My friend needs car seat advice

galesville

the info on her son 20 months now..

on feb 7th he was 23 bls 11 oz and 32 inches long

she has him FF

what car seat should she get (this is for her MIL as she watches him during the day). They have a TF and MR for their cars.

Thanks!

ADS

hrice

Have you spoken to her about rear facing him?

What is her budget for the new seat? (And can you send her here?)

hrice

Is she willing to RF?

If not any Dorel seat is out because they have a 34" height requirement for FF.

I can't even bring myself to recommend FF seats for such a young baby. :(

And in the TF they will need to watch his weight closely. It has a 23# minimum for FF so if he loses weight he can no longer ride in that seat unless they turn it RF.

Baylor

Yeah, He needs to be rear faced. He's too little. He needs to be rear facing.

I agree with hrice. Send her here and we can help her see how much safer it is .

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes I did talk to her abour RF till 2

around $100 is what she would like

Yeah, He needs to be rear faced. He's too little. He needs to be rear facing.

I agree with hrice. Send her here and we can help her see how much safer it is .

This is all very well and good, but unless they change their minds, or unless MIL is willing to rf in her car, it doesn't address the question.

What kind of car does MIL have, and is there anything we need to know about MIL's ability to install/use a seat (IE poor hand strength)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would recommend a convertible anyway, just in case they change their mind. They might choose to use it FF, but at least they won't be stuck with that choice if they ever see the light.

Babies R Us has an Evenflo convertible on sale for $109 this week... forget which one it is, but it wouldn't have the FF height limit and it would be in their general price range.

mominabigtruck

I'd get an evenflo maestro. If they've already decided they're not going to rf him then a convertible would be a waste of money.

You know what they say about horses and water....
Posted via Mobile Device

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I disagree with a convertible being a "waste of money."

The Evenflo seat that comes on sale this weekend for $109.99 is the Triumph 65. It has all sorts of features that might make it worth a little extra $$ especially as a Grandma seat. The no-rethread harness, for one. The harness height isn't quite as high as a Maestro, but it's high enough it will probably get him to booster age. It has a higher weight limit than a Maestro, so depending on his build it may even last him longer.

I always hear that it's a "waste" to buy a convertible for a FF kiddo, but is it a "waste" to buy a combo seat if you prefer a dedicated booster and won't use that function? What if there's another kid in the next couple of years? What if they have some kind of "wake up call" that convinces them to re-RF the kid, but then they're stuck because they can't use their seat that way?

I won't in good conscience recommend a FF-only seat for a child under the age of two even if I know the seat will only be used FF, unless there are no other good options available.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC