Nautilus not working, now what?

kbud

I posted a few days ago about my dd hating the Nautilus. She says it's very itchy and really throws a fit while in it about being itchy. I've tried everything suggested in my previous thread and she still hates it. So now I'm trying to come up w/plan 2.

DD#1 is 5 years old (just turned) 43 pounds and 42 inches, short torso.
DD#2 is 17 months, 25 pounds and about 31 inches.

DD#2 is currently in the hand me down Wizard, rf. I'm thinking put dd#1 back in the Wizard since I know she's comfy in it and when she outgrows it she'll be ready for a booster. Then I'd get something else for dd#2. We have a Scenera as a spare but I don't like it for an everyday seat. The Wizard will expire in 2 years so I'd like a higher weight seat. I'd like to stay under $150 if that's possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

kbud

How about getting a different cover? The Reese is plush.

It's the harness that's making her itchy. It's really odd because her shirt is between the harness and her skin but apparently it still rubs her wrong. It's not at the neck either. I've tried the shoulder pads on and off too.

scatterbunny

I tried to do a separate post there but I'm unable to post in that forum. So I just thought I'd mention it in this post. This post is not intended to be a swap post. I'm actually looking for suggestions for dd#2.

I see it was edited out. I wasn't trying to by-pass swap I was not permitted to post there.

Being unable to post in swap and trying to sell a seat elsewhere on the board is a swap bypass, intentional or not. ;) It's no biggie, unless it becomes a repetitive thing. :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

do you have a target near you?? I'd look at the first years/learning curve truefit... it has taller top slots than the wizard, almost as tall as those on the Nautilus, and she might find it more comfy.

if not, it would make a fabulous seat for the baby as it goes rearfacing to 35lbs and then ff to 65lbs.

kbud

do you have a target near you?? I'd look at the first years/learning curve truefit... it has taller top slots than the wizard, almost as tall as those on the Nautilus, and she might find it more comfy.

if not, it would make a fabulous seat for the baby as it goes rearfacing to 35lbs and then ff to 65lbs.

Thanks! I didn't realize it had higher slots than the Wizard. And you are right either kid could use either seat. Too bad I didn't think of it when I saw it for $99 at Baby Universe but I held myself back. I never really thought of another convertible until I decided to put her back in the Wizard since I know she likes it.

We'll go check it out at Target.

kbud

Could you be over tightening the harness?

I thought that at first because I do snug them up but I loosened it a bit and she still complains. I never made it any tighter than I did w/her Wizard. I realized the Wizard has hugs and the Nautilus doesn't so maybe she feels more of the harness.

I may try putting the pads back on (she's always hated them even in the Wizard) but put them lower so the harness isn't what she feels against her. I assume there would be no safety issue there. Hummm, maybe that would work.

Evolily

If it's the lack of HUGS, then I don't think the true fit will work either. And I do believe the true fit has a harness that's an inch and a half or so shorter. It probably feels different to her- kids can be finicky about anything different.

J-max

CPST Instructor
My #2 is very finicky about lots of things, and really does not like the nautilus either. She says the cover is not soft enough, the buckle sits weird and the straps are not comfy. She will ride in it if she has too, but much prefers her regent. Not that that helps you too much, it is over your 150, but you can get them for right around $200 right now.

Kat_Momof3

If it's the lack of HUGS, then I don't think the true fit will work either. And I do believe the true fit has a harness that's an inch and a half or so shorter. It probably feels different to her- kids can be finicky about anything different.

very true... but I suggested it because if her daughter doesn't like it would work for baby... who will need a new seat then.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The frontier is exacly like the nautilus, except it has hugs, because it is a britax. 18+ inch high top slots, harnesses to 80 lbs, converts to a booster, and has Hugs on the harness. yes, pricey, but can be had for just over $200 during the sale right now. it also has a 9 year expiration, so plenty of time for it to be used through both your kids....

kbud

Thanks for all the suggestions. We put the pads back on the Nautilus and adjusted them a bit lower for her, just above the chest clip. She only briefly complained for a minute and she was in the seat for about 2 hours today. I'm hopeful but not counting on it yet.

I'm going to check out the True Fit if we need to get something else. I'd try the Frontier but if she doesn't like it either then I'm stuck again (of course if I wasn't set on extended rf for dd #2 I could just switch them). I know she's comfortable in the Wizard so I can put dd#2 in the True Fit. I suspect the Regent would be fine too but that seat is such a beast!

Thanks again for helping me think through this. I'm really hoping just readjusting the shoulder pads will help!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
another thign i noticed while at BRu today...depending on which cover you have, the harness covers are made out of differnt fabric..for example, the ones my dd has (from a walmart nauti..matrix or bravo pattern?) are hard, scratchy fabris...the fabric on t he BRU ones today (mariposa and?) was a very soft veloury type fabric...

kbud

another thign i noticed while at BRu today...depending on which cover you have, the harness covers are made out of differnt fabric..for example, the ones my dd has (from a walmart nauti..matrix or bravo pattern?) are hard, scratchy fabris...the fabric on t he BRU ones today (mariposa and?) was a very soft veloury type fabric...

Ohh, that's interesting. It's a Matrix. I wonder if I can order one of the other types. I may look into that. Thanks so much for letting me know that.

Kat_Momof3

if you order all the cover pieces except the body insert (cause it's only for the bottom slots, anyway), it's 64.95 including shipping.

I got the mariposa and it is a lot softer, I agree.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC