Marathon covers for Fpsvd?

Knittingfor4

That's great that Britax says that, but I'd want more assurance than "some random CR". My thoughts are that it's perfectly fine in some cases. But I'd want to make darn sure that the slots and thickness are identical to Britax.

I'm confused about the legal issue though. If there were an accident with a seat with a homemade cover, Britax would sue the parents? Why? And why deal with Britax? Doesn't the car ins. company reimburse the replacement cost? Do they care about the cover, or anything else about the seat for that matter? What does Britax have to do with anything unless you call them and blab everything?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
ITA and would want something in writing approving a home made after market cover rather than just a CSR's word on it. :twocents:

The legal issue could come into play if a child is injured or worse in a crash and a product liability lawsuit is filed against the seat manufacturer by the family/child's representative, not vice versa, unless a countersuit is filed. Then the seat manufacturer could attempt to defend itself by claiming misuse and/or an after market product caused the seat to fail to properly protect the child, rather than something inherent in the seat's design or performance. I'm not saying it would be a total "get out of product liability free card" for the manufacturer, but it could add another gray layer of complexity and finger pointing in our already complicated world of legal proceedings. :twocents:

Yoshi

I fail to see how it is an ethics thing? Other then the fact that I'm sure britax charges more for their covers then fisher price does. It's the same seat!! I don't think its any different then buying a different cover for your seat then the one that came with.

Software "sharing" and illegal downloading is an ethical thing. That's what I meant - comparing that people do things that are wrong or illegal anyway.

momof2kiddos

I thought about it and I use a marathon cover on my dc for madisyn and I don't see any harm in that,so well I think tristan would be okay using a britax cover on his fpsv since I don't like the cover.Oh and no it is not to "pretend" it is a britax marathon,lol,it's because the fpsv covers are just ugly to me and they don't feel soft and comfy at all.

So I do take back my last post,I didn't even think about madi's dc,and I feel she is very safe.

Connor's Mom

I just can not see how the cover effects the overall safety of the seat. I have said this in other threads (this seems like a popular topic) and no one can give me any hard and fast reasons as to how it effects safety. I have heard alot of "it voids your warranty" and "it was tested with that cover" but I want to know HOW (examples) it effects the overall safety if the cover is changed. I personally think that it is a marketing ploy for Britax to make more money by demanding you buy only their covers. Maybe I just need to be educated, I don't know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC