Moms who do not buckle

U

Unregistered

I think it's so irresponsible not to insist that all passengers are secured properly in a carseat/seatbelt. In my car it's either buckle up or start walking. I couldn't live with myself if I allowed someone to ride in my car unrestrained, and something happened. I think it should be a law that seatbelts are required in a seating positions.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We just got our new van at my parents and the first time they were in the car I made them wear their seatbelts (after we left and noticed them not bucling up). I hadn't thought the projectile aspect either, but it makes sense and since they were in the 3nd row behind my children, glad they buckled up! lol Anytime they rode w/ me from then on, they wore their belts. I admit I used to not wear my seatbelt in the backseat until I got into an accident once back there and I still have permanant dents in my shins from hitting the seat in front of me. I'm lucky that and some soreness was all I had since our car was totalled.

super_grape

OOOOOH, I can't wait to show this to my DH!

The work van is out of comission so his brother
rented a Cargo van for a job they're doing and this
morning they came to the house to get some lumber
(my DH, BIL, FIL), as they were driving away I realized that
it's a 2 seater so guess where my DH was sitting...on the FLOOR!
This is sooooo not cool and I don't really understand why, he had our van
and could've driven it, but I do know it'll be the last time he does that:mad: !
He had a few "animated" phone calls from me once I figured it out.

Maybe I'll make his father and brother watch it too.....

FWIW, nobody rides in my car w/o a seatbelt...I have choice words with MIL when she just puts the seat belt around her but dosen't buckle it:confused: ,
She says it's not comfortable and I tell her neither is flying thru the
windshield......Why oh why are people so careless??!!

JOII

I lurk but rarely post, but had to throw this in!

Here is the video you want to see! (though if you are squeemish or easily disturbed DONT WATCH.)

I dont know what this is, I guess a dash cam that caught a wreck, but WOW!

Really, dont click if you dont want to see this....

I do like that british one too, but this one is REAL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSYxbqM2zvI

U

Unregistered

I must admit I never wore a seatbelt in the rear of a vehicle until I was i a bad accident my senior year of college. After that I never rode without one or

U

Unregistered

mom of teens

When my kids got independent and decided they could ride without seat belts, I nagged and taught and told and reminded and then one day, on a clear neighborhood street, I stomped on the brakes hard enough to toss them a bit but not really hurt them. The lesson in reality at a slow speed with a careful mom took, and they are adamant about being buckled in and making sure everyone else is. I don't perform my taxi mom role until everyone is buckled in, and the girls threaten their friends with, "If you don't buckle up, mom will do what she did to us!" Don't know that it would work well with older relatives, but it sure took on the kids. I also live in Oregon, and refuse to get ticketed for teens not being buckled up and teens know the value of not getting tickets! Be safe...

"mom" of many
"mother" of two lovely girls, 17 and 20 now.

U

Unregistered

Maybe I'm a bad mother but I don't wear seat belts in the back and I certainly do not make my adult passengers.

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Maybe I'm a bad mother but I don't wear seat belts in the back and I certainly do not make my adult passengers.

Yeah, I'd at least guess your not too bright.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Riding without a seatbelt in any seating position is absolutely not worth the risk of being thrown/ejected in a crash or becoming a human projectile who injures or kills your kids or other passengers. A case in point: A young woman in her 20s in my area was riding in the rear seat of a car unrestrained this past weekend. When the driver lost control of the car and hit a tree, the unrestrained woman in the rear seat was killed instantly when she was thrown forward and collided with the dashboard. :( The driver and another front seat passenger who had on their seatbelts survived, although they did sustain some injuries.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If you're prepared to kill your child, then that's your choice, but I'll call the police if I see you :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Also, just last weekend my nephew was riding in my van, along with his little sister & Leila & I -- he's 18 & didn't want to buckle ... I told him that I don't start the car until everyone is buckled & asked him how much he weighs (150#) then told him to multiply it by 30. "OK, that means that if some jerk crashes into us at only 30MPH you will crash into your baby sister & my daughter with 4,500 pounds of force" ... he replied: "Man, guess I'm buckling from now on" LOL! You betcha mister.

Lara

Why do people not wear their seatbelt in the backseat? Just because it is supposed to be safer in the back dosen't mean the physics of an accident are different and you will be immune to any injury in a crash. I personaly think that you (and all your passengers) would be much safer in the front belted than the back unbelted.
Once a couple years ago I did what a pp mentioned and tapped the breaks with a friend of mine that refused to buckle up. Not hard enough to hurt her but she did fly forward. I never saw her unbuckled again:).

Lara

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Unregistered said:

Hmmm...

I don't mean to be rude, but I think that is setting a TERRIBLE example for your children. More importantly, you are risking not only your own life, but the lives of every other person in that vehicle (your children included) when you don't buckle up. Is it fair to risk the lives of other people just because you don't care to buckle up?

In my car, EVERYONE wears a seatbelt or sits in a harnessed carseat. There are no options and nothing is up for discussion. I don't care if the other people in my car are adults- in my car, SEATBELTS ARE THE RULE! Everyone respects my rule and buckles up.

skaterbabs

Exactly. Children who don't see their parents buckle up every ride, every time, are significantly more likely to not buckle themselves as adults.

jenny03

In my car, EVERYONE wears a seatbelt or sits in a harnessed carseat. There are no options and nothing is up for discussion. I don't care if the other people in my car are adults- in my car, SEATBELTS ARE THE RULE! Everyone respects my rule and buckles up.
Yup. My son unbuckled himself as we were pulling into the driveway once, and I did not see him. As the car stopped, he lunged forward. He hasn't done it since. I believe the law here says you only need to buckle (as an adult) in the front seat. It's a stupid law. :(

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's the law here too- under 16 must be buckled or restrained. Over 16 only has to be buckled in the front seat.

Even though that is the law, MY LAW in MY CAR is that EVERYONE buckles. I don't care if it is not the law. It is MY LAW. :) I figure that as long as I am obeying the law, I can make it more stringent if I want to do so. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC