Need 1 new RF Convertible and 1 new 5pt Harness - overwhelmed

Mamacolleenct

Long story short - we were in a car accident last week and need to replace our car seats. Two kiddos, almost 3, 38" tall or so, 35lbs or so, and 6 month old 27" tall, 20lbs. My kids are not petite. Neither are my husband or I! Both kids are 90th percentile for height and weight and I expect this to continue.

We need to purchase 3 seats - two for my car (2009 Rav4 that may or may not be totalled) and one to replace the bucket seat we used to use in DH's car. We currently have one TF that was in DH's car and doesn't need replacing - that will go to DD2 in one vehicle. I agonized for weeks about the decision before I finally bought it almost 3 years ago and I don't know how much has changed since then.

We are likely (not 100% though) not having any more children so I am not totally concerned with 3 across although narrow is good (not possible in the Rav4 anyway). We DO need the RF seat to be on the smaller side front to back because my husband and I are both very tall and need at least a little leg room up front. Also I want the new convertible seat to last as long as possible for a very big kid so tall shell is a must as well as a higher weight limit. I am not interested in all-in-ones.

For our older child, I don't think it makes sense to get another convertible because she is so close to the RF limits on even the extended ones. Also, we turned her around about 2 months ago and I doubt that she would take RF very well again - she was MISERABLE until we turned her. I'm quite proud we made it as long as we did. I have no idea where to start with a seat for her. Obviously one that will last for a very tall heavy kiddo. I would like it to not be massive or insanely expensive. I defer to the experts. TIA!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome! I'm glad you and your family are all ok after your crash. Scary and annoying.

Your two year old would be much better served rear facing, if possible, and there are several seats that would give her 10-15 pounds more rear facing. She's not terribly close to the rear facing limit nowadays. What size shirt do both of your kids wear? Given the height of your family she may be more unlikely to fit some seats than her weight.

Narrow, fitting in the Rav4, giving leg room up front, and having the most potential for a third person in the back (I know that backseat, it *can* be done, but it takes super super super narrow seats. You kind of want to shake Toyota by the shoulders and say, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"), I'd look first for your six month old at the Diono Radian R120 or RXT with angle adjuster. It sounds like exactly what you're talking about. Make sure you buy an angle adjuster, though. Otherwise the install is possible, but only in the middle and it's a blood sweat and tears event.

The R120 and RXT are being recommended over the R100 to give you more rear facing time for your little one. They rear face to about a 4T shirt and 45 pounds.

If you wanted to rear face your two year old again another Radian would be recommended. Most kids go through a phase where they dislike being harnessed. If she'd never forward faced before a couple of months ago she couldn't have really wanted it, right? She never had a point of reference that it was better. You did rear face her longer than the minimum, so that is fantastic. Many people do still turn so prematurely. But re-rear facing her is definitely an option.

Other seats I'd look at for rear facing would be the Graco Size4Me/My Size 70/Headwise and the Clek Foonf. The Graco rear faces to only 40 pounds, but it's the tallest seat out there. It will get 100% of kids to 40 pounds. No matter their height. The Foonf is two inches taller than the Radian and rear faces to 50 pounds. It's also quite narrow. I haven't seen yet how it fits in a Rav4 behind tall parents. It's a relatively new seat.

Forward facing, if your two year old will stay that way, I'd look at the Harmony Defender, Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus and Argos, Recaro ProSport, and Britax Frontier. Those are in order from least to most expensive AND narrowest to widest. Those are all combination seats, harness to booster.

Just know that Toyota defers to the carseat about LATCH limits, so that would be 40 pounds for the child, sometimes 48 pounds. And since you have advanced airbags nothing can touch the front seats at all. Not a carseat, not a child kicking.

If the car is NOT totalled, make sure they replace any seatbelts that were in use, or the lower anchors and tethers if you had your kids' seats installed with them. If it IS totalled, the new seats should work in a new car as well.

Wendy

Mamacolleenct

Thanks! My older daughter is 1 month away from 3 and wears a 4t shirt. Her weight is an estimate and may be off by a pound or more. She was a car seat screamer for 2 years 9 months until we turned her. She is now a car seat sleeper, something she has never done RF. I would never decide to turn a child EARLY based on that but when I look at all of the circumstances, I don't know that I really want to RF again.

thank you for the advice about the seatbelts and anchors, does that go for my seatbelt also?

As far as the Radian, from what I've read, it is enormous front to back so the only possible location for it is the middle and I've never been able to safely install ANY seat in that position in my car. It would be a great solution for the tiny backseat if possible, I just want to make sure it is possible first. And the with the FF harness seats, would any of those last long enough to get us to the next stage? All of them? Also, we might also be open to just getting two wide seats again and forego any seating space in the back to get the most comfortable seats for the kiddos. I get the idea that the Frontier would be on that list, how about wide tall and long to RF convertible seats that are very cozy and comfortable. Too many choices!

MommyShannon

Diono released an angle adjuster for the Radian. As long as it puts the Radian at an acceptable angle for the baby to maintain good head control, it can help a lot! http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=209885
If its a bit too upright for your baby, you could use the TF until she's a little older.

The NextFit is coming out in April and looks comfy, almost as tall as the TF, and a 40lb rf limit. I would definitely check it out if you can wait that long. For FF only seats, the Frontier is the tallest available and very comfy. There is a new Frontier coming out later this year, but probably too far down the road if you don't have another seat to use for now.

Mamacolleenct

Wendy, do you have a source for the seatbelt/tether replacement? Insurance has of course never heard of this and if they are going to pay for it I need some solid data to show them.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Check your car's manual. I read a lot of manuals, so I'm sorry I can't remember which I saw today that said to replace all used seatbelts and lower anchors after a crash. I think either a Ford or a Chrysler/Dodge.

Wendy

Mamacolleenct

Wow! I just found that language in my owners manual it says that in the event of a serious accident to replace the seat assembly of all seats even if there's no obvious damage. thank you so much for that. I had no idea.

Mamacolleenct

So I think we are going to buy the 2 most comfortable seats as long as they are not a huge front to back. We will be foregoing the third seat in the back. *I think* But maybe not. This is so darn confusing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Rear facing? Fantastic. The Radian R120 and RXT have memory foam. They're pretty cushy for little tushies.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC