Moving to a High Back Booster Question

W

whistle

So, I did a lot of research a few years ago when my daughter outgrew her Britax Roundabout and we decided to go with the Graco Natulius in a 5-point harness until she grows too tall to use the harness. She is 42 inches tall and about 42 pounds now. Her shoulders are still underneath the second slot from the top for the shoulder straps in the harness.

My husband took his truck to the police department today for help moving his straps higher and re-installing (it’s been a bit tricky installing in his truck). My husband said the carseat tech strongly suggested we move her to a high back booster using the lap belt and that we get her out of the harness. He said he has never seen a 6-year-old in a 5-point harness. He gave him some copies of pages he’d printed from Safe Kids USA. However, I see nowhere on there that children should be moved to a booster with only a seatbelt simply because they are 6 years old.

Have things changed since I did so much research 3 or so years ago? Is there any reason we should take her out of the harness and move her to a shoulder belt when she still fits in the harness? Does it matter either way safety wise?

Also, She knows she should sit in the seat upward and sit like a "big girl." I still look back there and her legs are all over the place, et cetera.

I’d love to hear thoughts, especially from other carseat techs. I’d also love links to studies on this sort of thing.

Thank you so much for reading.

Kelly

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no links. There are no studies saying a harness or a booster is better at her age and weight. If she can't sit properly, a harness is the answer. If she can, it's up to you guys.

A booster should never be used with a lap belt only, though. That's remarkably dangerous and none are approved that way. If you have a lap belt only you need a harness forever, or at least until she can move to the front seat safely.

Hopefully the tech was just saying she *can* move to a booster, but many techs are not as passionate and well read as those here, and he might honestly think it's bad to keep her harnessed.

I will say, the Swedes do think harnessing a six year old is bad. They think the head, neck, and upper body should move together as one, which isn't possible if the shoulders are restricted. North Americans go the other way (if they have an opinion on it, rather than simply change because their kid meets the minimums on the box). There are no studies saying either is correct, and post crash data shows both save lives.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC