moving from harness to high back booster?

jenand22

My ds (who just turned 4) has low muscle tone - should he stay harnessed longer than average? What is the average age to move from a harnessed seat to a high back booster?

Currently my dd is 5 - turning 6 in May and she is still harnessed. She has been complaining about being in a baby seat, but I just tease her and tell her she'll be in that seat until she's 12 ;) She does sit in a graco turbo booster in her daddy's car. I just have her in a GN and it fits her well and I just haven't had the urge to convert it to a high back booster.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
With low muscle tone, I'd harness until it seems like he can sit up properly for the entire ride. That may be longer, may not. Unless he has skeletal issues, I wouldn't worry about anything beyond his own ability to sit up.

At five years old, if she sat properly, a booster is fine.

Wendy

henrietta

My son has low tone, also. He moved into a high back booster (one w/a lot of support) at 6 yrs old and 40 lbs. He's done really well. He was harnessed up till then in a Regent, which he still fits in, but I can't install it in my car w/the belt path it requires when kids reach 40 lbs.

If you are worried he'll outgrow his current harnessed seat, the Britax Frontier is very supportive and taller than others. Henry loved the Regent that was similar.

The Nautilus is a great seat, but w/poor tone, he may find it really uncomfortable. My son hates it, but every kid is different. He's hated a lot of seats, b/c of his sensory issues.

hths

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC