My first car seat

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My mom... called it a cuddle seat.

Yup, that's what my mom called it too. We have lots of pictures of us kids strapped into those things sitting on top of tables, counters, etc! :eek: One of those picutures is actually one of my favourites. My dad hated the crowds at Sunday dinner at my Grandma's house, so he'd use me as an excuse to sit in the kitchen, away from the commotion. He'd put me on the kitchen table in that thing and feed me dinner (probably the only time he gave Mom a break from feeding me ;))

I don't think my parents ever used it in the car... they had the GM Toddler Seat, but it did get a lot of use around the house. My mom said how flimsy they were, but because they were so cheap, you could just go out and buy another one when the one you had broke. (Apparently she was replacing them every couple of months or so :rolleyes:)

That's really cool you found one of those!

ADS

NOAHSMOM

so did I! Only my mom didnt use it in the car lol. Only to sit me in at 2 months old and feed me solids :rolleyes:

My family also had the same one in yellow and we were fed our solids in it. When I was older I used it as a carseat for my dolls

Michi

You are not going to believe this...I had the EXACT same one! It was even orange!
I remember it so well because my mom gave it to me to use for my dolls after I was done with it!

The 'good' thing was.... we didn't have a car.
(My mom didn't get her driver's license until I was 7 years old. So she only used it occasionally when we rode with friends.)
I remember her saying that she used to set me on the floor in the back , because she thought it was safer than seting me on the seat! :rolleyes:

nisi

Senior Community Member
Did somebody cross out baby and write DOLL on there? Or is it really a doll version of the seat?

Someone, I assume from the thrift shop, took a Sharpie and crossed out "baby" and wrote "doll" on the package. I found it with the toys. However, this was not originally designed and marketed as a toy. As hard as it is for some of us to believe, this was designed to be used by real live babies in moving vehicles. I didn't believe it either until I saw the packaging. I always thought my mom jury-rigged a feeding chair for use in the car but she swore it was actually a car seat (though not in the way we know them today). Turns out she was right.

I remember her saying that she used to set me on the floor in the back , because she thought it was safer than seting me on the seat!

Actually, I think your mom did pretty good under the circumstances. Not that I'm advocating it, but if a child HAS to ride unrestrained, I pesonally would choose to have them sit or lay in the footwell. Far from ideal, but they'd at least be pretty well compartmentalized there. So :thumbsup: to your mom! :twocents:

tjham

I remember these in stores from when my kids were little in the late 70's but I never had one. I can't believe they actually show it being used as a CAR SEAT! :eek:
Somehow I got the next generation seat, much better made, but dang, I don't remember what it was called. it was hard plastic and had a carrying handle. ,

I also had a Kanga-rocka-roo, which almost looked like today's infant seat but regular plastic. It had a picture of a child in it in a car with a red slash across it! Good for them!

Last edited:

JessicaS

I have a picture of me sitting in this seat. I don't have a scanner though. Maybe I'll scan it at my friend's house and post it later. :)

Paperdragon

Wow! It looks like you don't even have to use the car's seat belt (or LATCH) to secure the car seat! Imagine it! No more locking clips or struggling to make sure you have no more than 1" of wiggle along the belt path. There's no belt path!!! Just toss that bar over the back of the seat and we're good to go. If everyone used these seats I bet there would be a 99% decrease in misuse. :p

Mommy090804

Well, I have definitely seen one of those before. I know that there are two at my parents' place right now. One is an actual baby seat and my brother (born 1977) sat in it. I also had a smaller pink one for my dolls.

Here's the scary part. My mother said that when I was a baby she was driving in a truck and had to slam on the brakes. She had me in one of those carriers, but had slipped the seatbelt through the wire part in the back. She credits the carrier for saving me from going through the windshield. I know the story is a little melodramatic....and ridiculous. Yikes! Obviously, all of us normally rode in the car/truck unrestrained. I do recall my younger brother having a carseat, but not the rest of us. Thank goodness we were never in a serious accident, or I likely wouldn't be here researching carseat safety for my children.

jdubsm

We had that same seat(except his was yellow) for my nephew who was born in 1980. I remember putting him in it on the floor in the front of my '74 Ford Pinto. It scares me to think about it now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC