More booster issues

KeikiHula

Has anyone had any troubles with the lack of padding and flatness of the seat in the BG? Morgan's "back knees" keep hurting him on long car trips and I'm assuming it's b/c his legs are asleep. He also complains that his butt hurts. We tried stacking up coats and a bag (we were traveling back from WA Sunday) on the floor for him to rest his feet on, but he said his butt still hurt.
I plan on getting a PW in the next few weeks b/c the lock offs are being an issue, and I went and petted one at BRU while we were in Seattle, but I'm wondering if the PW will solve our problems?

ADS

uccomama

Senior Community Member
Sort of similar problem with the BG. My 8 year old DD uses one in DH's van and it really is too short in the seat for her, so her legs dangle and she tends to slouch forward. Julie has a footrest ie a cheap plastic footstool, for her DS, he is in a Parkway, honestly, I don't think the PW would be much of an improvement.

KeikiHula

hmmm....ok, well my only other option is a Husky, but I have reasons against that too. Is there any other booster out there that has more leg/rear end support?

uccomama

Senior Community Member
KeikiHula said:
ok, wait, what about a Recaro?

I wouldn't bother with the Young Style, also a narrow booster. The Young Sport is deeper, but it is the combo seat that harnesses to 40 lbs then converts to a booster. Really the very best option I have found is the Recaro Start, it has an adjustable seat and it adjusts to about 17" deep which is way deeper than the other seats and you can buy a footrest which really makes a huge difference to a child's comfort IMO. The Start is between $285 and $349 plus the $80 footrest so it isn't cheap. I have photos of my DD and DS in the Start here, scroll down to last three photos for the most recent ones. Another more budget option, that has a deeper and more angled seat is the Compass B500, but it has a short back and few kids can use it beyond 48" tall.

Deborah

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i just thought i'd share that my family owns a race team (SCCA for those interested) and when we travel we actually created the term dead butt for those pains in the butt and legs. Its literally like your butt falls asleep or the muscles hurt from your own weight on them.

We've found the best solution to being on longer trips is to stop every hour or so and take a walk. (we have smokers on the team but a smoke free tow vehicle so this is almost necessary or the smokers get testy) It stretches the muscle and aide blood flow. It recommended that anyone who rides in a car for a long time do this to prevent blood clots from forming in their legs particularly in the knees. (i had a blood clot form in my back calf on a trip from MI to West VA to SC somewhere in upper west VA. It was very very painful and required 2 days ion the hospital very far from home. and i'm only 18 you cant be too young to have a blood clot form.)

KeikiHula

Dreaming_of_Speed said:
i just thought i'd share that my family owns a race team (SCCA for those interested) and when we travel we actually created the term dead butt for those pains in the butt and legs. Its literally like your butt falls asleep or the muscles hurt from your own weight on them.

We've found the best solution to being on longer trips is to stop every hour or so and take a walk. (we have smokers on the team but a smoke free tow vehicle so this is almost necessary or the smokers get testy) It stretches the muscle and aide blood flow. It recommended that anyone who rides in a car for a long time do this to prevent blood clots from forming in their legs particularly in the knees. (i had a blood clot form in my back calf on a trip from MI to West VA to SC somewhere in upper west VA. It was very very painful and required 2 days ion the hospital very far from home. and i'm only 18 you cant be too young to have a blood clot form.)

Usually we do stop every couple hours, but when we travel at night, it would be nice if the kids would just sleep so we could get there faster. It's an 8-9 hour trip, and we have stretched it out to 15 hours when Morgan was a baby b/c we stopped every 2 hours to feed and change him. He also complains on the 1.5 trip down to Spokane that his back knees hurt, so I want to find him something that will be comfy at least that long.
Deborah~I've never seen the Recaro's in person, but I just assumed the Young Style was the same as the Young Sport without a harness. I know that my dh won't go for the Start. He grumbles about spending $250 on the Wizard when Morgan only used it for a few months, even though Cody can now use it for the next few years (which was my sneaky plan all along...LOL) and then spending $89 on the BG, which we now dislike. Although the other night on the way home, after listening to Morgan cry about his back knees for 3 hours he told me "I wish you woulda just bought that other seat (the PW) while we were at BRU. I would have gladly spent three times that much to not have to listen to him whine". So that means he wouldn't care if I spent $300 on a new booster, right??? ;) I think tomorrow when I am in the city, I will take Morgan and try all the different boosters at Target and see if I can find something better.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ooooh....Jenny...I DID have some willpower against getting a Start, but now I don't think I do!!!...hope they are still that price next week when I'll actually have some money :D

U

Unregistered

Wow, wow, wow! Ok, THIS is a price I could pay .... does it NEED to be tethered or is it an option? I keep putting off getting a booster but some day it's going to really cause a problem to just have the Huskys. I'd been thinking a Parkway but......
I like the adjustable seat depth and head phones ( how do they work?) and all that SIP. Is it easy to pop into someones car?? How does it compare weight wise to a BG or PW???
Gotta decide quick here, I'm sure they'll all be gone or only have black left!!
C.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's about 25 pounds and yes, it *must* be tethered (since it's so heavy, there's some concern it might 'crush' a child in a crash....oddly, this isn't a concern in Europe,where the seat is used UNtethered, so I don't know how important it really is, but yes, it must be tethered). Moving from car to car is really not something you'd want to do, unless you were on a weight lifting regimen :D

U

Unregistered

OH, well, we have the Husky's ( I'm NOT moving them around) but I'm thinking of a booster that could go in someone elses car if needed. Mostly grandparents at this point but perhaps friends. It would be in garage and then go into a car and back out as needed, which would be more as kids get older. Hmmm 25 lbs isn't that heavy, I tote 40lb bags of dog food pretty regularly. Well, need to think, always good anyway huh? :) Just don't want to end up regretting not getting one. Lets see, good for 6 years? Three years for older dd 7 1/2 - 10 1/2 then passed on to younger dd who would be 8 and good til she's 11.
Would you say the PW would be more practical for my use? I REALLY want to keep my kids harnessed but can forsee the day that it interferes with her social life! So when they are 'boostered' I want them ASafeAP.
BTW dh is rethinking trip to NY due to 'booster issue' sigh, doesn't want to have to deal with it. Unfortunately with our kids 'petiteness' it's an 'issue' that will be around a good number of years more! Just can't get him to jump on the 'car seat fan bandwagon'.

KeikiHula

hmmm...well I'm thinking that a Start won't solve my other booster problems like ease of use. The reason I was thinking about a PW to begin with is so Morgan could buckle himself. If the Start has lockoffs too, that doesn't help me any. Also, even for the sale price, I would rather spend the money on a Husky. So I think for now I will just make Morgan a footrest and see if it helps. When we piled up all the stuff for him the other night, his legs were already hurting, but maybe if he could have a foot rest from the begining, his legs would never go to sleep.
It seems dumb to me that they can make regular harnessed carseats so comfy, but boosters tend to be flat and unpadded. As kids get older and bigger, I would think it would be more important to have propper padding and support.

scatterbunny

FWIW, I think the Parkway is very nicely padded. It isn't flat, either...it kind of curves down at the edge where the child's knees rest. It might not be as deep as what's needed for long-legged kids, but it IS very padded.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto Jenny - for my SD, I have a big styrofoam box that I keep on the floor for her to rest her feet on & my BD usually gets to use the PW in the middle position (with shoulder belt) so she just takes off her shoes & puts her stinky feet up on the arm rest thingy between the front seats, LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC