Question MT and Hi-way Installation Different?

Kanuni

Hi,

I have both of these seats and it hadn't occured to me until today that there seems to be a difference between them regarding the way they are installed related to seat belt lock offs.

In the MT manual, it clearly states that at the buckle side, both the lap and diagonal sections of the seatbelt must be secured by the lock-off, however on the other side, only the lap section must be secured:

Pull all the seat belt slack through the child seat ensuring the seat belt is not
twisted. When the belt is as tight as possible, close the lock-off on the seat belt
buckle side, ensuring that both the lap and diagonal sections of the belt are
secured by it
(dia 2d inset).
Close the lock-off on the opposite side, ensuring that only the lap section of the
belt is secured by it
(dia 2d).
Ensure that both lock-offs have been clicked into place.

In the Hi-way manual though, there is no such mention and it seems to me that both the lap and diagonal sections must be secured by the lock-offs on both sides:

Pull all of the seat belt slack through the child seat ensuring the seat belt is not twisted (dia 2i). When the belt is as tight as possible, close the lock-off arms on BOTH sides of the seat ensuring that they click into place.

The pictures in the manual and on the carseat itself support this and they look as if the diagonal section of the seatbelt is secured on both lock-offs. However in the installation video of Adventuredad's website, they do not secure the diagonal section of the seatbelt on one side just like the installation of MT. http://www.carseat.se/swedish-car-seats/installation-videos/britax-hi-way/

What do you guys think? Am I misinterpreting this? Does this seem like an important issue? (To me it seems like an important issue as I prefer to follow the manual word by word. :) )

ADS

Kanuni

OK, diag 4k is in the front seat installation section though, but still there is no mention even in this section in writing, to not lock the diagonal section of the seat belt. In the diagram it looks like it is left out though, yes.

But still, for the rear seat installation sections such a diagram doesn't exist. http://www.carseat.se/images/Britax-Hi-Way-Manual-CarSeat.se.pdf

If I didn't have an MT, I would secure the diagonal section on both sides because that is what I would understand from the manual. If diagonal section should be left out, how can first time users who are installing the carseat to the rear seat know about this? Because there is a diagram in front seat installation section?

Also, does your hi-way have pictures on both sides of the actual carseat like mine? If not, I can take a picture and post it here. In that picture the diagonal section is definitely secured with both lock offs. Could you please check yours?

Adventuredad

Safety is the same if one or both parts go through the lockoffs. We prefer to route the diagonal part outside of the lock off on the side closest to the door. If both parts are routed through the lock off it might open due to the higher pressure.

lenats31

OK, diag 4k is in the front seat installation section though, but still there is no mention even in this section in writing, to not lock the diagonal section of the seat belt. In the diagram it looks like it is left out though, yes.

But still, for the rear seat installation sections such a diagram doesn't exist. http://www.carseat.se/images/Britax-Hi-Way-Manual-CarSeat.se.pdf

If I didn't have an MT, I would secure the diagonal section on both sides because that is what I would understand from the manual. If diagonal section should be left out, how can first time users who are installing the carseat to the rear seat know about this? Because there is a diagram in front seat installation section?

Also, does your hi-way have pictures on both sides of the actual carseat like mine? If not, I can take a picture and post it here. In that picture the diagonal section is definitely secured with both lock offs. Could you please check yours?

I have HiWay ll and the rearseat installation is the same as the front seat installation. The Dias (2i)that you mention merely instructs you to remove the slack and pull the seatbelt tight.

This seat can be installed with just a lapbelt. So it is the lapbelt and not the shoulder belt that holds the seat in place.

Lena

Kanuni

Sorry I was out of the country for a while, so I couldn't respond earlier.

First of all, thanks to AD and lenats31 for the explanations, but here is my problem:

I have installed Hi-way to 3 different cars until now: Opel Astra, VW Passat and Chevrolet Captiva (an SUV that is on sale in European market). For all these cars the installation never seemed firm due to the fact that the lock offs do not really hold the belt well and in time they go more loose. Although I install the Hiway really tight, I could move the carseat sideways on the belt path and could easily see that the belt was "moving" although the lock offs were closed.

I had finally installed the Hi-way to the VW Passat and noticed that the belt of the car locks once you pull them all the way out, so the problem was solved. (Once the belt is pulled all the way out, even if you let go the belt, you cannot pull it anymore and have to let it go all the way back in order to unlock it) It was a firm installation that way, because even if I opened the lockoffs, it was impossible for the seat belt to go more loose.

But now I have sold the Passat and bought a Captiva and unfortunately, the seat belts do not have that auto lock feature, so this issue became a problem again. Then I decided to try to lock off the shoulder section of the belt in both lock offs, and now the carseat installation seems a lot firmer. Although, while putting our kid in the carseat we often hit the seat belt with his feet, the lock off doesn't seem like it will open. It is a much more solid installation this way the carseat doesn't move more than 1-2 cm if we try to move it with moderate force.

I hope that installing it this way doesn't have any other security issue. I'm counting on AD stating above that it is fine to install it this way, also the manual for not making a definite statement about this issue (unlike the manual of the MT), and this picture that I mentioned earlier that is present on both sides of the carseat:

37257612.jpg

To me, it is clear on the right side picture that the diagonal section of the seat belt is locked off. Also, I have checked the pictures on AD's website and it seems that some people install Hi-way like this. I hope that there isn't another issue for installing the carseat like this. I will be checking the lock offs regularly to see if they have opened of course. Here is the pictures of my installation:

34482651.jpg

55884660.jpg

19906983.jpg

27390295.jpg

lenats31

It is not a huge thing. Just think that both seats have the same weight limit, the same lock-offs, the same tethers, same supportleg etc. I have installed seats in cars with ALR belts. I must say that I am NOT dripping with envy. It can be a right pain unless you put a clip of some sort on the seatbelt, so it stays out.

It is the lap portion of the seatbelt that is holding the seat.

Lena

Kanuni

I don't know why, maybe it is the relative position of the buckle of the car to belt path of both seats, but with the Hiway, I could never get the firmness I wanted, especially side to side at the belt path unless I also lock the diagonal part. And I tried this with 3 cars now: vw passat, opel astra, and chevrolet captiva. OK, I know that it is the lap portion of the belt that is supposed to hold the seat, but I felt that if it isn't really firm, it may not be safe enough. Maybe I am too paranoid, over-concerned or using more than necessary force to make the carseat/seatbelt out of position. :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC