Maxi Cosi Mico base fail

henrietta

I can definitely see this problem w/the shoulder belt...installed this seat for my sil a few months ago and didn't have a huge problem w/that, but can definitely see it. As for the base's recline foot "collapsing", I'll have to ask her to double check it. Haven't heard any complaints, but it's also possible we would all think it was b/c of the forward of the bight seatbelt she has in the center position in her SUV.

Thanks for the heads up!

ADS

canadiangie

I met a Mico the other day (DOM 2010 something) that behaved like it ought to be recalled for seat-to-base issues. I realize that's not the issue here, but IMHO (and having had way too many encounters with the Mico) it's a seat that gives me pause for thought and concern in general :eek:.

There is now a sticker on the base of the newest models that says something to the effect of: "helpful parent hint- make sure the release lever is pulled out for ease of use prior to attaching seat". HELLO?! Dorel you're telling parents that a helpful hint is to manually disengage the base release lever? :eek: Like there's a chance it might get stuck?? I was pretty sure this issue was part of the reason the (CAD) Mico seats were recalled to begin with. :confused:

As for the base collapsing under itself, I would make the decision (newly rec'd or old base) to use noodles instead. Also, if the vehicle in question is an '02 and has LATCH I would opt to use it over a lap/shoulder, for a few reasons. If a lap/shoulder has to be used then lock the belt at the very end. If that doesn't work then use a locking clip, I guess.

Chrissy

Also, if the vehicle in question is an '02 and has LATCH I would opt to use it over a lap/shoulder, for a few reasons.

My latch points are very funky. Makes any 3 across impossible. Also places two seats far enough apart that my 7 year old can't reach the baby to give her a paci or clean her off when she refluxes. Which is often.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Thanks. Guess I was thinking no base. The designer 22 base is better designed though.

Pixels

Meh, the first video, doesn't bother me. You put your knees in the seat, rocked it back and forth, and then popped it with your body weight to get it to collapse.

If the owner is saying it's collapsing during normal use, then it's a problem because of the annoyance and frequent reinstalls necessary. If using noodles in an acceptable alternative (they're not with Chicco, but I think everyone else allows them) with the base in (some manufacturers want the base all the way extended if you need to use additional noodles), then it's a work-around.

Crash scenarios don't worry me in the least with the collapsing base. If pool noodles were used, or if the base collapses, or if nothing of the sort happens, the initial crash phase (downward rotation) won't be affected. On rebound, infant seats and even many convertibles tend to get stuck quite upright, not falling all the way back down flat on the vehicle seat.

I didn't know the D22 allowed the shoulder belt to be wrapped around in European routing. Learned something new.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I didn't know the D22 allowed the shoulder belt to be wrapped around in European routing. Learned something new.

At one time that was mandatory with the baseless install. It caused problems because not all seatbelts were long enough and with flat vehicle seats and long buckle stalks the D22 base sometimes has compatibility issues making a baseless install necessary in some cases.

Dorel revised it a few years ago - don't remember how many now, to allow not routing the shoulder belt behind the shell if the belt isn't long enough. The last time I read the manual it was worded in such a way that they really want you to route it that way, but if it won't work, then go ahead and do it with the shoulder belt against the seat back.

The Mico base belt path is just a crappy design in general. The collapsing foot is an issue though because it's not designed to do that. I'd have to look up the exact wording, but there is a wording in CMVSS 213.1 about the recline position of a seat not changing during dynamic testing unless specifically designed to change by the manufacturer. I'm not sure if an adjustable foot collapsing would fall in to this category or not - it also is an issue because I imagine that on a test bench the foot might not even need to be extended - and if it's a 1 in a million occurrence, what are the odds of it happening during compliance testing?

So far as the release for the seat to base, the recall was because of the seat not popping on all the way when placed back on the base. They have changed some hardware in the base, and it's definitely easier to get off the base and back on now, but I still don't have any love for the Mico... just too many issues for the price of the seat. (Though I don't know what price is like in the US, and there are some strollers that it's the only carseat compatible with, meaning people buy it because they love the stroller.)

Chrissy

just too many issues for the price of the seat. (Though I don't know what price is like in the US, and there are some strollers that it's the only carseat compatible with, meaning people buy it because they love the stroller.)

They are $169-199 for seat and base. I got mine for $99 from Albee Baby because it was an older DOM and cover.

You're right about the stroller issue. I believe the Quinny series will only mate with the Mico. I have a Quinny Zapp that I bought specifically because it would mate with the Mico (which I'd already purchased). I was very surprised that Baby Jogger makes an adapter to use with the Mico. I now have that combo, with a City Mini, and use it almost exclusively.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I installed an 07 mico today. The base did the same thing, and I didn't even put a knee on it. And ditto what a PP said about seat to base connection. I tried pulling the handle out bit couldn't ever get the seat to lock into the base. It would click but I could easily lift the seat out of the base. I had to install it w/o the base. Mom didn't have the manual and although I got a good angle and tight install I am still worried about it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I installed it again today. I dod not lock the seat belt until the end. That helped with the stupid belt path issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC