MA install questions

nhlbluesgirl

I finally installed DD's MA, but I have a few questions. Is it ok to use a pool noodle on the side of the base to help level it? The seat leaned to the side because of the way the seat grooves are on the one side (see pic).

Can you tell me if the recline angle looks ok? Sorry the pics are bad, I had to use my cell phone. Also, I couldn't find a place to tether RF. I checked the vehicle manual, but it was no help. Any ideas on tethering RF in a 2004 Rendezvous? Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
No, you can't put noodles like that. I will grab my pics for RF tethering a post in a minute.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Slide through, where the vehicle seat bolts to the floor.
197arrow.jpg

1999HondaOdyssey.jpg

99HondaOdyssey.jpg

megabloxs

I agree, over reclined and no to the noodles. If the seat pulls to one side it may also be caused by the belts being done up with the lock offs on the seat, or having the seat belt in lock mode. To alter the tilt, try using the tether on the other side to where it currently it, do not use the lock off, or the locked belt. You can use a normal locking clip with the MA if needed. If is it caused by the seat, you may need to try another seating position.

CRS

Senior Community Member
You can use a normal locking clip with the MA if needed. If is it caused by the seat, you may need to try another seating position.

Genuine question, I didn't think Britax permitted the use of a locking clip with any of their seats? :confused: I think that's what I read any way...

singingpond

I agree, over reclined and no to the noodles. If the seat pulls to one side it may also be caused by the belts being done up with the lock offs on the seat, or having the seat belt in lock mode. To alter the tilt, try using the tether on the other side to where it currently it, do not use the lock off, or the locked belt. You can use a normal locking clip with the MA if needed. If is it caused by the seat, you may need to try another seating position.

As far as I know, this is not allowed with the Marathon or other related Britax seats. The OP said the tilt is due to the 'seat grooves' being different on one side; I assume this means something on the vehicle seat that is not symmetrical under the carseat base. In that case, perhaps other seating positions should be explored. If the tilt is exacerbated by tightness in a locking shoulder belt (OP, I'm not sure how you installed... if you used LATCH, all the seatbelt discussion is irrelevant anyway), then using the seat's built-in lockoffs instead may help. A little bit of sideways tilt is not a safety issue, so you could decide to live with it, if it's not enough to make your child sit uncomfortably. If the tilt is enough to be really annoying, and if it is caused by some irregularity of the vehicle seat, you (unfortunately) can't fix it by putting a leveler under the carseat base, as you show in your photo.

I agree that, according to your photo, the seat looks very reclined, and it will tend to get more reclined after you put on the RF tether. To install it somewhat more upright to begin with, just position the carseat base a bit forward of the vehicle seat bight to begin with, before you tighten up your seatbelt or LATCH strap. You may have to experiment a few times to get the recline you want (maybe start with approx. 1" out from the seat bight, and see how that looks when you tighten things up, then move in or out, depending on what angle you need for your child). Good luck! :)

Oh, and one other thought on the tilt issue. If the problem is caused by the vehicle seat under the carseat, then switching from a seatbelt install to a LATCH install, or vice versa, may be worth trying -- since the carseat base usually sits in a somewhat different position laterally (side-to-side) depending on which install method you choose, you may have a 'friendlier' surface under your carseat if you can shift it a few inches sideways by changing the install method. IIRC, your vehicle is a 2004, so I assume it has LATCH...

Katrin

littleangelfire

This would happen in my car somewhat, b/c the sides of my back seat are raised. I discovered there was actually a perfect spot - there's a little square that's indented in each of the outboard positions. The middle seat is a bump that raises on the inner sides of the outer positions, and the outer sides are raised to. \_/ A little like that, but of course, not so exaggerrated. So if I put the base of the MA exactly in that square it would work.

I've seen cars, too, where just the outside or inside of an outboard position is raised: \_ or _/ , if that's the case, you might try moving the MA over. A little move to the left or right shouldn't affect how the seatbelt goes through, but could make it fit right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC