Question Need a 5pt combination seat that is very easy to install correctly

dani24

My daughter is newly 5, and just started Kindergarten in a mixed age K-5 program that does a ton of field trips. Unfortunately I won't be able to drive on all of them. Currently she's 43" and 39 lbs, and in a Britax Boulevard 70 G3. But it's too cumbersome to install (IMO) to feel comfortable that others will get it right (her grandparents certainly haven't been able to manage it).

I'd like her in a 5 pt harness, but want something that can transition to a booster down the road when the timing is right. I also want something that is REALLY easy for other people to install right in a variety of different cars. It looks like the Britax Frontier or Pinnacle with ClickTight might fit that bill. But I'm concerned that A) you can't have any seat overhang (I won't be able to control the cars used by other parents), B) that the seat will be annoyingly heavy/bulky, and C) I've read that the straps sometimes don't tighten well because they get trapped against the back of the seat in some cars (I've seen people mentioning using a small board to alleviate this, but I can't rely on that when the seat is being moved around a lot).

Are there any other options that would be really easy to install, and also have really good safety features? I'm willing to fork over good money for the right seat if necessary.

ADS

lgenne

Check out the Evenflo SecureKid DLX. She's light enough that you can continue to use lower anchors + tether for a long time, and that's a super easy install.

jjordan

Honestly, if you are relying on other parents to install the seat, then I wouldn't count on it being correct even if it is the easiest seat on the face of the earth. There are just some parents who don't care in the least whether or not a seat is properly installed. They figure that if they are using a seat then that's all that counts. And a 5 year old is a little young to install her own seat, even if it is very easy. So instead I would get a highback booster and teach your daughter how to use it properly. A Graco Turbobooster is an old favorite that is light for ease of moving between cars, and also fits a variety of cars well, and generally provides a very good fit for small children. There are other good options too, but I think that (except in the case of a child with special needs) you will have much better luck with proper use in a booster rather than a harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC