Narrow base convertible?

mygr8kiddos

Which convertible has the most narrow base? I know the Classic Marathon has a pretty narrow base, are there any others you can think of? TIA

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
The Combi Coccoro and Diono Radians are generally narrow all over. The Graco My Ride has a very narrow base and then flares out above it, so it tends to be great for puzzling. I believe the Safety 1st Complete Air is pretty narrow as well.

If you wanted to share some more info about the situation (like the vehicle and the kiddo's age and weight and if you are dealing with other passengers or trying to puzzle seats), there might be some more specific recommendations available. The seats I mentioned all have their own pros and cons, so we'd be able to clarify if any of them would work well for you. :)

mygr8kiddos

Thanks for replying! I posted a thread on Thursday and one person responded, again suggesting the Radian. Here's the jist of it. I have 5 kids in an '03 Mountaineer. For several reasons, the seating arrangement has to be as follows. 6 yo 3rd row driver side, 16 yo 3rd row passenger side, 9 yo 2nd row driver side. 21 mo 2nd row middle and 12 2nd row passenger side. 6 yo is in a Nautilus, 9 yo in a Turbo booster, 21 mo has an Evenflo Tribute ( I think, very basic convertible) and a Sunshine Kids Radian 80. He currently rides in the Evenflo in the Mountaineer in the 2nd row driver side. There are a couple of issues I have with this though. 1) my DH cant drive because his seat cant go far enough back, 2) my 9 yo needs to be behind the drover to be dropped off at school conveniently. The biggest issue I have is securing either seat RF in the 2nd row middle. The seats are 40/20/40, each seat folds independently, but the middle seat has hard plastic hinges on the inside which hinders the base from securing against the seat bight. Does that help? If you have any further suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Thanks for posting back with all of the info! I'm hoping you'll be able to get some good suggestions. :)

Have you tried your Radian with the Angle Adjuster that Diono (Sunshine Kids' new name) sells? The Angle Adjuster can help make a much more upright install, which might allow you to fit your 21 month old behind your husband or allow it to fit better in the middle with the hinges. I think it sells for $10-12 on Amazon, so it might be worth the investment to see if it helps.

I'll take the Coccoro off the list of recommendations now that I see that your kiddo is 21 months. It's narrow, but it's short, and I don't think it would provide as much usefulness as if your kiddo was a new baby or otherwise young. How much does your 21 month old weigh?

I think the My Ride would still be a good suggestion. The base is narrow, and it tends to be fairly upright when RF. I don't know if the Complete Air is necessarily as good of a suggestion any more, because it has required recline level lines, and it may or may not work trying to fit behind your husband but maybe it will work in the middle; I think it would depend on the slope of your seats. If you have a Babies R Us near you, they typically let parents try out the floor model car seats in their cars, so that might be an idea to try.

The Classic Marathon is still at Target, although I don't think they usually let parents try out floor model seats; I think the My Ride base is still narrower, but the Marathon may be an option (the Classic Marathon still has a 35 pound RF weight limit compared with the new Britax models and the My Ride that have 40 pound RF limits).

I don't know how the hinges in your car will affect the install or how it might affect the seats I mentioned. If you wind up not getting a lot of responses to this thread and the hinges are still an issue, you might consider asking about the hinges affecting installs in a new thread about your Mountainer in the Installation subforum. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm sorry you haven't gotten many responses on your threads. That can be frustrating.

Bree's suggestions (above) are good ones. I would second the recommendation to try a Graco MyRide/MySize70/Headwise.

From what I understand, the foot of the Radian is hitting the hinges of the middle seat and thus won't install correctly? Is that correct? And, do I understand correctly that the 21-month old must be in the center due to carpool issues?

The Nautilus that your 6yo rides in is really wide. Is it possible to change out that seat, which would then (possibly) allow you to change locations of some of your seats? Is your 6yo ready for a booster seat?

nannykates

The chicco nextfit's base sits out from the bight when rf. But its expensive. I can't think of any other seats that sit out from the bight like that but I'm sure there are a few. That might help avoid all the hardware down there.

mygr8kiddos

My 21 mo is 24 lbs, 31". My 6 yo could be in a booster, but still fits in the GN so I'll keep him in it as long as he fits, and it's not a carpool issue, just a large family issue! I can't really change the seating arrangements, other than changing the 2nd row outboard locations which involves re-installing the convertible each time, which is a royal PITB! I've been doing that nights and or weekends when my DH drives. I hope I answered all your questions! Thanks so much for the replies. Will check on Amazon for the adjuster, and try to get to TRU tomorrow. Just to be sure, are there any differences between the Size4Me 70 and the Headwise 70, other than the cover and where it's sold? Thanks so much for your responses!!!

mygr8kiddos

Oh, and yes the base of the Radian is hitting the hinges and won't install securely. I did take it to 2 CPSTs. One said that location wouldn't work and the other needs to retake the whole course again! Her install used 5 noodles, a locking clip on locking seat belts, and moved several inches when I moved the driver's seat forward!!! Needless to say, DS didn't ride home in that!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
What year is your radian? Could you take a picture of your boot?

I ask this because I drive a 2004 Explorer. The radian with the old boot is 100% incompatible in the middle seat of the second row because of the plastic hinges. The newest boot works beautifully. My old boot expired and I threw it away last month, or I'd take pictures.

Eta: the old boot is the original boot that the seat was released with when they first came out. Somewhere along the way it changed, they updated the design. I'm not certain of when.

Off to search for pictures.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Yes it will, to the best of my knowledge.

The old ones fit the new seats. You can call Diono and ask or you may be able to acquire one on swap since you don't need one for the entire life of the seat.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I also wanted to add a couple of things since I'm going to be out of pocket later.

The angle adjust is an nice addition in that seat. Otherwise it likes to make a pretty much full recline. Also, don't over tighten, the retractor can make it tip. Not a safety issue at all, it just looks crooked. If it bothers you, you can use a locking clip.

You will love having the radian in that spot, though. You'll be able to tumble the outboard seats completely. It fits so beautifully! I normally have one rf behind the passenger, one rf center second row, and a backless booster or seat belt kid behind the driver. Third row is a frontier85 and a highback booster. The low back can be held while the seats tumble to load. When I did carpool, I kept the two booster kids on the outboard second row and used a Coccoro rf in the third row with the frontier.

mygr8kiddos

OMG YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH! After some clarification, I ordered the angle adjuster and the new style base. I got free shipping and had a left over gift card from "said website" and Diono sent a new style base free of charge! So all in all it cost me nothing, took me all of five minutes to install and fits perfectly! I can even see out the rearview mirror!!! I would have bought a different seat if I had to, but now I can keep that money in a much needed vacation fund! Thanks again!!!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
OMG YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! THANK YOU SO MUCH! After some clarification, I ordered the angle adjuster and the new style base. I got free shipping and had a left over gift card from "said website" and Diono sent a new style base free of charge! So all in all it cost me nothing, took me all of five minutes to install and fits perfectly! I can even see out the rearview mirror!!! I would have bought a different seat if I had to, but now I can keep that money in a much needed vacation fund! Thanks again!!!

You are so very welcome!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC