Question Need advice on purchasing a booster seat for a 9 (almost 10) yr old boy.

S

Stacy Murphy

Hello all,

We will be moving from the states to Germany in the next 6 weeks and the law there requires that children under the age of 12 ride in boosters. (I'm dreading that conversation with my son) My son is 4 ft, 7 inches and weighs 59 pounds. Yes, he is a skinny one, but I know he doesn't fit well in the standard cosco or graco (no-back) boosters. Does anyone have suggestions on what is available that wouldn't be so obvious that he would balk any more than he already will and that is also going to be comfortable to quick for travel?

Thanks in advance.

Stacy

ADS

Kegracin

Check out the Evenflo Amp low back booster I've been told its cool. Or another is that you take him some where like target and have him sit in them and pick one out him self.

Keeanh

My son is almost 10yo, 4'8", 75lbs and is very comfortable in his Apramo booster which is basically a twin of the Harmony Literider. Rather than telling him "I know this sucks, but it's the law" kind of thing (reinforcing negative feelings about the booster), you could point out how much better the belt fits him and how much safer and more comfortable he'll be. And make sure he knows that other kids his age will be in boosters too.

hrice

I would like to add that he very likely needs a booster now. Most children don't fit in a seatbelt properly until 4 foot 9 and some after that. My huge 10 year old still needs a booster seat. He is 4 foot 9 and 98 pounds.

Below is a link to the 5 step test to assess the seat belt fit on your child without a booster. You can also post a pic and we can judge for you.
http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

Kat_Momof3

how does he not fit the graco and cosco ones? I agree it is unlikely he fits without a booster now... as he's below the minimum height that passes the 5-step test in most cars (though he'd fit in some third rows and smaller vehicle back seats)

S

Stacy Murphy

Thanks for the great input. I'll have to look at those. It's been a while since we've been booster shopping. My 9 yr old actually fits great in our Honda Pilot. The seat belt fits nicely across his chest and hips. Surprisingly, he doesn't fit nearly as well in our Jetta, so we had purchased a Turbo booster for that car a couple years ago. Unfortunately, he could never get comfortable as his hips would rub against the arm rests and due to how short the base was, his legs would fall asleep (he has unusually long limbs and bad circulation).

I might just get the literider and use it temporarily until I can get my hands on a chicco quasar in Europe - the front slopes so it looks like it wont cut into his legs. Does anyone have any experience with that one or maybe even know of a similar seat available in the US?

mom2bnjl

The clek one in black is supposed to blend into the car's upholstery... And friends with them swear their kids love them. I've seen the on sale on albeebaby or rightstart for $75 lately.

HEVY

I might just get the literider and use it temporarily until I can get my hands on a chicco quasar in Europe - the front slopes so it looks like it wont cut into his legs. Does anyone have any experience with that one or maybe even know of a similar seat available in the US?

The Harmony looks like it has a nicer slope, as well as wider and longer and more comfy, softer all around. The quasar doesn't look very confortable, his legs wil most likely be lying over the sides.

Kat_Momof3

okay... with those reasons for not fitting, I would recommend the harmony olympian... it's super wide and super deep for wider hips and long legs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC