Minivans with latch system

selah925

Are there any minivans with the latch system across the very back row for three carseats? I am curious to see if another vehicle would be more appropriate for us. Odyssey? Town & Country?

We have a Toyota Sienna and it only has a latch system in the middle seat and passenger side of the very back row ... not one for behind the driver's side. I am hoping to get three carseats across the back. I currently have a Britax Marathon, Nautilus and Graco safeseat. I'll be needing another carseat soon for an upcoming baby. I was just going to get another nautilus, but if there is some other configuration that would allow three to fit in the back, I'll check there.

ADS

Pixels

I don't think there are any vehicles with LATCH three across the third row. You don't need LATCH to safely install seats. In fact, LATCH has weight limits whereas seat belts don't, and LATCH often isn't practical in a three across situation as you get more room with the belts.

It sounds like you have a 2004-2010 Sienna. Three across the third row is not too difficult, though you will need to use the seat belt in the center as that position's LATCH is offset.

The Nautilus is fairly wide, and you already have one. What are the ages, heights, and weights of your three older children?

Holly

The 2011 Honda Odyssey has LATCH and tether anchors in ALL the 2nd and 3rd row spots. As far as I know, it's the only one that does.

selah925

I love having the help of this forum! :)

5 year old is 42 lbs & 44.5 in.- currently in 5 pt nautilus
3 year old is 32 lbs & 38.5 in.- currently in FF Britax Marathon
18 mth old is 17.5 lbs- currently in RF Graco Safeseat

YinzerMama

So I am considering trading in our Sienna for a Honda... but not over LATCH.

I have to admit I was scared to death of a seatbelt install when we got our frontiers. I had never done it. I have a friend who is an EMT who told me have their guy do it for me but I called him and he was like try it yourself and THEN come in, I want you to try first. OK. SO I tried. And it took a lot of swearing but I got them in really good. He said they were great. I have since had to undo and redo them a few times and it gets easier each time. I am amazing at it now. Sheepish over how scared I once was. So while LATCH is nice... the seatbelt factor is not necc. worth buying a new car over LOL.

Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised/humiliated as I was. :)

(one of my girls is only 32 pounds but the other is 40 and I know they won't stick to dedicated seats so I figured I better bite the bullet and learn the seatbelt install)

Syllieann

The latch limit in the honda is only 40# so even if it did have 3 sets of anchors across the back, you'd still have to learn sb install as pp said since you already have a 42#-er.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
When installing seats 3 across it is usually easiest to use seatbelts. Using seatbelts gives you more inches which are needed when doing 3 across.

Also, LATCH has weight limits in vehicles and different seats have weight limits too. So in many vehicles your oldest would have to be installed with a seatbelt.

selah925

I didn't know that about the 40lb weight limit for the latch system. That is good to know. Hmmm.... still to decide about what extra carseat to get when our next baby comes in March.

jjordan

I didn't know that about the 40lb weight limit for the latch system. That is good to know. Hmmm.... still to decide about what extra carseat to get when our next baby comes in March.

Not all vehicles have a 40# weight limit for LATCH, I think the pp that mentioned it was specifically referring to Honda vehicles. I don't know offhand what the limit is for Toyota, although you could check your owner's manual.

rxmommy

40lbs for Honda, 48lbs for Toyota. Regardless of the kiddo's weight though you usually need to use seatbelts for 3-across installs so you can maximize space.

Pixels

40lbs for Honda, 48lbs for Toyota. Regardless of the kiddo's weight though you usually need to use seatbelts for 3-across installs so you can maximize space.

Toyota doesn't have a stated limit. They defer to the restraint manufacturer. Graco's limit is 48. Britax says their limit is 48, but also to check the vehicle limit and if the vehicle doesn't specify then it is 40.

YinzerMama

I thought Toyota "deferred to the manufacturer" - which mean you can latch a MA to 48 pounds but only up to 40 for a FR85. Grrrrr. OTOH I actually found the LATCH install with the frontier 85 to be HARDER than using the seatbelt, so I guess it is just as well. Not sure what it is with other seats.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In the 2009 LATCH Manual, Britax stated that the 40# LATCH limit applied to all the seats. I don't know if that's been updated in 2011.

elyrayday

The latch limit in the honda is only 40# so even if it did have 3 sets of anchors across the back, you'd still have to learn sb install as pp said since you already have a 42#-er.

Does the limit mean it is a 40 lb child? Or does the limit apply to the weight of child+car seat? What does the typical car seat weigh?

Syllieann

The safeseat and the marathon have built-in lockoffs don't they? That should make a seatbelt install fairly simple. The latch limit refers to the child's weight only...well, with clothes and shoes.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
elyrayday said:
Does the limit mean it is a 40 lb child? Or does the limit apply to the weight of child+car seat? What does the typical car seat weigh?

Just the weight of the child for Honda. There is at least on vehicle manufacture that it is a combined weight or child and carseat.

MommyShannon

While full LATCH is not needed in all spots, it's nice to have top tethers everywhere since they are recommended for FF seats. So you have more flexibility on where to put FF seats then. We have an '06 Ody 7 seater and it has top tethers in all 2nd and 3rd row positions. The center 3rd row one is an awkward spot but it's there. I normally like seatbelt installs fine.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Are there any minivans with the latch system across the very back row for three carseats? I am curious to see if another vehicle would be more appropriate for us. Odyssey? Town & Country?

We have a Toyota Sienna and it only has a latch system in the middle seat and passenger side of the very back row ... not one for behind the driver's side. I am hoping to get three carseats across the back. I currently have a Britax Marathon, Nautilus and Graco safeseat. I'll be needing another carseat soon for an upcoming baby. I was just going to get another nautilus, but if there is some other configuration that would allow three to fit in the back, I'll check there.

I have a 2005 8 passenger sienna. I can get 3 across the back. What are the ages and sizes of the kids using the seats now? What safeseat is it? The infant seat or the toddler seat? If the toddler seat, that thing is a beast. IF the infant seat, when does it expire?

You can install a radian rf in the driver side third row. Works even better with the recline wedge. I have 2 older/bigger kids back there now with the rf seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC