Lifesavers Triumph Update

CandCfam

DITTO!! I will be there next year. :D

And this new Triumph sounds truly wonderful!!! 18 inch top slots, 3" higher seat shell, 50 pound weight limit--woohoo! They *could* conceivably up the RF weight limit, too--but at least now with the taller seat shell kids have a great chance of making it to the full 30 pounds RF!

Are they not going to up the RF weight limit? That'll be bogus if they don't. :(

Awesome news about the taller shell and heavier FF weight limit.

ADS

CandCfam

I actually didn't mind the knobs when we had this seat.
I did not like that the recline couldn't be reduced in RF mode, that's the main reason why we got McKenzie her Marathon. She was a PEANUT, and still fit in the seat RF at 21 months old.:rolleyes:

southpawboston

our problem with the knobs is that they push back into the vehicle's seatback when RF. it makes them very difficult to operate. in MIL's CRV, this wasn't a problem at all, so it obviously isn't a problem for everyone.

we found the recline angle RF to be pretty good...it's about 30 degrees. how can you reduce the angle in other RF carseats? i thought all convertibles require the seat to be in ONE position only (recline).

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
That sounds great!!! The manufacturers are finally "getting it"! Any news from Graco????? (about the Safeseat2 going to 50 lbs also)

Someone on another board posted that the SS2 couldn't pass the 50lbs...so as of now, it stays 40lbs.

CandCfam

our problem with the knobs is that they push back into the vehicle's seatback when RF. it makes them very difficult to operate. in MIL's CRV, this wasn't a problem at all, so it obviously isn't a problem for everyone.

we found the recline angle RF to be pretty good...it's about 30 degrees. how can you reduce the angle in other RF carseats? i thought all convertibles require the seat to be in ONE position only (recline).

Well, with the Marathon, you don't have to use the Recline mode if you don't want, but even with using that, you can reduce the angle of recline by how you install it and utilizing the tether.

With the Triumph, you MUST use the full recline mode and, if I remember correctly, it was in the manual that it must be installed with a 45 degree angle. At nearly 2, McKenzie didn't like being reclined that much.

I'll see if I still have my PDF copy of it, it's been 3 years almost since I last looked at it.

CandCfam

Yeah, I don't have the PDF of the Triumph user manual any longer, so someone else will have to correct me if I am wrong on the necessity of the full 45 degree recline in it.

southpawboston

With the Triumph, you MUST use the full recline mode and, if I remember correctly, it was in the manual that it must be installed with a 45 degree angle.

i have the PDF version of the manual. it is not stated ANYWHERE about a recline angle... at all. the word "angle", "degree", or number "45" are not found anywhere in the document. also there is nothing about the carseat being at least an inch away from the front vehicle seat.

here are some RF-related excerpts from the manual:

The most reclined position is ONLY for rear-facing AND the child must weigh 5 – 30 lbs (2.3 – 13.6 kg). In some vehicles, it may be necessary to place a tightly rolled towel or small blanket beneath the front edge of the child restraint to provide enough recline for an infant’s head to lie back comfortably.
:confused: nothing about a 45 degree (or less) angle.

here are the detailed steps for RF installation (via seatbelt):

(1)
Infants must always ride facing the rear of the vehicle; the back of the child restraint supports and protects the baby and absorbs crash forces. Adjust the child restraint to the full recline position. Place the child restraint in your vehicle rear-facing.

(2)
Make sure that the harness straps are in one of the two lower harness positions. The harness straps MUST start at or below shoulder height, using the strap slots closest to your child’s shoulders, as shown.

(3)
Route the vehicle seat belt through the rear-facing belt
path, continue through the opposite opening of the child restraint. Fasten the vehicle seat belt as shown depending on your type of seat belt.

(4)
The seat belt must be as tight as possible. Put your full weight into the child restraint as you tighten the seat belt. If you can move the child restraint more than 1 inch (25 mm) forward or side-to-side at the belt path, the seat belt is not tight enough, and you need to try again. After your vehicle seat belts are fastened, hook the seat pad back into place.

(5)
Using the Locking Clip: Use a locking clip with lap/shoulder seat belt combinations that have a buckle tongue that slides freely along the belt without locking place. Remove locking clip from vehicle seat belt when not
used with a child restraint, or the vehicle seat belt will not properly restrain an adult or child. Serious injury could occur.
WARNING
Note: You may need to use a locking clip with some shoulder/lap belt combinations. Using your full weight press down on the child restraint (as shown in step 4) as you tighten the seat belt. Then, hold the lap and shoulder belts together just behind the free sliding buckle tongue F. Unfasten the seat belt. Thread the locking clip onto the seat belt, and slide it into place. Re-buckle the seat belt. Locking clip must be placed within 1/2” (13 mm) of seat belt buckle.

(6)
Check your work. Make certain the belts are tight.
If you can move the child restraint more than 1 inch (25 mm) forward or side-to-side at the belt path, the belts are not tight enough. If you have not tightly secured the child restraint, try again or move it to another location.

Brycen'sMommy

Only the Evenflo infant seats need 1.5" of space. I have read the Tribute, Titan and Triumph manuals and there was nothing stated about space between the front seat and the shell.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Sigh...if only it could tether RF...I'm spoiled w/ the Britax and don't feel safe without the tether!

southpawboston

Sigh...if only it could tether RF...I'm spoiled w/ the Britax and don't feel safe without the tether!

and the thing is, it doesn't seem that RF tethering really does that much in terms of enhancing the overall safety of the child, compared with other aspects of protection already provided by the carseat. but i know what you mean... it's like for me, i wouldn't feel safe without true SIP, even though i know that it doesn't probably contribute too much to the overall protection.

scatterbunny

Only Evenflo infant seats require 1.5" of clearance between the handle and the front seat(s). Convertibles do not.

It sounds like you can use other recline positions besides the most reclined with the Triumph, based on the portions of the manual quoted.

I wonder if Evenflo will ever clarify their position on airbags? The manuals make it sound like they cannot be placed next to any airbags, even side airbags. Someone said that Evenflo was supposed to be updating the manual to remove that statement, but I don't know that it's happened yet.

CarSeatPoncho

Great news about the weight limits and taller harness slots! We all loved our Triumph and would have loved to stay in it longer, but glad that future kiddos can ride safer longer.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
On the recline indicator of our Triumph, it shows that you can use more than one recline position for RF.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yesterday the Evenflo representative revealed that the Triumph will be updated to 50lbs and have a top harness height of 18 inches, adding 3 inches overall to the top of the shell. This will be shown on www.safetymadeeasier.com site on April 13th.
I will attach pictures of just the shell tomorrow (they wouldn't show us where the harness heights would be but did say the top one would measure 18 inches).
Jen

WOW!!! That's cool!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

It is too bad that it is still going to have those damn knob adjusters. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC