Moving Up After the Chaperone - Bought an RXT but don't think it will be comfy

havasushannon

My son is almost 14 months about 24 lbs and very broad (not fat, but built like his daddy-wide). He's on the last heighth setting on the chaperone and getting snug width wise. On another forum I was recommended the Diono Radian RXt, and while it's currently on it's way to me, I went yesterday to buybuybaby and looked over the seats and worry that it won't be comfy enough for my little guy.
My question is, is a radian rxt comfy enough for a 14 month old? Does it recline enough for him to sleep comfy or should I go for an inbetween such as a britax boulevard, advocate, or marathon? My daughter is in a britax frontier 85 and is 7 years old. I'm thinking that if I go with a marathon/advocate/boulevard that by the time my son is out of that one he can use his sisters frontier85.
What do you think? His safety and comfort are the most important to me. I should mention I drive a 2008 chevy tahoe.
THANKS!! :)

ADS

havasushannon

Well I just measured him at 11.5 seated to top of shoulders, 18.5 seated to top of head, and about 29.5 total heighth (kept moving). So it means we need to be out of the chaperone asap as it has an 11 inch max seated shoulder height.

jacqui276

My 14 month old (who is 29lbs) has been riding in an RXT since he was 6 months old. He doesn't have any qualms about getting in the car and doesn't whine when he is in his seat, so I assume that he is comfortable. He preferred it to his infant seat when we made the switch. It can be installed fairly reclined to fairly upright (with the use of an angle adjuster to get a more upright install). I have an angle adjuster with mine as DS prefers to be sitting more upright and he falls asleep in it frequently. It has memory foam in the seat and even my 8 year old tried sitting in it (she is way to big to use it) and said that it was really comfortable. My 5 year old niece and 4 year old nephew have also ridden in it multiple times in the past year and were comfortable.

The downfall to the Britax seats rear facing is depending upon your rear facing goals, they are often outgrown by height much sooner than other seats (like the RXT). They can also be a lot more cramped for leg room, which bigger kids often find more uncomfortable. For smaller kids they work well though.

jacqui276

Depending upon the angle of your seats it usually installs fairly reclined. You can't use pool noodles or a rolled towel with a Radian like you can with the majority of other seats rear facing. It comes with a rear facing boot that you will attach. The issue generally is if you have enough space in your car to achieve that amount of recline with such a tall seat. One tip to get it more reclined is when installing it to get it tight, push your hips into the back of the seat rather than pushing down on the bottom of the seat when tightening the seatbelt/LATCH strap.

You can have it reclined up to 45 degrees. Most babies, as long as they have good head control (which a 14 month old should) are happy with it more upright than that though.

You also have the option of tethering a RXT when it is rear facing (assuming that you have a point in your car that you can attach the D-ring to that won't interfere with your air bags). I just wanted to note that you can not use the tether to force the seat to be reclined more.

msg221

I had an RXT and none of the six kids that have ridden in it have ever complained and they were all ages, from about six months to 4 years when riding in it. I don't think getting it reclined enough will be an issue; most people complain that it reclined TOO much (as in not leaving room for the driver or passenger seat to move back), which is why the angle adjuster was a godsend for many of us!

featherhead

My children have all ridden in a Radian before a year old. I have never had a problem with them being comfortable in it. They were just fine sitting up more than the infant seat, though depending on your vehicle, the seat will likely be nicely reclined. My 17 month old has the seat quite upright now, and it has been that way since she was 10 months or so. So far she seems to sleep just fine in it too, though she doesn't sleep in the car often.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC