My Ride buckles cracking?

Jessica61624

tnt1014 said:
I'm coming into this a little late also but I read from some of the moms on another forum that it really depends on who you speak to at Graco. Some of them are being sent shipping labels to send the seats back at Graco's expense others are being told to ship at their own expense.
Also one of the women was told that the plastic covering is just cosmetic because it has metal under it.

I think it's great that they are acknowledging the problem and issuing refunds and replacements but I think they need to be more consitent about it.

It really depends on how old the seat is. The ones getting paid shipping are likely under warranty.

ADS

charwagner

I have a MyRide manufactured in 04/09, purchased in 09/09.

I called Graco and Lois had not heard anything about cracked buckles. She said the harness is non-replaceable so she's sending a prepaid label to send the old seat in. They will replace the seat or issue a refund check for $149.99 if I choose to purchase a new seat instead of waiting for a new seat.

I opted to purchase the new seat (I have not done so yet) and they are sending the label. However, I didn't think about the possibility that they might not send the refund check upon getting the old seat.

Here are pictures of the cracks in both of the buckles. Is there cause for concern?

Buckle One (there is actually a second spot closer to the strap that is cracked and the buckling to the left of the crack is also cracked)
125.jpg

Buckle Two
120.jpg

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I called Graco and Lois had not heard anything about cracked buckles. She said the harness is non-replaceable so she's sending a prepaid label to send the old seat in. They will replace the seat or issue a refund check for $149.99 if I choose to purchase a new seat instead of waiting for a new seat.

I opted to purchase the new seat (I have not done so yet) and they are sending the label. However, I didn't think about the possibility that they might not send the refund check upon getting the old seat.

Here are pictures of the cracks in both of the buckles. Is there cause for concern?

Buckle One (there is actually a second spot closer to the strap that is cracked and the buckling to the left of the crack is also cracked)
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/dandasmommy/125.jpg

Buckle Two
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/dandasmommy/120.jpg

Those are very very minor compared to the ones I've seen so far.

There is definitely metal under there. My concern would be more that a kid might get scratched or pinched in the serious cases.

Manufacturers are responsible for taking care of safety related concerns during the entire lifespan of their seat - or in the case of vehicles, their vehicle. If there is a recall issued due to a safety defect, owners aren't expected to pay to get the recall fix. My truck has a recall on it right now and it's out of warranty, but I still have a year to get the recall repaired free of charge.

Some things you can expect to pay for, others you shouldn't have to.

I got my replacement harness for my Nautilus for free and it should be coming tomorrow based on tracking. My Nautilus is a November 2008 DOM and I bought it in March of 2009 if I remember right. I'm going to be sad to lose the push-down buckle harness. I just love that style so much.

Last edited:

ameliasmomma

I had it happen 2times, and then they sent me a whole new seat. (their cost, each replacement was less than a year apart) The new seat has a new buckle setup. I did contact the CPSC and filed a report with pictures.

turtlemama

I don't understand them telling people to pay. My MR had a problem with the straps being different lengths (one was a tad shorter than the other and did not pass the pinch test while the other was tight) and they sent me a whole new seat, free of charge.

blessedmom0710

I was checking out this thread b/c I am looking for a seat for my ds. My Ride is on the short list.

So is this just an old style (2009 model)? Has there been a change in design since this type of buckle? I was thinking of buying something in the next couple of days. I was thinking if this is the same design on the 2012 model, maybe I should look at something else.

BlessedMom 07 10
ds 21pounds 31inches Graco snugride(22)

dd 35 pounds 41 inches FF Marathon (often complains of her back hurting while in the car seat-better after reclining the vans bucket seat some) just on third harness slot so lots of ht and wt room to go in her MA

Jessica61624

charwagner said:

Buckle Two

I wouldn't be worried. Graco is great and they sent me a refund for mine a few months back.

Pixels

I was checking out this thread b/c I am looking for a seat for my ds. My Ride is on the short list.

So is this just an old style (2009 model)? Has there been a change in design since this type of buckle? I was thinking of buying something in the next couple of days. I was thinking if this is the same design on the 2012 model, maybe I should look at something else.

BlessedMom 07 10
ds 21pounds 31inches Graco snugride(22)

dd 35 pounds 41 inches FF Marathon (often complains of her back hurting while in the car seat-better after reclining the vans bucket seat some) just on third harness slot so lots of ht and wt room to go in her MA

They have changed the buckle design completely. The change was over a year ago. The old style buckles (the ones that are cracking) have a release button that you push down. The new buckle has a release button that you push in like most other buckles.

rach81381

I sent two my rides back to graco for fraying harness tightners. I was past the 1 year warranty by 6 months and they gave me a refund

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC