Maam' You have your seat installed wrong!

littleangelfire

I looked at it today at the doctor's office, but I had to stop because I read the circ blurb and the cosleeping article. :mad::mad:

Ooohh I'm intrigued - I haven't gotten to look at the new one yet. Shouldn't be surprised if its negative on the cosleeping, I guess - the whole US seems to think its bad to allow your child to sleep with you. When one of my friends said their new baby will NOT ever sleep with them I just thought, its ok to be against cosleeping, but how said. Some of sweetest memories will always be of cuddling my baby while sleeping. :)

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

I also wanted to add that I carry information about ERF in my diaper bag for reasons like this. I also carry it to hand to people that I think will read it. I would have handed her my information. I might have also had a snide comment or 2 about her child was in more danger than mine was!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
That's one of the times being a tech really comes in handy. All I have to say is "maam, I took the National Child Passenger Safety Technician course in 1999, and have been teaching parents to install car seats ever since then. I'm absolutely positive I have more than enough information about how ffing children get their necks broken to be perfectly OK with the idea of my rfing child possibly breaking her legs."

henrietta

Seriously, I'd have been irritated b/c it's TERRIBLE that pediatricians, nurses, policemen, EMT's, and the average, decently educated parent is NOT hearing about ERF all over the news, in parenting magazines, etc. Chances are, she really, really thought she was correct. That's terribly sad, not something to be angry about (except for her child's safety). I think every parent should be properly informed by their ped and the hospital when they take baby home, but there's so much else for a new parent to know about and for docs to handle already...(of course, if they'd drop all the other unnecessary crap, they'd have more time, but that's another soapbox indeed!)

I can't tell you how many of my very well educated friends (several are doctors and lawyers, so far more "educated" in the conventional sense than I am!) had no idea. They aren't on line searching for info like I am--they trusted that the other professionals they ask for advice from would know! (and they should!)

Now, once they've been educated--then, I'm mad! I have a great friend who I've told all about ERF, keeping kids harnessed, etc. Her almost 4 yr old could still be rearfacing, let alone harnessed (her kids are petite!), but he's in a high back booster, b/c the "techs" at the seat check said that he was over 3 and 30 lbs, so he could! And these are CPSTs! After hearing that, I didn't even go to a check. It's not likely that she would lie about it, and both my sil and best friend did the check, too, and got the same type of info (like it was fine to ff at one year and sil's carseat install was fine--NOT!!!)

Change takes time, and even then some....I've been giving my Dad the spiel for 2 yrs, but he has still asked when he sees ds rearfacing why he can't forward face all the time now. He just sees it as being uncomfortable. LOL

henrietta

Morganthe

I wonder if it's just the age, though. DD has recently started providing a running commentary of what she sees when we're in the car. "I see trees! Big trees! They have green leaves! I see a bike! Two bikes! With kids!" etc. etc. etc. (And yes, she's usually "exclaiming" as she narrates.)

Trust me, it doesn't go away with time :rolleyes: DD was turned at 18 months, liked it too.... but it's been the last year where she was vocal and I have to remind her occasionally not to screetch or shriek when she sees the moon, an airplane, a tree, a dog, another car, a building as if each time is the first time she sees something like it. A Camry just doesn't give that much space to decrease volume ;)

I'm imagining how she'll be like the first time we get to sit on the road while sheep are driven around us. (sigh) I might keep some ear plugs handy for just in case.

djma

I get the "lady, you're crazy look" all the time as I'm loading my kids into the car! :p I can't tell tell if it's because of DS2 still being rf or if it's because DS1 isn't in just a seatbelt (which is the thing here).

But now, hopefully my KDM magnet will at least explain DS1....if only I could turn the "my toddler rides rf'ng" sticker into a magnet.......

thepote

I recently confiscated, er, traded someone a scenera for an old t-shield seat that had instructions to ff when the child's feet reached the seatback.

Their info was current and "in the manual" at one point. So maybe a "yes, you're right. That was the right thing to do in the recent past" type of response followed by some updated info would be more well received.

It's also good that they care about kids enough to bug other people with their [outdated] info. They don't know it's outdated, but feel as strongly as we do about keeping kids safe. Harness that energy :thumbsup:

luvmy2

I was so happy to see that the new Parenting magazine has a blurb about RF as long as possible :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was very happy to see that also! Another girl posted it on my Nov 07 birthclub, and I was ecstatic to see that.

Ughhh!!!! I know what you all mean! It is crazy! I wish people knew more about ERF and EH! I didn't know about it until logan was 26 months and michael was 4 1/2.

I just wish people knew more.

Wineaux

I think I'll be carrying the brochure from cpsafety.com to give out to people like that. I"m sure i can find room for in my diaper bag.

Susan
I need to d/l that one and get some copies made at VistaPrint for just such occasions myself.

anjii

I need to d/l that one and get some copies made at VistaPrint for just such occasions myself.

Where can I download that? I have some people in my life who need some SERIOUS carseat schooling, but if it comes from directly from me, they just write it off as another one of those things I go "overboard" on... (babywearing, cloth diapering, extended BFing, anti-CIO, etc......). They all think I'm a freak about all that crazy, non-mainstream stuff, so they just roll their eyes when I say anything beyond the "norm".

Wineaux

Go to http://www.cpsafety.com and you will find the link to the brochure. It's a PDF file. It's a great little 2-sided brochure that you can also print at home. It was created by one of the users here on this board, and she did a FANTASTIC job on it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC