Marathon ?

I posted awhile ago about my daughter complaining her back hurt in her Marathon 70 when she sits in it. I loosened the straps but that doesn't seem to help any she is still complaining her back hurts. She is 5 years old almost 45 pounds. Here are some pics of her in the seat She doesn't do this in her britax Frontier seat in the other car.

d2737ac7-5099-47fb-ae81-44aaa03acf6a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

56781e69-27d9-4d6d-a3f2-00f001e92cc2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm going to bed it's the lack of leg support at her size. Her legs are hanging and putting strain on her lower back. Try folding up some blankets in the floorboard for her feet to rest on and see if that helps.

Keeyamah

I'm going to bed it's the lack of leg support at her size. Her legs are hanging and putting strain on her lower back. Try folding up some blankets in the floorboard for her feet to rest on and see if that helps.

:yeahthat: I'm with Jess here. Same thing happened to my older son is his First Years True Fit, his legs got just long enough to hang over then end, but not long enough to bend at the knee. I ended up making him a foot rest from a cube of pool noodles and some PVC pipe to support the rope (ran that through the rearfacing belt path).

Yup, probably dangling legs! You could try some of the things that the ladies above have mentioned, and it should really help the problem. Another suggestion would be to pick up a foam beverage cooler (emphasis on foam! it must be very light and not hard plastic, as this presents a risk as a projectile), put some duct tape around the edges and top to keep it from getting destroyed by shoes, and let her rest her feet on it :)

If this doesn't help, you can try putting the Marathon in its second recline position (only recline positions 1 and 2 are permitted for forward facing use, recline position 3 is for rear facing only, but this becomes quite clear when you have it in that position!), this may help tilt her backward more and keep her bum back and scoot her legs in a little more.

Also, I know you have checked the seat for anything that may be sticking into her back, but have you checked that the black foam pad located along the back of the seat where her spine would rest is not rolled up and is lying flat? I have raised and lowered the harness on my Britax seats and had that piece bunch up. I have actually taken the comfort foam out of the back of my seat as the kids prefer it that way :scratcheshead:

HTH!

YinzerMama

The two things I suggested before were dangling legs and squished shoulders. To me it looks like she has her shoulders hunched forward and isn't reclining comfortably in the seat - and I am sure the legs are an issue as well. I thought you had already tried something for the legs though - am I misremembering?

I will have to make sure that there is nothing bunched up behind her back but if i remember when I took it out last time I didn't see anything bunched up. I will have to take it out and recline it. I have put something under her feet she still complains so I will make sure its nothing bunched up and I will recline it more. Thanks

MommyShannon

Do you think she's ready to try a booster part time on the secondary vehicle? That'd be a more affordable replacement she can be growing into.

I do have a booster for her Graco Turbobooster with safety surround because I wanted to train her on how to sit in it because a friend that takes her occasionally was putting her in a booster. I booster trained her over the summer but once winter hit I put her back into her Marathon 70 seat. I have a really hard time switching them to boosters even though I know they are safe as long as they use them properly. I finally put my 6 year old one a booster because he needed a new seat as a couple of my seats where expiring and I didn't want to buy another 5 point harness seat when I would have to eventually booster him. She actually is taller and weighs more then my 6 year old son.

Carolinadaisy

I agree with using the booster. My son is 5.5 yrs old and about 46.5" and 44 lbs and rides in a Vivo in DH's car to kindergarten most mornings and for short trips around town on the weekends. He does great!

YinzerMama

If she's too big, she's too big. I think the height and weight guidelines britax puts on their convertibles are incredibly misleading to parents. The seats just don't have the width for a bigger kid. Probably safer for you to drive without a kid in the back seat complaining. :)

My girls have used a booster in my husband's car for quite a while now and they do great. I'm not sure how I'd feel if we used both cars equally but they have been trying out boosters in my car for the past week and are moving to boosters full time when they turn 6 (assuming I make up my mind on which booster to go with...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC