My 04 Chevy Venture is making me mad...advice please!

Raegansmom4

My Venture is the 8 passenger with 3 captains seats in the 2nd and bench in the 3rd. Seats install beautifully passenger side 2nd row b/c the lever for flipping the back of the vehicle seat does not interfer with the buckle at all b/c it's on the opposite side. The middle and driver's side captain seats are another story :mad:. The stupid lever for flipping those seat backs are on the same side as the buckle :confused:. So...the buckle is at a weird angle foward of the seat crease and is impossible for installing a forward-facing seat. I was able to install my rfing MyRide on the drivers side with no problems. A foward-facing seat is nearly impossible - both the Regent and the Nautilus absolutely will not be able to be installed there as the angle of the buckle and the foward-of-the-bight position of the buckle will not work AT ALL. It almost creates a 45 degree angle between the female end and the male end, if that makes sense - you cannot tighten it at all - the belt just scrunches up really, really badly. I was starting to look ahead at how I could arrange when dd2 hits 40 lbs (she's 38.6 now). I would like to keep both kids in the 2nd row for convenience, if possible. I was able to get a somewhat passable forward-facing install with the MR on the driver's side, but the seat belt still scrunches up a tiny bit, but I still can get it tight enough with less than 1 inch of movement. But, when I looked at the MR manual, it recommended not installing it there with a forward-of-the-bight buckle unless then vehicle manual indicates it can be installed there (the manual shows it as a location to install). What to do, what to do??? Advice? Thanks!!

Last edited:
ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Have you tried getting the seat belt tightened with the buckle undone, and then pinching the belt and buckling? I've used that technique with buckles like this - it's kind of like when you install with a locking clip, yk?

Also, sometimes you can prevent the bunching by NOT locking the seat belt first, using a clip or having a partner hold out all the slack for you, so you can tighten the belt while keeping it at an angle that doesn't bunch.

Defrost

Thanks - good idea! Just so I'm sure I got this right, I could use a locking clip instead of the ALR to prevent the bunching?

No, no - sorry. I just mean you should do it like this:
buckle
tighten a little bit
stop pulling just before it starts bunching
unbuckle
shorten the lap-portion of the belt a bit more
pinch the belt to prevent it from slipping
re-buckle.

(Same way you adjust a seat belt and put on a locking clip, only without the locking clip, see?) (Re-buckling might take two people, btw. One to climb completely into the seat, while the other gets the latchplate & buckle lined up.)

amyd

I had a belt like at a check this morning, different vehicle and seat, though, same thing was happening. We got a passable installation and advised mom to install with the LATCH instead when she got home (LATCH strap had been removed from the seat & mom had it at home so we couldn't do it right there).

Defrost

I had a belt like at a check this morning, different vehicle and seat, though, same thing was happening. We got a passable installation and advised mom to install with the LATCH instead when she got home (LATCH strap had been removed from the seat & mom had it at home so we couldn't do it right there).

They're possible, usually, but tend to be very difficult installs. I prefer to have an extra set of hands.

Oh, and I just remembered - if you can recline the vehicle seat, that really helps with fixed-buckle-stalks like this. Just remember you can easily over-tighten if you've got the vehicle seat really reclined so don't go for a tight install - just recline the seat, use the extra wiggle-room to tighten the belt without bunching, then *carefully* push the vehicle seat back upright.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Dumb question... Don't you have LATCH on the outboard middle row? I had an '03 and used LATCH in those 2 positions and the ALR seat belt in the center. Was WAY easier :twocents:

TerisBoys

Oh, and I just remembered - if you can recline the vehicle seat, that really helps with fixed-buckle-stalks like this. Just remember you can easily over-tighten if you've got the vehicle seat really reclined so don't go for a tight install - just recline the seat, use the extra wiggle-room to tighten the belt without bunching, then *carefully* push the vehicle seat back upright.

This.

Also, if you're trying the Nauti - using it in full recline helps match the angle of the beltpath a little better.

I thought a bit of bunching was ok?

Raegansmom4

Dumb question... Don't you have LATCH on the outboard middle row? I had an '03 and used LATCH in those 2 positions and the ALR seat belt in the center. Was WAY easier :twocents:

No, I don't have the lower anchors anywhere, and I have no idea why not unless my van was some sort of special order as an 8-pass? From what we could tell from the title, we think it was first owned by a hotel (probably for airport pickups) before it was sold to the guy who had it right before us. We just bought it in April, and up to this point, I hadn't had to mess with a forward-facing install in that position. I am able to get my dd1's Regent installed rock solid in 3rd row pass side where the top tether is located, but she doesn't like it back there too well - too hard to hear to carry on conversation.

Raegansmom4

No, no - sorry. I just mean you should do it like this:
buckle
tighten a little bit
stop pulling just before it starts bunching
unbuckle
shorten the lap-portion of the belt a bit more
pinch the belt to prevent it from slipping
re-buckle.

(Same way you adjust a seat belt and put on a locking clip, only without the locking clip, see?) (Re-buckling might take two people, btw. One to climb completely into the seat, while the other gets the latchplate & buckle lined up.)

Got it! Thanks!!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
No, I don't have the lower anchors anywhere, and I have no idea why not unless my van was some sort of special order as an 8-pass? From what we could tell from the title, we think it was first owned by a hotel (probably for airport pickups) before it was sold to the guy who had it right before us. We just bought it in April, and up to this point, I hadn't had to mess with a forward-facing install in that position. I am able to get my dd1's Regent installed rock solid in 3rd row pass side where the top tether is located, but she doesn't like it back there too well - too hard to hear to carry on conversation.

Weird! Mine had them in the center row, but not the back row if I remember right, but had top tethers in all 6 locations! They were deep in the seat bight, and had just a circle not the universal symbol to indicate their locations.

I agree that I had to recline the seats, the pull them back up for good installs...

Raegansmom4

Weird! Mine had them in the center row, but not the back row if I remember right, but had top tethers in all 6 locations! They were deep in the seat bight, and had just a circle not the universal symbol to indicate their locations.

I agree that I had to recline the seats, the pull them back up for good installs...

Yeah, I was pretty shocked there were no lower anchors anywhere - I dug and dug for them, used a flashlight, etc and nothing. :confused: The manual indicated that I should have them outboard 2nd row. The outboard pass and middle w/ lap only ALR seat have a standard top tether and the outboard driver's side has a different-looking top tether than the other 2 seats. I'm taking it in to the Chevy dealer to make sure that is also a tether anchor. There is only 1 spot in the rear that has top tether.

TerisBoys

They sound/look like factory seats though.

I wonder if they're out of an older vehicle that didn't have LATCH.

If that's the case, might be worth checking into replacing at least that seat.

melniemi

I have the same van as you. I haven't had problems installing seats, but it does take a little more work. The regent should install beautifully long belt path. The Frontier does too. I would use Judi's trick as I stand in the seat, pushing down with my feet, back braced on the ceiling.:p Probably looks crazy, but it has worked for me :)

northernmommy

I have the same van as you, and (at least here in Canada) Chevy will replace the ridgid stalk on the seat with a flexible one :thumbsup: Made all the difference in the world!

I agree with others, it sounds like you've got seats from an older model in yours though :(

northernmommy

That looks like the seat out of my friend's '02.

My '04 has the exact same seats (same fabric and everything) but it has UAS/LATCH. I've got one integrated seat (which also has UAS...weird, as it shouldn't) and one lap only, then a normal seat. TAs on the back of all three, and one TA in the back row.

OP, if you want, I can go out in a bit and find my manual for the page etc wit the info about getting the buckles switched out (might be different for you down there, but it's probably worth a try)

Michi

We got our buckles switched out recently - BEST DECISION EVER!!!

I cannot say how much I loathed those fixed buckle stalks.
Our new GN would not install in the center, so we had the stalk switched out

here are before and after photos.

Before - rigid stalk in fixed position - always pointed too far forward :thumbsdown:
IMG_1183a.jpg

It would cause the belt to bunch up and I couldn't use the lockoffs
IMG_2125a.jpg

After :thumbsup: ( it can rotate further back, plus it sits higher and has a flexible stalk. Our GN installs like a dream now!)
IMG_0165.jpg

If you look in the manual it says that they will do it free of charge.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC