Question Need a new seat

Vdavis

Well we took our daughter in this am for twelve month check up and she is at 36 pounds and 34 inches (daddy is almost 7 ft) and her current carseat only rear faces to 30 pounds so had to ff and it only ff to 40 ponds. Are there and carseats to rf higher weights and ff at higher weight limits. She is the smallest of 5. My 3 & 6 year old are in custom car seats due to special needs (insurance covered cost) . Cost is an issue however if the seat can last more than six months I would not worry about cost as much. I only recently found out about rf til at least 2. My 3 yr old was over 30 pounds at 9 months so he was an early ff. I would like to rf is it possible. The oldest 2 are 11 & 12 in seat belts. With tall children what are my options. Thanks

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
There are lots of seats with higher limits. It sounds like you have a Comfort Sport, which has the lowest limits out there.

The seats that RF to 40 lbs are the Scenera, Safety 1st Complete Air, Graco My Ride, Evenflo Momentum and Triumph, Britaxes, and the Radians.

There are some Radians that RF to 45 lbs. For a tall child they would be my first choice, followed by the Complete Air.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

sunnymw

The sunshine kids radian rear faces to 45lbs and forward faces to 80lbs. It is insanely tall. Runs $280-300. It can be a challenge to install so it would help to know your vehicle year, make, and model so we can check compatibility. There have been some issues with their super latch straps, but if you need the extra weight limits this seat offers you can install with seat belt.

Next would be the safety first complete air 65. It rear faces to 40, forward faces to 65, and is a hair taller in shell height than the radians. It has less install issues, but also slightly less leg room and lower weight limit. There is also a maximum overall height limit for rear facing, which many people and techs make a parental decision to disregard.$150-180 last time I checked.

Those are the tallest options. Coming close behind those are the evenflo triumph65 and momentum, the graco myride65, and the new britax convertibles.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

andre149

I agree, for a tall child I would look to the radian or the complete air. Also, I would try to avoid driving until you can get a new seat if possible and can turn your daughter rear facing again. I understand that may not be feasible, but if you can it would be much safer for your daughter to stay home until she could rear-face in a new seat :)

Vdavis

We have a 01 dodge caravan sport. As of right now her seat is in the 3 row and the special needs car seats are in captain chairs. They can be reconfigured if need be. I prefer to use latch if possible to ensure a good install and not worry that the belt will be released with our car full.

hrice

What is your budget for a new seat?

I agree with pp that you should avoid travel if possible until you can get your child a new seat.

sunnymw

Which SN seats are the other kids in? I am assuming the 3yo is forward facing?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You have 11 and 12yos in seatbelts, two children in special needs seats, and your daughter? What are the special needs seats?

Vdavis

They are mps seats. The 6 yr old has severe autism and fragil x. The 3 yr old is a self harmer and this was the only seat they could find that he couldnt get out of(he used to try to jump out of the car while we were driving). I am trying not to put a price on safety I am hoping to stay under 200 if possible. But if the seat can last more than six month i will spend more.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
MPS = Special Tomato for those who are wondering.

I really think a Radian is the way to go here. It will definitely last more that 6 months total and is really the only US seat that gives you a chance of rfing to age 2.

sunnymw

Will the radian work rear facing in the 2001 caravan sport, third row?

If you are concerned about super latch, install with a seat belt and get a piece of the stick-on velcro, and stick the rough side onto the release button in that position. That way your older kiddos will know which buckle is theirs and which one isn't. Or better yet, if you get a good install, put the radian on the side where there aren't two buckles coming out. If that makes sense :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
sunnymw said:
Will the radian work rear facing in the 2001 caravan sport, third row?

If you are concerned about super latch, install with a seat belt and get a piece of the stick-on velcro, and stick the rough side onto the release button in that position. That way your older kiddos will know which buckle is theirs and which one isn't. Or better yet, if you get a good install, put the radian on the side where there aren't two buckles coming out. If that makes sense :)

It will work.

There's no LATCH, so it'll be a seat belt install anyway. She can't put the 1yo on the side though because the center is a lap only belt and she has two preteens that need the outboard shoulder belts.

sunnymw

safeinthecar said:
It will work.

There's no LATCH, so it'll be a seat belt install anyway. She can't put the 1yo on the side though because the center is a lap only belt and she has two preteens that need the outboard shoulder belts.

Didn't even think about the lap belt. That means one of the older kids will have to climb under, right? Or both, seeing as it is two captains chairs. Unless it installs reeeeeally upright.

At least they will have tons of sitting room since the radian is so narrow :)

Vdavis

I acctually do have the latch in the van. I am able to borrow my neighbors myride for a few days and so we can go try some seats out with the baby. Her seat is outboard. I do have a question mu 12 yr old is in middle why is this a problem. He is young but much larger than me (6 ft 150). I thought that would be safe for him

lovemybabies924

it is very unsafe for a child or even adult to be in a lapbelt only, if it has a shoulder belt you can attach to make it a full seatbelt you are fine, but if its a lap belt only and you were in a crash basically your 12 year olds body is going to be bent in half like a pretzel and be seriously injured or worse :( if u can put the carseat there that would be great :)

lovemybabies924

according to my latch manual your latch only goes to 48lbs before u need to use the seatbelt. (some cars have a limit of how heavy baby can be using the LATCH) and my manual says she does have latch in all 3 3rd row positions

Vdavis

We are checking out all of tthe recomendation but what about this sweedish seat ive been reading alot about. is that a better option

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's not a legal option.

Based on your other kids' growth curves, do you think your child will hit 45# by age two?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC