Need a New Seat for my 3.5 year old

U

Unregistered

My Marathon expires so I'm in need of a new seat for my 3.5 year old (about 25-28lbs). I kept my eldest harnessed until 7.5 and I'll probably do close to the same for her and her brother. I really love the Marathon and I know they now go to 65lbs but I wonder if she'll grow out of it in height before then?

I thought of getting the Frontier but it just seems so uncomfortable looking and we do a lot of driving. I have my 6 year old son in a Nautilus and I'm not a huge fan of that one either, I've been really spoiled by the Marathons we've had for years but eventually they do expire and the kids grow out of them. Are the newer Marathons able to go to higher heights? I would like something that she will be comfortable in, she still sleeps a lot in the car and I know the Nautilus is awful for anyone that sleeps in it. :( I know there is the Advocate now as well from Britax?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Lee-Ann

ADS

Athena

What looks uncomfortable about the Frontier? I moved my 3.5 yo from her Britax convertible to that and she sleeps really well in it. It isn't quite as reclined or quite as cozy (especially because she had been rear racing in her convertible), but is quite nice and she is happy.

The Marathon, Boulevard, and Advocate all have the same shell and harness heights. The new generation are a little taller than the classic seats, but still not tall enough for my kids to get to boosters in them and if you're not going to use it rear facing anyway, the Frontier turns into a booster and has a longer life.

I hope this helps.

Keeanh

My kids sleep fine in the Frontier, but they've been older than 3.5 when they used it.

Your daughter sounds on the small side, at least for weight. If you really want a reclining seat for her, you could look at the True Fit or the Complete Air. They're convertibles, so a bit more reclined than combo seats like the Nautilus or Frontier, but still have tall-ish harnesses. And they're less expensive than a MA. If you want really reclined, there's the My Ride, but that one has a slightly shorter harness.

One of my kids is 95th percentile for height, and he fit in the True Fit at 6yo! Short torso I guess. My long-torsoed child outgrew the Complete Air by height at 5yo, 40+lbs & 42".

If it were me, and I lived in the US, I'd probably look for a convertible on sale. Grab a My Ride for $120 and if I have to sell it in 2 years, I'd still consider it worthwhile. I know how important it is to keep those picky car sleepers comfy. I've had a few kids that just wouldn't sleep if they were uncomfortable and they just end up whiny (and I don't blame them -- I hate trying to sleep in the car!).

OTOH, if you could borrow a Frontier and give it a try, you might find it's just what you want. I love our Frontier.

Kaitsmom

My 3 yr old loves her Frontier. She fell asleep in it, no head slump at all, the second time I used it. She even wants to sit in it and watch movies! I definatly think its worth the money. She has a Classic Marathon that shes almost grown out of as well and seems comfy in both.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! The true fit is now a contender! I'm okay with having to buy a seat that will harness her past 6 if need be and I think at that point because she won't be sleeping as much in the car then I'll look at the Frontier again.

My kids sleep fine in the Frontier, but they've been older than 3.5 when they used it.

Your daughter sounds on the small side, at least for weight. If you really want a reclining seat for her, you could look at the True Fit or the Complete Air. They're convertibles, so a bit more reclined than combo seats like the Nautilus or Frontier, but still have tall-ish harnesses. And they're less expensive than a MA. If you want really reclined, there's the My Ride, but that one has a slightly shorter harness.

One of my kids is 95th percentile for height, and he fit in the True Fit at 6yo! Short torso I guess. My long-torsoed child outgrew the Complete Air by height at 5yo, 40+lbs & 42".

If it were me, and I lived in the US, I'd probably look for a convertible on sale. Grab a My Ride for $120 and if I have to sell it in 2 years, I'd still consider it worthwhile. I know how important it is to keep those picky car sleepers comfy. I've had a few kids that just wouldn't sleep if they were uncomfortable and they just end up whiny (and I don't blame them -- I hate trying to sleep in the car!).

OTOH, if you could borrow a Frontier and give it a try, you might find it's just what you want. I love our Frontier.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I really love my Frontier - I have a 3.5 year old also, he's still RF but we snagged a great price on a Frontier a few months ago and I let him ride in it a couple times to make sure I wanted to keep it, and I really love it. We have a Nautilus too that he rides in occasionally in DH's vehicle and I definitely far prefer the Frontier. It's a lot easier for DS to climb in and out of on his own, and easier to get him into, I think. He did sleep in it one time and he was completely comfortable - no head slump. The seat belt install of the Nautilus is a little easier than the Frontier, but the LATCH install of the Frontier is easier than the Nautilus. I'm excited to use it again! I want him to stay RF for at least another 6 months or so in his Radian though, so it'll sit in the closet a little while longer. :)

You could also look at a Radian RXT - same tall top slots as the True Fit, Complete Air, and the Nautilus, and the headwings offer great sleeping support. A little trickier to install sometimes, but the low profile and narrowness of the seat make it really easy to climb in and out of. You could even RF her for a few months if you wanted. :D

cookie123

What don't you like about the Nautilus? It's popular here but it seems like people like their Frontiers a lot. People often say they don't get head slump like they do in the Nautilus. Other options would be:

Recaro Pro Sport
Evenflo Maestro, SecureKid 300 and SecureKid 400. The SecureKids are available online mostly since they just came out. It has been spotted at Baby Depot. They are similar to the Maestro in many ways, a improved in others.
The Baby Trend combination seat that just came out - Trendz Fastback!
Are you able to go to BabiesRUs and try some of these in your vehicle? You can get an idea what you might like. Also, if you try it and decide you don't like it, you could hold on to it for say a year, get another convertible, then switch to it later.

Last edited:

Athena

Your daughter sounds on the small side

I missed that and would change what I said somewhat. My 3.5 yo sleeps great in her Frontier, BUT the only reason we moved her up to the Frontier was because she had outgrown her convertible Rear Facing. In general, I would feel okay about not buying another convertible to RF a 3.5 yo, but if you want to buy a convertible anyway and considering she is a very small 3.5 yo, I'd rear face her and then she'd sleep better than any forward facing seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC