey. I'm not sure on his torso height, he's asleep right now. ;)

crunchierthanthou

So, you need it today in order to leave the SS2 in the box, correct?

Do you have a USA Baby nearby? How about Target or BRU?

These would be my top 3 choices (in no particlar order)

-Britax Marathon on sale this week at Target
-SK Radian65 at USA Baby.
-Britax Regent at BRU (see if you can get them to pricematch the $209 at babyage)

ZacsMom

So, you need it today in order to leave the SS2 in the box, correct?

Do you have a USA Baby nearby? How about Target or BRU?

These would be my top 3 choices (in no particlar order)

-Britax Marathon on sale this week at Target
-SK Radian65 at USA Baby.
-Britax Regent at BRU (see if you can get them to pricematch the $209 at babyage)

Thank you...no I dont need it today. I have time to send Graco back the other seat which is still in my car...
thanks for those tips!

crunchierthanthou

Having time to order a seat does give you a few more options. Really, it depends on your budget and how long you would like to keep him harnessed. Each of the HWH seats have pros and cons:

You use the seated torso measurement. It will give you an idea of how much longer he'll have in each of these seats.

MA- 17" ff to 65 lb (most straightforward to install, but has the lowest harness.)

Radian65- 17", but you can use it up to 18" ff to 65 lb (both a bit taller and less expensive than the MA, but can be difficult to install.)

Recaro Como- 19" ff to 70 lb (new and still has some issues that need clarification, but most of them are regarding rf installation. It's the most expensive- this week, at least - but has the second highest harness and isn't as wide as the regent.)

Regent- 21" ff to 80 lb (will fit longest, but is really wide and can be difficult to install.)

Apex65 (and clones) - somewhere between 17" and 19". I've seen conflicting data on this one. Most stats cite 17", while real life data suggests it might be taller. ff to 65 lb (the least expensive, but is nearly as wide as the regent and must have headrests behind it).

Was that just more confusing? ;) Since he already has a 15" torso at 2.5 years, I'd be looking at the Como or Regent.

ZacsMom

Thank you greatly for your input... I think I am leaning towards a Britax. There is no limit to budget when his safety is the concern so if we have to fork over the dough for a Britax, we will. I was also looking at the Radian and FPSV today...but in all honestly dh wants to stick with "Made in the USA."
So between the MA and the Regent your recommend the Regent then? I want to use the harness as long as possible.

MumtotinyM

Between the marathon and regent, I would choose regent. Since your son is already 2 1\2 and over the rearfacing weight, you will get more use out of a regent.

crunchierthanthou

Thank you greatly for your input... I think I am leaning towards a Britax. There is no limit to budget when his safety is the concern so if we have to fork over the dough for a Britax, we will. I was also looking at the Radian and FPSV today...but in all honestly dh wants to stick with "Made in the USA."
So between the MA and the Regent your recommend the Regent then? I want to use the harness as long as possible.

Like the PPs, I would recommend the Regent based on his current size and age. It looks like a good week to buy one. :thumbsup:

ZacsMom

Thank you. I went to BBRUS to try the Regent out w/my son, just to see it in person and set him in it. It appears to be pretty comfy!
I did like it, it also appears that the harnesses would be pretty easy to rethread/adjust am I correct?
I do notice that is is BY FAR more low profile than his current Step 2 and he sits more erect in it. These are good things I imagine?
I notice his step 2 has very wide wings around head and thighs but the regent seems to be very form fitting w/the car seats themselves and not much "wing" at all... I assume this is fine since this seat has such high reviews?
Where can I get this the cheapest (where is it on sale again?)

Thanks agian!

MumtotinyM

www.babyage.com has the regent for $209. I think one of the reasons it is more open then say a marathon or your graco step 2 is because it is a seat that can be used for older kids. The openness provides more shoulder and thigh room for the larger\bigger children.:twocents:

queento4kings

I am interested in getting this seat for my niece. When you say high seat backs could you please tell me approximately how high (like how many inches from seat to top of seat back). I have a 07 Ford Focus and been reading all the threads to see if it will fit. Thanks!

Your seat must have head rest is from what I understand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC