Question Need input ASAP! 2008 Acadia and Radian XTSL

Marvin711

RN XTSL is FF. Must be installed on captains chair and FF. No other option. LATCH installation.

Headrests are non removable, I've tried on my own and dealer says they aren't as well. It is interfering with install. When seat back is completely upright I can fit my entire arm between car seat and vehicle seat and seat isn't tight enough. I reclined vehicle seat slightly and it greatly improved install. Plan right now is to go with that....unless there is a major reason I shouldn't and someone has a tip or trick.

This is a family member's vehicle. We discussed today how it might not be compatible with vehicle in this position and they are planning to get a new seat. However, to travel 10 plus hours home tomorrow this has to work.

Secondary, since they are contemplating a new seat for this child/this car does anyone has suggestions of what would be good choice for this seating position. Child is 3, slightly small build. Price not a concern.

ADS

Marvin711

Thanks! I will add that to their short list of what to buy when they get home.
Any input on seat recline? Is there something else we should try instead?

careynj

No, sorry. I just got my radian and don't have a ton of experience installing it. Have you tried it RFing? Also did you try it FFing with the radian in both of its recline positions?

Marvin711

Yes it works RFing but no boot with them on trip. :( sent them off with vehicle seat slightly reclined best we could do for today!
This is why I have a love/hate with Radian!!

aeormsby

I would think the manual is the same as my Saturn Outlook (it's the same vehicle) and it recommends reclining the seats back all the way especially when using LATCH. Check the manual.

Also, the headrests are removeable but I would only do it if you plan on leaving a carseat there long term (not easy to remove & completely re-install.). If you push down on the fabric around the headrest posts there is a little 'C' shaped wire clip, pull that off of both posts and the headrest will pull out.

ETA - generally the gap between the seat and back is acceptable as long as the installation is tight. I know we always had a gap with our FF Marathons. But (unless it's changed) I believe the Nautilus actually requires the back to have full contact so that may not be the best option. Our Frontiers fit pretty well, the headrest of the Frontier is forward enough that it has less interference.

Marvin711

aeormsby said:
I would think the manual is the same as my Saturn Outlook (it's the same vehicle) and it recommends reclining the seats back all the way especially when using LATCH. Check the manual.

Also, the headrests are removeable but I would only do it if you plan on leaving a carseat there long term (not easy to remove & completely re-install.). If you push down on the fabric around the headrest posts there is a little 'C' shaped wire clip, pull that off of both posts and the headrest will pull out.

ETA - generally the gap between the seat and back is acceptable as long as the installation is tight. I know we always had a gap with our FF Marathons. But (unless it's changed) I believe the Nautilus actually requires the back to have full contact so that may not be the best option. Our Frontiers fit pretty well, the headrest of the Frontier is forward enough that it has less interference.

Thank you for the info! Installation was not tight with the gap which is why it concerned me. They are thinking of putting a Blvd or Frontier there instead so glad to see a Frontier fits nicely! They took car to dealer and they refused to remove headrests....need to check it out for little clip that you mentioned though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC