Need a Seat with No Head Slump!!

AllieK

DS is 3.5yrs, 42lbs, 44" with a size 5 shirt. I want a seat that he can comfortably sleep in for a long period of time. We've tried the Frontier, Nautilus, SureRide, Maestro & MySize 65 (the My Size is at a nice recline but is too narrow for him to sit without rounding his shoulders). The head slump is pretty bad in all of them. Is there another seat I can check out? I prefer something with a low profile like the Frontier.

ADS

lourdes

My DD had that issue and she only didn't have it in the Radian RXT or the Complete Air

jwilliams

I've read good things about the Recaro Performance Sport being good for not having head slump issues.

AllieK

I'm not really wanting a Diono, I feel like I wouldn't be able to install it correctly. :( I've been wondering about the Recaro and maybe the Graco Milestone...? I will also look into the Complete Air as I know nothing about it.

Keeyamah

Would he understand if you tried to teach him to look up an lean against a headwing/side of the car seat when he is feeling sleepy? My youngest would already, but my oldest at that age wouldn't have.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've never had a slumper in my ProSport (now Performance Sport,) though of course YMMV. It seems pretty wide internally, too.

First thought was actually MyRide, but it's not low profile and he'll likely grow out of it soon.

AllieK

Would he understand if you tried to teach him to look up an lean against a headwing/side of the car seat when he is feeling sleepy? My youngest would already, but my oldest at that age wouldn't have.

He's usually adamant that he's NOT going to fall asleep and any mention of it gets a resounding, "no!" Hahaha

If I'm in the back with him I try to lean his head against the side but he always slumps back down to chin on chest. :( Maybe he is just a slumper...? :shrug-shoulders:

lourdes

In my case I know is my child, the way her head is shape in the back it's what makes her a bad head slumper! But at least she was fine in those 2 seats,

thepote

I agree it depends a lot on the child. My 4yo is fine in the Frontier (installed in an Ody captains chair). My ds3 was a head slumper in everything except the Recaro Como (now ProRide) which we used as his primary seat until booster age because of that. At the time the Recaro convertibles and the MyRide were the recommended reclined FF seats.

Here is my DD in the Frontier:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC