Lightweight strollers that recline?

Shaunam

I don't know *anything* about strollers, so please bear with me. I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists.

I sold DD's graco quattro because I couldn't fit it in the trunk of my "new" car (it's actually a very old hand-me-down). We have a medical stroller for her, but it's even bigger than the graco. It's great for walks and we do manage to load it up in the backseat for trips to the hospital and stuff, but it's not a good everyday stroller.

I need something I can just toss in the trunk and go.

It doesn't have to be tiny, but it does have to be smaller than the graco which BARELY didn't fit in my trunk.

I need it to recline for her, obviously. It can't be a standard umbrella type stroller for 6 months and up because of her lack of head and torso control.

I need the back of it to be fairly tall because she needs the support behind her head. So maybe something like the strollers that are meant to fit 5 and 6 year olds?

Anything like this exist? I might be able to convince medicaid she needs something smaller but they really don't like to pay for more than one. I got the one we have because it has the support she needs, but I didn't realize it wasn't practical for everyday use. :eek: Works great otherwise.

ADS

Holly

Does it have to recline flat or just recline somewhat?

I've been looking all over online to find a lightweight stroller that can recline and has a basket and or tray or basically just nicer than an umbrella stroller but is still light and can fold up relatively small.

Anyway, I found the Graco Literider, Kolcraft Jeep something or other (I'll try to get some links in a minute, but it's on the walmart website under lightweight strollers), Kolcraft countours lite plus (Right now I'm thinking that is the stroller I want if I can find it on sale somewhere), baby trend something or other that is blue and silver also on the walmart website (yes, I'm very descriptive, I know, sorry!) Combi strollers, not sure what the models are called and they are pretty pricy too.

I'm hoping I can find something used because I don't want to spend much, but I'd love the Kolcraft lite plus or a Graco Literider.

lovinwaves

All of the Baby Joggers have tall seatbacks. Baby Jogger actually has a special needs division called "Advance Mobility." Here you can check it out: http://www.advancemobility.org/

But, at Charlie's size, really, one of their regular strollers would work.

How much of a recline are you needing? The BJ's will recline completely flat, or you could go with their new Micro Stroller (cheaper price point), but it has a limited two position reclining seat. That might just be enough for C.

They still have a stroller on their site for $100 on closeout. It's called the C-series. I don't know much about it though. It still has the great BJ fold, so it might fit in your car, and it has a 75lb weight limit. http://www.babyjogger.com/c-31-Accessories.aspx#closeouts (Scroll all the way to bottom)

lovinwaves

Shauna if you want to link me to your Craigslist, I can see if I see anything good on there that might work.

There are other brand of strollers that would fit your needs, but budget would be helpful.

Another thing you could do, is post on strollerswap on yahoo groups, and ask if anyone has a stroller on there to fit your needs. They would also be tons more helpful in helping you find a stroller that will fit C.

Here is a link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

crunchierthanthou

Chicco Liteway? I don't know if it's a flat recline, but it looks pretty good.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ODAHF0/ref=asc_df_B001ODAHF0873488?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001ODAHF0"]Amazon.com: Chicco Liteway Stroller - Fuego: Baby[/ame]

I love the Baby Joggers, but that might be overkill given that you already have a medical one. Or take the excellent advice Lovin gave me, find a P3 on craigslist. :love:

SillyLily

Chicco Liteway? I don't know if it's a flat recline, but it looks pretty good.

Amazon.com: Chicco Liteway Stroller - Fuego: Baby

I love the Baby Joggers, but that might be overkill given that you already have a medical one. Or take the excellent advice Lovin gave me, find a P3 on craigslist. :love:

I was also going to recommend the Chicco Liteway. I've seen it on ebay for less than $100 before.

If you are looking to spend less than that, I would start looking on your local craigslist and then just come back here to ask about any specific stroller. I've seen the Britax Preview on craigslist go for less than $50, and it would work for you (reclines almost completely flat, small umbrella-like fold, back should be tall enough to support her head).

Shaunam

It doesn't have to recline flat, although that wouldn't hurt. ;) I'm going to call her case manager in the am and see if we even qualify for a piece of equipment like that. I've seen some very nice, lightweight medical strollers. It never occurred to me to look at them because they are generally for kids who don't need a lot of support. But so are regular strollers. I saw the chicco liteway and like that so if we don't qualify, I guess we;ll take another trip to babies'r'us. :D

BananaBoat

It doesn't have to recline flat, although that wouldn't hurt. ;) I'm going to call her case manager in the am and see if we even qualify for a piece of equipment like that. I've seen some very nice, lightweight medical strollers. It never occurred to me to look at them because they are generally for kids who don't need a lot of support. But so are regular strollers. I saw the chicco liteway and like that so if we don't qualify, I guess we;ll take another trip to babies'r'us. :D

I have the Chicco Liteway in Feugo that I used for 1 week and really liked...then I got the Quinny Zapp and don't really use the Chicco. If you are interested, PM me, as DH would love to free up some storage space! :rolleyes:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I have a babytrend jogger like this one
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Expedition-Jogging-Stroller/dp/B000BMKDZY"]Amazon.com: Baby Trend Expedition Jogging Stroller: Baby[/ame]
I'd be willing to give you..it lays almost flat, I think, when reclined. I completely failed to remember i don't jog when i got it, LOL!

MelissaDmom2i2g

Baby Jogger is the best pick as far as quality goes, the city mini has almost a full recline and with the wonderful fold it is great for small storage spaces, it actually fit in the stow N go compartments in mini van's just to give you an idea of how compact it is. This is going to run you about $229 shipped but will last up to 50 lbs, if you are looking for something that will last longer the City Classic and City Elite allow up to 75 lbs but this will run you any where between $300 for the classic and $449 for the Elite - both are well worth it though.

Another good choice is the Chicco Trevi, this has a full recline, is lite weight, has a cup holder for both mom and baby and right now can be found on many sites for around $100 NIB.

There is always the staple Maclaren - they last a lifetime (I've had mine for 6 yrs and it is still going strong) it has a partial recline but my at the time 6 month old even felt comfortable enough to doze in it. It has one of the smallest fold and can handle a child up to 55 lbs. My 6 yr old still sits in it from time to time when I am carrying the baby on my back and it's no problem to push. - this was the stroller I used when we would all pile into my VW Bug - it fit perfectly in the trunk.

The Trevi is not much bigger so it may give you all you need with the full recline & lite weight.

BRU should have both the Mac and the Trevi in stock so you can check them out in the store. Plus you should be able to find either on Craigslist, they both really last a long time so you can always find used one's between $60 & $100.

HTH,

MelissaD

Shaunam

Well, problem solved for now! I was driving home today and saw a yard sale 3 houses down from me with 4 strollers. So I walked over there with DD and looked around. The lady came to talk to me and she was just ga-ga over DD. I told her what I was looking for and I had my eye in the lightweight looking graco, but they were only selling it with the bucket too. As much as I'd like to destroy an old seat and two bases, I didn't have $25 on me. So I looked at the older, less attractive graco. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just OLD. Probably at least 6 years. I put DD in it and it reclines nicely and folds down small. She let me just have it! Whoo-hoo!

So the younger lady comes over and I thought she looked familiar. She asked about DD and we were just talking. After about 3 minutes she told me I looked familiar and we discovered we went to the same high school and graduated a year apart. I'm hoping to befriend her because I'm a little scared by her car seat situation. She was selling a cosco combo seat and I peeked in her van and only saw one turbo booster. She said her son just turned 3 and her DD looked maybe 4. Both are TINY. I don't know why she'd be selling a seat they would both still fit in. Hmm....

So thanks for the advice and offers! If I find out we can't get another medical stroller, I will be looking for something a little more durable and long-term.

LOVE the Graco Ipo...best quality umbrella stroller I have used yet. I would choose it over a Maclaren any day. Great price too! It is so sturdy and has a great recline.

Shaunam

Ok so what is bigger than this stroller?

0813091527b.jpg

She's so freaking big already! I knew she was starting to get close to the top of the quattro, and her legs were starting to dangle...I think this one's seating area is about the same size and she's already about reached the max for HER (I know other kids would fit longer). It will work for a little while but geez...she's so long!

It fits nicely in my trunk...we just need a longer seating area, if that makes sense?

RubysGirl

I have a chico tuscany, and it's okay, I think it would meat your needs, but I think there's better out there. (The tuscany is one of the first ones they had here, it retailed around $70 five years ago.)
It folds like an umbrella stroller, but it's bulkyer over all, folded. (Not to mention the awkward shape when folded) I know peg used to make a stroller that folded up great, like a perfect freestanding rectangle, about 3' tall by 8" by 5" or there abouts. It was a full sized stroller and I think it would meet your needs better. I'm inclined to think it's the pliko and they still make it, but I'm not sure. A customer had it in my store once about ten years ago, she was just carrying it since her child was walking with her husband and our store was small.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC