Limit to number of towels being used?

dimsumdaddy

While trying to figure out 3 across, I came up with this question:

Is there a limit to the number of towels one can use to get a good fit?

I tested out my mother in law's BMW 330 with 2 Radians and an infant carrier. The curvature of the rear seat makes 3 across impossible... unless I make liberal use of towels. With about 3-4 towels on the outboard seats, (and 1-2 for the center) I'm able to "even out" the seat for good installations. This, I consider was bit of an extreme case but I wanted to see if we were caught in a bind.

On the other hand, I'd imagine that those people having difficulty with cars like the center back of the Subaru Legacy, could use towels to raise the seat enough for good installations.

Furthermore, the towels can be used to help stagger like-seats that are adjacent to each other.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Tightly rolled towels or pool noodles can only be used in the seat bight to adjust the angle of recline. the limit would be anything that either reclines the carseat more than 45 degrees or lifts the back of the base off the vehicle seat at all.

Also, you cannot use rolled towels or pool noodles with radians at all. You are at the mercy of the rf foot they provide.

It sounds like most or all of your towels need to go.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I agree w/ crunchierthanthou... it sounds like they'd need to go.

Have you contacted a tech in your area for in-person help?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I know Britax also says the base needs to be level with the ground...you can put towels in there to fill the gap (since the vehicle seat cushion will be at an incline), but you can't make the base tip back at all (and that seems like a sensible rule that if others don't have, they should...)

Though in theory, I know what you're talking about...I've found one towel or noodle has made adjacent buckles reachable that were completely useless before the noodle was there.

dimsumdaddy

Tightly rolled towels or pool noodles can only be used in the seat bight to adjust the angle of recline. the limit would be anything that either reclines the carseat more than 45 degrees or lifts the back of the base off the vehicle seat at all.

Also, you cannot use rolled towels or pool noodles with radians at all. You are at the mercy of the rf foot they provide.

It sounds like most or all of your towels need to go.

What abour forward facing?

dimsumdaddy

You shouldn't use towels EVER for FF, with any seat (except as Jools describes w/ the Britax seats.)

Well I guess that kills the original post.

Currently, I have a single towel laid out open and flat across the entire seat to protect the seat fabric; much like those "seat protector mats" you can buy (and my wife has to protect her leather).

Does that mean that technically the seat protectors are "incorrect installation"?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
It is acceptable to use a thin, *single* layer of towel or shelf liner under/behind a carseat.

But beyond that, yes, it would be an incorrect installation.

ETA: Your post made me think you were rolling them and using them behind the seat to fill a gap or something, and that is not an acceptable use.

crunchierthanthou

Well I guess that kills the original post.

Currently, I have a single towel laid out open and flat across the entire seat to protect the seat fabric; much like those "seat protector mats" you can buy (and my wife has to protect her leather).

Does that mean that technically the seat protectors are "incorrect installation"?

I missed that you were installing ff. Did you try lowering the ff recline foot on the radian? It only moves about an inch, but helps stablilize installations on contoured seats. Also, push down into the vehicle seat as you're tightening the belt, rather than back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC