Need inexpensive seat recommendation for OLD van

Keeanh

Well, it does help, actually, to be able to rule out a seat! There are so many out there to pick from, and I wouldn't have a clue which ones would be best for his torso length, so thank you! :)

Here's a link to my favourite resource, the measurements datatables:
http://sites.google.com/site/carseatmeasurements/

There's still no substitute for trying a child out in a seat, but it's a good place to start. You can see how the different shell heights compare. To get a general idea, you can see how much room your son has left in his current seat (what is it, BTW?), and then compare that seat's measurements to the others you're considering.

Also remember, there are a whole bunch of seats on that table that aren't available in Canada.

ADS

Keeanh

I'm fairly certain they are rf till 35 lbs now. The website still says 30 lbs, but often websites aren't correct or updated.

Gotcha! If they had updated the website and included "Scenera shell" in the description, I may have looked at it when it was on sale, LOL.

Twinklefae

Gotcha! If they had updated the website and included "Scenera shell" in the description, I may have looked at it when it was on sale, LOL.

Many of the Scenera's at CT in my area are old stock - it's the only place in town where they still have the old 30lbs rf'ing Scenera's. :rolleyes: They are also generally a year or two old.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Not the OP, but the Safari is the same vehicle. All belts in OP's vehicle are likely locking latchplates. Shoulder-lap outboard, lap belts centre. It's a super-easy vehicle to install in, but I've never tried a Radian, LOL.

The Radian installs beautifully in the Safari (ergo the Astro too,) particularly in the center position, but I also had it second row outboard (near the door) and it worked okay. Unfortunately it's far from the recommendation of inexpensive. :cool:

The TrueFit goes in with the lap belt only beautifully, and would also work second row outboard, but beware the third row outboard (as Kenah and I have recently discussed, lol.) The biggest hangup is that those belts are THICK, and it can make the lockoffs hard to close.

OP, how old is your DD? Is she in a booster? Just concerned that she was RFing in a TF and now you reference "no other carseats," I want to make sure that she's properly restrained, too. :) The other option might be -- if she's in a seat elsewhere but won't be riding in the van -- to turn her seat around RF for the van and buy her a new seat.

Honestly, there wasn't a seat I found that didn't play well with the van when I had it, and it was wide enough for any three-across I could dream up. (RFing, I used a TrueFit, MyRide, Scenera, Radian, and SR22, with and without base. I think an old style Triumph, a Touriva, and an Evenflo bucket, too. Probably more, but I'd transported so many kids in it I don't remember, lol.) I don't miss many things, but in moving to my Pilot's miniature third row -- I miss the width greatly. Not sure when they started putting TAs in vehicles up there, but if your Astro has them they are very small squares on the "feet" of the second row (both outboards) and third row passenger outboard. They're very easy to miss. Or at least that's how they are in the American version.

How much do MyRides or Complete Airs run up there? Might you be able to get one on super-sale, for a decent price?

Option #47 (lol) might be to move your son's current seat into the van, and get him a new main ride... especially if you're interested in RFing quite a bit longer and his current seat will be outgrown (by height, since obviously not weight) sooner rather than later. It might be easier to swallow a higher price tag if you're going to use a new seat on an everyday basis.

oddduck

The Radian installs beautifully in the Safari (ergo the Astro too,) particularly in the center position, but I also had it second row outboard (near the door) and it worked okay. Unfortunately it's far from the recommendation of inexpensive. :cool:

The TrueFit goes in with the lap belt only beautifully, and would also work second row outboard, but beware the third row outboard (as Kenah and I have recently discussed, lol.) The biggest hangup is that those belts are THICK, and it can make the lockoffs hard to close.

OP, how old is your DD? Is she in a booster? Just concerned that she was RFing in a TF and now you reference "no other carseats," I want to make sure that she's properly restrained, too. :) The other option might be -- if she's in a seat elsewhere but won't be riding in the van -- to turn her seat around RF for the van and buy her a new seat.

Honestly, there wasn't a seat I found that didn't play well with the van when I had it, and it was wide enough for any three-across I could dream up. (RFing, I used a TrueFit, MyRide, Scenera, Radian, and SR22, with and without base. I think an old style Triumph, a Touriva, and an Evenflo bucket, too. Probably more, but I'd transported so many kids in it I don't remember, lol.) I don't miss many things, but in moving to my Pilot's miniature third row -- I miss the width greatly. Not sure when they started putting TAs in vehicles up there, but if your Astro has them they are very small squares on the "feet" of the second row (both outboards) and third row passenger outboard. They're very easy to miss. Or at least that's how they are in the American version.

How much do MyRides or Complete Airs run up there? Might you be able to get one on super-sale, for a decent price?

Option #47 (lol) might be to move your son's current seat into the van, and get him a new main ride... especially if you're interested in RFing quite a bit longer and his current seat will be outgrown (by height, since obviously not weight) sooner rather than later. It might be easier to swallow a higher price tag if you're going to use a new seat on an everyday basis.

My Rides (@ Walmart at least) are quite reasonable ($159.97) - http://www.walmart.ca/Baby/Gear/Travel-Systems/My-Ride-65-Convertible-Car-Seat

Complete Air's are still a bit high ($199.99) - http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3674637

Panonim

Phew, OK, thanks for all the brainstorming!! :D

The seat would not go in the third row, that I am sure of, as it's just plain more awkward to reach when he is the only one riding back there. Like I said, I wouldn't mind the TF, if only it were easier to adjust the straps RFing. DH reallllly complained about that one when we had DD RFing in it.

My DD is 4, and she's FFing in the TF right now in our main van. She won't ride in the old Astro van at all because it's strictly our third vehicle - for when we need to each take a kid somewhere at the same time. For the most part, it's me taking DD to dance class, or shopping for clothes or something, and DH wants to be able to go out with DS at that time, rather than be stuck home with no carseat. I know lots of people move carseats back and forth from one car to another, but I guess we're just too lazy to do that. :cool: Not to mention that I am paranoid about installation and wouldn't want to worry about it that frequently. Oh, and our second vehicle is DH's utility work van with absolutely no seats in the back so it's not an option.

DS's current seat in the main van is the Britax Marathon. I know he's got 5 lbs left in that before the RFing limit, which should be at least a year for him, I'm guessing. I can't recall how close he is to the top of the shell on that seat though, I should check that.

Seems that nothing's on sale at TRU right now, both online and in stores. I think we might have just missed a sale there actually. :rolleyes: But I will check Zellers and Walmart.

Keeanh

Oh that MyRide looks appealling! RF to 40 lbs! Any idea how DS would fit in that torso-wise? His torso height is 12.5".

If you don't hear from anyone by tomorrow morning, I'll put my daughter in ours. She has identical stats to your little guy. The MyRide was supposed to be her seat, but 4yo saw the pillow and fell in love with it, LOL. So that's the story for anyone who has ever looked at my siggie and thought "Why on Earth does she have a FF MyRide & a RF Truefit?".

Keeanh

Child is 28 months, 30lbs, 13" torso, 20.5" seated to top of head, 35" total height. A bit bigger than your guy -- she's grown quite a bit since I last measured her!

Middle bench is in middle position, front passenger seat all the way back. No, I don't normally drive around with lumber in my van, LOL.
IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

Disclaimer: The straps are in the top slots because that's her sister's FF seat.
IMG_5114.JPG

Access to the adjuster:
IMG_5117.JPG

Just for reference, since you have the TF. She's not buckled, but that's where her head is when she's strapped in.
IMG_5118.JPG

Panonim

Lesley, thank you so much for that!

Can someone remind me - when does a child outgrow the seat in height - is it when the top of the head reaches the top of the seat, or is it the ears, or am I totally wrong?

Keeanh

Lesley, thank you so much for that!

Can someone remind me - when does a child outgrow the seat in height - is it when the top of the head reaches the top of the seat, or is it the ears, or am I totally wrong?

Generally speaking, RF is 1" from the top of the shell, FF is when their ears reach the top of the seat. But you need to check the manual. Some manuals have a rather meaningless "total height" rear-facing restriction. Most people choose to ignore that in favour of the 1" guideline. I'll check the MR manual (I use it FF, so don't know off the top of my head).

ETA: Yes, the MyRide is 1" of shell above the head for RF, top of ears for FF.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC