Looking for a Harness Booster

Momof4cuties

Hi all. Looking for some advice from the experts :).

My almost 3 year old (just about 30lbs) is currently in a Graco Headwise65 (which I love), but I need to pass it down soon to my 11 month old (currently in a Click Connect). There are so many choices! Ideally, I want a seat with updated LATCH (I HATE those claw/hooks!) and one that can use LATCH in booster mode as well. This left me with the Britax Pioneer or the Evenflo SecureKid. Reviews on the SecureKid say that the straps are narrow and can dig into a child's neck. Britax is a great seat, but expensive.

The other 3 seats I found were the Harmony Defender, Evenflo Maestro and Graco Tranzitions, but they all have the old LATCH.

I don't mind spending the $ on the Pioneer, but only if that's the only choice. Also, his seat is currently in the 2nd row captains chair (passenger side) of my Odyssey, so obviously also looking for a seat that installs well in this vehicle.

Thanks!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I assume your 3-year-old is forward-facing?

I think those might be your least expensive options for combination seats with premium LATCH. The Britax Frontier and Pinnacle also have the nice LATCH connectors, but they're going to be more expensive than the Pioneer. The Recaro Performance Sport also has the premium connectors, but again, more expensive.

How often do you plan on moving the seat? I prefer the push-on connectors, too, but since I don't move seats very often, it's not a deal breaker for me. (Not saying it shouldn't be for you, either, just might be something to think about.)

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How often do you plan on moving the seat? I prefer the push-on connectors, too, but since I don't move seats very often, it's not a deal breaker for me. (Not saying it shouldn't be for you, either, just might be something to think about.)

This. Also keep in mind the the lower anchors in HARNESS mode have a max weight limit. It varies by seat, but generally speaking at some point you will need to switch to a seat belt install and discontinue using lower anchors.

(Note: Once you stop using the harness and switch to booster mode in a combination seat, and the seat mfg allows it, you may once again utilize lower anchors regardless of child/seat weight. At that point the lower anchors are only holding the SEAT in place and not the child, the adult seat belt is doing all the work at that point. Does not need to be a 'less than an inch of movement' install at that point.)

So I might suggest a seat that's easy to install with the seat belt, and you can just skip lower connectors all together until booster mode...which would mean a Graco Nautilus or Argos model with built in lockoffs could be added to your list. Both less expensive than some of the others we've mentioned that have the upgraded connectors.

Momof4cuties

Wow – thanks everyone for the replies.
I never considered an all-in-one seat since I already have the convertible and figured it would be passed down to the next child.

As far as the LATCH “claws” are concerned, right now I do move his seat often, and when I move it to the 3rd row I definitely get a tighter install with the LATCH. Having the premium LATCH is a big bonus in this case. I was thinking of moving him to the 3rd row when I get the new seat, (my 2 older kids have a hard time getting to the back even though we have a 7 seater and he is FF) so then it wouldn’t matter, and I could go with the Graco Tranzitions (which looks skinnier than both the Nautilus and the Argos). I know about the max limit for using LATCH in harness mode, but all my kids are always under the 15th percentile for weight so I didn’t think that would be an issue for a while.

Looks like a trip to BRU to see the Tranzitions is in our future. And if I can get there by the 29th, I can use my trade-in coupon :).

Thanks ladies!

Momof4cuties

So after comparing the Tranzitions and Pioneer side by side this morning, I ended up purchasing the Pioneer. I am sure the Tranzitions is completely safe, but he Poineer just felt sturdier and my gut said it was worth the extra money.

Thanks again for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC