More on the Sienna's 3rd Row

erinnicolevan

Baby #5 is arriving in April. I just bought an '09 Sienna, 7-passenger.

My kids:

7 year old daughter - 49 inches/51 pounds - Parkway
6 year old son - 46 inches/45 pounds - Parkway
3 year old son - 37 inches/37 pounds - FF Radian
2 year old daughter - ? inches/22 pounds - RF Marathon
New baby - in a Primo Viaggio or Chicco KeyFit

My plan was to put the oldest three in the 3rd row - Radian - Parkway - Parkway and the two RF seats in the middle captain's chairs that are pushed together. That will work, but the older two in boosters can't buckle their own seats and I can't fit back there to do it for them.

SO, what do I do now?? I mentioned possibly putting another Radian or two back there but my 7-year-old just about had a heart attack when I suggested that. I tried putting a RF seat in the 3rd row, but I can't get the 2-year-old in that way, even through the liftgate. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I know I've asked this question before, but it's getting down to the wire and my 'plan' isn't working right now and I am getting a little panicky, thinking I should've gotten a cargo van or something instead of my pretty Sienna. LOL

ADS

christineka

I'm curious as to the problem with getting the 2 year old into the back row through the cargo door. When we test drove the sienna we put 3 year old rfing in the back (in a scenera) and I had no problems putting her in. Maybe it is because I am used to it? My 2 and 4 year olds both rf in the third row of our van.

I measured the third row of the sienna and found it to be 50 inches. (It was a 2006 that we test drove.) That is the same as my current van. I have quite a few options that have been able to work. Have you tried parkway, radian, parkway?

NannyMom

I too would suggest parkway, radian, parkway.

Having the stiff buckle stalk on the passenger's side may help the 6 year old buckle.

erinnicolevan

I'm curious as to the problem with getting the 2 year old into the back row through the cargo door. When we test drove the sienna we put 3 year old rfing in the back (in a scenera) and I had no problems putting her in. Maybe it is because I am used to it? My 2 and 4 year olds both rf in the third row of our van.

I guess I just can't see how I would toss her over the back of the seat? Plus, I'd have to actually step into the van cargo area to do this and I normally have my double stroller back there. Is that how people normally do it?? It is so awkward to me...?

I tried the Parkway, Radian, Parkway and my 6-year-old couldn't buckle his seatbelt and I had a reallly hard time reaching my 3-year-old in the middle to buckle the harness and my older two can't do the harness for me, plus, they aren't with us all the time when they are at school during the day.

Is it just something that is going to be a pain and I need to get used to it? LOL I was reallly hoping for something easy for everyone.

erinnicolevan

Maybe I will try switching the Parkways tomorrow to see if that makes a difference for my 6-year-old. It will still be a pain trying to buckle the Radian, but I have some time to get used to it.

christineka

Our van has no headrests. When we test drove the sienna I removed the headrests. In order to get my kiddos in their seats in the third row I do step into the trunk, turn the kid facing the bench, put them up enough that they can propel themselve up over the back and into their seats. The 2 year old willingly turns around and sits proper in his seat. I can't say so much for the 4 year old...

I don't do bulky strollers. I've got a folded one that is partway under my bench. (I know you can't do that with a sienna.) Still, the stroller is small enough to be kept on only one side of the trunk along with the other miscellaneous junk. After a shopping trip I put the kids in their seats before loading the groceries.

Also, sometimes I just go back through the side, sit in dd's vivo (not all the way, but the end where I can fit) and lean over to unbuckle the kiddos. (Older dd likes to be first and generally is in her seat before the younger ones are even close to getting in the van, so for me it only works getting out since she vacates her seat quickly.) I think I've heard you can move a captain's chair over to the middle. If you can, that would help to get back to that third row from the side door.

When we had an infant seat in the back it was more difficult to manoeuvre the seat to its proper position. I think that may be why I came to dislike removing the bucket seat from the vehicle.

erinnicolevan

Our van has no headrests. When we test drove the sienna I removed the headrests. In order to get my kiddos in their seats in the third row I do step into the trunk, turn the kid facing the bench, put them up enough that they can propel themselve up over the back and into their seats. The 2 year old willingly turns around and sits proper in his seat. I can't say so much for the 4 year old...

Hmmm, maybe I will try this again. It was just so odd to me standing in the back and trying to put her in. LOL She probably sensed my hesitation and that didn't help things, either. I wonder if I could put a RF infant seat, Radian, RF Marathon back there....? I have to get the infant seat, I guess, so I can get down to business.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
When my 3yo's are in the 3rd row, I stick them in facing me, feet first through the lift gate. I am tall enough/have long enough arms that I don't usually have to climb inside. They sit down (well, most of the time they do!) and are in position to be buckled

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
When Z was born I had him in the 3rd row in our Freestar and it only lasted for a few days before DH put the veto on it. It was impossible to get his infant seat in through the back and also impossible to get it in through the side and past the other car seats to the back. That was my plan, I had tested it out and thought it would be okay (not easy, but okay) and when it wasn't (and I had to admit that DH was right) it totally caught me off guard. Maybe the Sienna is different than the Freestar and it won't be such a big deal to get an infant seat in the back row, but I wouldn't count on it until you have actually tried it. With our old Windstar, when I was doing daycare, I would put RF kids in the 3rd row through the back, but they were always a little older and could sort of climb in and turn themselves around to be buckled. I'm short, so I would have to actually climb in the back and hunch over the seat to buckle them. Again, not easy, but it can be done. And, actually, when I think about it, that might be easier than climbing in through the side to buckle your 3 yr old in the Radian. This all just sounds a little too familiar. We've had our Freestar for less than a year and I'm already wishing we had a bigger vehicle.

Jennifer mom to my 7

This is why when looking at the sienna when pg with #5, I went with the 8 passenger ;) I am also tall enough to buckle over the rear well of the sienna, but usually dd just climbed into her seat herself with the rest of the kids. Dh did put her in through the back a couple of times though. Even past the strollers. I love my sienna (bummed a little since we outgrew it). I am guessing the 7 passenger doesn't leave as much room with the seats together as the 8 passenger when the seat is flipped up. I was able to kneel where the seat flips and buckle dd ff in the middle 3rd row and buckle ds rf in the middle second row at the same time. I have never tried the install of a radian in the 3rd row. Could you do the radian latch passenger side, and then the boosters next to each other? That way the kids would be buckling on the same side, kwim? Maybe not, with the small distance with the middle seatbelt. Sorry I can't help.

sirrahn

.....I am guessing the 7 passenger doesn't leave as much room with the seats together as the 8 passenger when the seat is flipped up. I was able to kneel where the seat flips and buckle dd ff in the middle 3rd row and buckle ds rf in the middle second row at the same time. I have never tried the install of a radian in the 3rd row. Could you do the radian latch passenger side, and then the boosters next to each other? That way the kids would be buckling on the same side, kwim? Maybe not, with the small distance with the middle seatbelt. Sorry I can't help.

:thumbsup:Yes, I think that's the problem. I know when we were looking at the Sienna and had to test drive a 7 passenger, I thought the aisle to get in the back was fairly tight (it had the captain's seats together.) Flipping the outboard seat in the 8 pass. gives more room.

I think the idea of putting the boosters together and the radian passenger side might work though. I'm not sure a parkway will go in the middle well, but maybe a more narrow FP booster (or two) if you can find one. I've had 2 SR/C (very similar to the FP boosters) in those two spots with a MA passenger side and they were able to get buckled. The booster kids can help each other by holding the buckles up. You could try it with the parkways first though, it might work....

GL!

erinnicolevan

:thumbsup:

I think the idea of putting the boosters together and the radian passenger side might work though. I'm not sure a parkway will go in the middle well, but maybe a more narrow FP booster (or two) if you can find one. I've had 2 SR/C (very similar to the FP boosters) in those two spots with a MA passenger side and they were able to get buckled. The booster kids can help each other by holding the buckles up. You could try it with the parkways first though, it might work....

GL!

That's where I originally tried everyone - Radian - Parkway - Parkway.

We got the 7-passenger because the 8-passenger just wasn't as 'nice', you know? I wonder if I can trade my paid-for '09 XLE for an LE, just about straight-up? I would realllly miss some of the features, though. What is the narrowest booster seat? What about those travel vests? Would those be acceptable for everyday use for my 7-year-old?

sirrahn

That's where I originally tried everyone - Radian - Parkway - Parkway.

We got the 7-passenger because the 8-passenger just wasn't as 'nice', you know? I wonder if I can trade my paid-for '09 XLE for an LE, just about straight-up? I would realllly miss some of the features, though. What is the narrowest booster seat? What about those travel vests? Would those be acceptable for everyday use for my 7-year-old?

Sorry, not sure how I missed that!

I think the FP boosters are the narrowest (but not sure where they're available still) and although they have armrests, they don't have the sides like the Parkway which makes it a little easier to see to buckle. Honestly though I don't think buckling two boosters of any kind back there is going to be a lot of fun.

The thing about vests (or maybe the Safeguard Go) is that you need a tether anchor and you've only got that offset one for the "middle" back there if you keep the radian passenger side. Not sure if that would work.

I have no clue about trading your van. I guess you'd just have to weigh the headache of getting your kids in every day (and really I don't know that it's going to be simple with 5 in seats in *anything* LOL!) vs. your creature comforts.

It just occurred to me that I have a Radian out for delivery today and when DH gets home I'll have a 2nd SR/C. I'd be glad to try that combo back there to see if it's anymore doable for kids' buckling. At least you'd have an idea if it's worth trying to track down the newer FP version.

Last edited:

erinnicolevan

Ohhhhh, I didn't realize the vests had to be tethered. That would be a huge pain every time!! Darnit.

I am guessing that whatever car we have, besides a Sprinter or something, is going to be a pain while I've got so many in carseats. My husband reallly didn't want the LE Sienna, but I might go look at them tomorrow, just to see the difference.

C

carseatFREAK35

HERES MY ADVICE!! HOPE ITS NOT TOO LATE!!

Pust the two captains chairs together, leaving the opening on the drivers side of the door. Have your two year old and three year old sit in the captains chairs. In the passenger side third row put your seven year old (who can buckle herself in a booster?). In the middle third row put your six year old (hoping they get along!). And in the space in the third row drivers side put the upcoming baby. You should have enough space to put the keyfit on the floor in front of your two year old dd while you climb in the open space to buckle up your six year old son, then put the baby in. It might be nice to have an older kid to sit next to the baby, he can pick up a dropped passifier or play with.

7 year old... 6 year old... keyfit30

3 year old... 2 year old... SPACEE

Passenger.....................Mommy

HOPE THIS MAY HELP, it would stink to give up your Sienna! And congrats on the upcoming baby! Best of luck!

Mom to a few

I have an '06 Sienna, and have the captain's chairs together too. When I recently had to transport 5 kids, I put Parkway--FF Boulevard--Parkway in the 3rd row. I was still able to easily buckle up all of them. I slid the passenger side captain's chair all the way forward on it's track so that I would have more room to reach them. Good luck!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Try putting the Parkway's outboard in the 3rd row, and the infant seat in the center of the 3rd row.

Alternately, you could put a Radian, keyfit, parkway in the 3rd row.

Kat_Momof3

I'm just curious why they can't buckle themselves... because I know a mom who used to post on the old babycenter and who still is a member of strollerswap group on yahoo who had a sienna (before she had more than 6 kids) when she had only 6 kids and she was able to fit a Regent, Parkway, and Marathon or Regent, Marathon and seatbelt kid, or Regent, Parkway, and seatbelt kid (think teenager)..... those two harnessed seats are wider and bulkier than the Radian for sure.

and a teenager is at least as wide as a parkway.

I guess I'm saying I don't understand why you don't have the space... unless they (HORROR FACE) made the bench narrower.

Kat_Momof3

oh... and she used to put the Marathon, when it was back there, rf (until her daughter got too big)... she did it the way I always did... remove headrest, if any, and put kiddo in feet first... then put knee (I had a caravan) or foot on the edge of the van (there is rubber there, you'll notice in front of the storage space (aka... in front of stacked strollers... I used to keep 1 double and 3 singles in there at one point... and she kept more... lucky duck had more space (though also more need for different strollers)... so height is your key there... being tall enough to do this... to situate and buckle baby... and tighten/loosen if needed.

I don't recommend it offhand for an infant seat... unless you have the seat in the 2nd row installed ff with latch (in my van, you can still flip the seat forward if it is... not sure about the toyota)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC