Need Help!!

hjal05

My 3.5 year old has learned how to unbuckle herself. She is currently riding in a TF ff. Today as I'm driving down the road she proceeds to climb out of her carseat and sat in the middle seat just grinning. Thankfully we were on our gravel road right next to the house. But this isn't the first time this has happened. Is there any seats out there that are harder to get undone?

ADS

firemomof3

We hear this alot, my ds also went through a phase where he was unbuckling himself :mad: Solution? Tough love mama :thumbsup:
I pulled the car over right away and scolded him, gently. I buckled him and continued.

Mommy0608

I'd start with a good scolding right away and of course stopping to rebuckle. If, however, the behavior continues and it seems that it could possibly be an attention-getting act, I'd simply stop the vehicle, rebuckle the child, and go on with the drive without saying a word. If the child is doing it to get your attention, it won't be as fun if she doesn't get a rise out of you. ;)

Is she unbuckling both the crotch buckle and the chest clip, or just one piece?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
my nearly 4 year old just figured it out last week :mad::eek::mad:
I left them in the driveway and ran back into the house for the diaper bag, came out to her adjusting the radio :thumbsdown:
She has been told if she ever does it while we are moving, I will spank her butt and she will be moved to the front row with no movies...she hasn't tried it, but did unbuckle once while pulling in the driveway. I scolded her and re-buckled her, she has since asked once we stop "can I get out now?"

hjal05

I don't think that its for attention she simply doesn't like riding in a carseat. She unbuckles both the chest clip and the crotch buckles. She can also strap herself in. She usually insists on strapping herself in than I will check to make sure everything is good and secure. The first time she did it we were driving down a major highway. I pulled into a gravel road scolded her and rebuckled. When we returned home she sat in time out. Today since we were on our gravel road which is a long lane to our house I made her go straight inside and sit in time out. I'm afraid she is going to unbuckle herself and I'm not going to know it. I don't have a mirror to see to the backseats anymore so I can't check on her. I'm hoping that today I got my point across and it doesn't happen again.

cryway903

If scolding doesn't work could you try rewarding her? If you stay in your seat you can...

I dont know that buying a new seat for this problem would help because she may well master opening the new seat and then you'd just be out the money but I just bought my almost 5 yo a Radian xtsl and my 11 yo can't unbuckled it. She can open the chest clip but neither my 4 or 7 yo can open either buckle. It is a very tight (is that the right word?) Buckle.

cookie123

I think the Avenue is hard to unbuckle. Is she significantly under 40 lbs that she'd fit in that? Still I'd also try rewarding her for 'good' car seat behavior. Do you have any other kids back there that can tell on her:)

icnee

You could try teaching her why she needs to be in her car seat. I used the crash test videos on you tube to teach my kids.

Jocey'sMommy

I had this prob with my 3yr old and we solved it!!! I told her exactly what could happen if she is unbucked in the car. I tell her that if she is not buckled up and mommy has an accident that she will fly out of the car and get hurt!! I acted very dramatic about it so that she would know that it was a big deal. I realize that this is very direct for a 3yr old but this it is very dangerous and they need to know this. I rarely have problems with it anymore and when she does occasionally unbuckle her self prematurely when we are about to park or something I remind her that it will hurt her and she immedialy rebuckles herself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC