Question Locking clip position check

Jeni-GAcpst

:(

I'm frustrated for you!
But don't look to us for help in refraining from buying a new seat. My personal philosophy is to try all the seats! ;-)

My honest opinions are:
Age 3.5 has a 25% probability of a gap in the C3 vertebra. We try to RF to age 4 to allow that vertebra to close. If you have to forward face a 3.5yo, I consider the increase in injury risk to be low. (I turned my daughter FFing at 3y7mo)
A 37lb 3.5yo has probably 6 months like you said before hitting 40lbs. If you want to sell the radian to fund a different seat that would allow RFing and then last a long time FFing, I don't think that's crazy. (I bought the radian at 3y4mo to keep my daughter RFing longer. I didn't know she'd hit the height limit in 3 months).

ADS

Dorothy

:(

I'm frustrated for you!
But don't look to us for help in refraining from buying a new seat. My personal philosophy is to try all the seats! ;-)

LOL! :D

My honest opinions are:
Age 3.5 has a 25% probability of a gap in the C3 vertebra. We try to RF to age 4 to allow that vertebra to close. If you have to forward face a 3.5yo, I consider the increase in injury risk to be low. (I turned my daughter FFing at 3y7mo)
A 37lb 3.5yo has probably 6 months like you said before hitting 40lbs. If you want to sell the radian to fund a different seat that would allow RFing and then last a long time FFing, I don't think that's crazy. (I bought the radian at 3y4mo to keep my daughter RFing longer. I didn't know she'd hit the height limit in 3 months).
Thank you for that info! I had wanted to make it through the winter with him rfing. I'll weigh him again and maybe go look at a few seats (I'm pretty sure I can find the Graco clones, Nextfit and SureRide locally).

Posted using the app. :)

Carolinadaisy

Weigh him before you go look at seats with a 40lb limit. I would weigh him with a full belly in winter weight clothes as well like jeans and a sweater. Shoes too if he usually wears them in the car. I'm not sure a 40lb rf limit is going to last for very long. At 3.5, I would be comfortable ff my own son and more than likely will as I expect he will be pretty close to the 40lb limit on our Nextfit. He is already 39" or a little more at just 2.5 as well! So glad I don't have a 40" rf limit seat now!

Dorothy

Weigh him before you go look at seats with a 40lb limit. I would weigh him with a full belly in winter weight clothes as well like jeans and a sweater. Shoes too if he usually wears them in the car. I'm not sure a 40lb rf limit is going to last for very long. At 3.5, I would be comfortable ff my own son and more than likely will as I expect he will be pretty close to the 40lb limit on our Nextfit. He is already 39" or a little more at just 2.5 as well! So glad I don't have a 40" rf limit seat now!

You've hit on the exact reason I think Peg or Foonf would be my only alternative to the Radian. With winter gear on (fleece, hat, boots and jeans) and a full tummy, I bet hes pushing 40#. :(

I don't know if anywhere local has either of those. I'll have to call BBB to check. I'm worried the Peg won't be tall enough and the Foonf will be too high up in my pickup. Anyone know how the Foonf would compare to the MR in terms of loading and unloading? DS is a big car sleeper, and he often transfers in and out without waking.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't know if anywhere local has either of those. I'll have to call BBB to check. I'm worried the Peg won't be tall enough and the Foonf will be too high up in my pickup. Anyone know how the Foonf would compare to the MR in terms of loading and unloading? DS is a big car sleeper, and he often transfers in and out without waking.

I just posted this thread that shows comparison pics. The Peg might surprise you for shell height/head clearance: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=255058

Why hasn't Diono put locking clips on the radian yet? Seriously!

You mean lock-offs, right? And yes. Wouldn't that be lovely!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I saw that and was very surprised by the Peg. I think there's a BBB south of me. I'm going yo call and see if the have the Peg and Foonf to just try them out.

If you find yourself doing that...wanna do up some pictures with your child to compare the Peg, Foonf, and Radian? And any other seat that strikes your fancy :) If the seat isn't installed while comparing make sure to tilt it to simulate an install angle to better compare.

Dorothy

If you find yourself doing that...wanna do up some pictures with your child to compare the Peg, Foonf, and Radian? And any other seat that strikes your fancy :) If the seat isn't installed while comparing make sure to tilt it to simulate an install angle to better compare.

I'll try my best!

ETA: BBB has the Foonf and Peg, but it is an hour away. :( Hopefully I can swing by on the way home from an appt downtown next week.

Last edited:

Dorothy

I talked to Diono today. They referred me to their Child Passenger Advocate. She suggested trying not to get it super-tight. Instead, she told me to try tightening it to just under 1" of movement. It seems very foreign to me, but worth a try!

Dorothy

No chance to get to BBB to see other seats this week. Also, the Radian still tips after a couple trips even when its not really tight. So, I was thinking of selling the Radian to fund another Pioneer 70. Then, DD fell asleep in her P70 three days in a row and had awful, noodle-y slump. I am so frustrated! After almost six years of carseat contentment (with a KF, then TF and MR), I am so thrown by not liking not one but both of the seats in my vehicle. Ugh! :( Any words of wisdom?

Sent using the app. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC