Moses Baskets

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Has anyone used one? Can you recommend a not too pricey one?

The ones at BRU all are upwards of $100. For a basket. :eek:

I just want something I can use in the first couple months moving baby room to room when I'm getting things done.

Any suggestions?

ADS

Wiggles

My parents used a sturdy laundry basket with a couple of receiving blankets in the bottom for padding with all of us. My sister slept in a laundry basket until she was almost six months old.

Mom2three

We had one...I can't remember where it came from. It was a safety hazard to leave DS in it because DD would try to pick him up anytime I turned my back for 5.2 seconds. She got him out once...and I turned around to see her holding him upside down and bouncing him.

The girls use it for dolls now. We set up the portacrib after that incident...so I could pee without worrying my baby was going to become a ragdoll.

monstah

I had one and used it a lot for DD2. She loved sleeping in it on top of the washer / dryer while I was doing laundry. It was the safest place for her out of the reach of DS & DD1 at the time. I had to be extra careful she wasn't on top of a sheet or anything. (So the kids couldn't pull her down.)

Have you tried craigslist, kijji, etc?

ETA: I'm not sure how safe they are once the baby starts rolling over so I would never pay full price for one. I'd offer to ship you mine but it's so decked out in pink frills and giant bows, it's pretty overwhelming. Like an aftermarket car seat cover. :p

kittykate

We are gear minimalists, so we never used a moses basket, but my friend received one for her baby shower and hated it. She said it was too flimsy feeling for her to actually move her son while he was in it and her son ended up outgrowing it at 6 weeks old. For her next son, she ended up getting a bouncer that reclined flat and used that when she needed to have a safe place to put the baby down.

My solution was a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Travel-Lite-Bassinet-Betsey/dp/B000WII9XA"]Travel Light Pac'n'Play[/ame] (purchased from a yard sale in brand new condition for $20). It was easy to roll from room to room if needed and my sons were able to sleep in it until they were ~18 months old (we used it when we travelled...) It wasn't as small and cute as a moses basket, but it was way more practical for my family as it wasn't an expensive piece of gear that would only be useful for a few months...

Marshall's have them ALL THE TIME!

I always see them there all wrapped up and full of clothing etc. I guess to be given as a gift. Maybe they would have a green or yellow one? I don't know what they are but nowhere near $100 and you might be able to use the stuff that comes with it :thumbsup:

We hd the Pottery Barn bassinet on wheels for Olivia and we would just move the top part round so maybe you could find one on Craigslist?

Just an idea!

Oh and while we're on the topic- a funny story...

We sent my uncle home from the hospital to get the car seat when my cousin was born (1st child) ... he walked back into the ward carrying the Moses basket!

:eek: men....

ctbcleveland

We had one with DS#1 that only the cat ended up using.

I had the fisher price papasan bouncer that was great for a newborn - very sturdy (four legs that touch the floor) and I felt confident that my 2 year old wouldn't knock it over.

mykidsmylife

Yup I have seen them at Ross and Marshells for $25. They are pretty nice. Had I known we were going to have River, I would have bought one.

MANDY1234

With 3 small children around I think a moses basket would be to flimsey :twocents: Dont you remember having to "protect" the baby lol They are so freakin cute though!!! I would totally get one for a baby not so close in age to my other kids...I'll keep my eye out for cheap cute ones ;)

IDK with this one I feel even more so I need to "keep" the other kids from him...for the first time I have a playpen in the house :eek: If I could find a lid for it I would, to keep the older 3 from him!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC