Life Jackets for Little Ones...

ADS

ctbcleveland

We had the most wonderful infant jacket for DD. I'll find you a link and add it. It was small and comfy enough that she could walk and sit, but had the head pillow and would flip her to her back. Off to search since it isn't exactly like any of the ones already linked.

Hhere is what we have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200468952091

Love it for little ones.

Thanks! - I saw this one at Wal-Mart - but they only had a girly pattern. It looks perfect for a little peanut!

leighi123

We have one like FLmom posted, only its made from wet-suit sorta fabric on the outside and is less bulky b/c of the fabric I guess. Its rated up to 30lbs, and I got it at costco.

We only use it for boating, it fit ds fine last summer when he was under 20lbs, and fits him now at 24lbs. It also fit his friend who is 3 and 35lbs (I know over the weight limit but he was just in our pool w/ mom holding onto him, still seemed to float just fine!)

Momof4Girls

We own 2 puddle jumpers...bought for my (then) 3 y/o and just 2 y/o...for pool use (just to make handling 4 kids in the water easier...and this year, 5). My 2 y/o (will be 3 in July) has tremendous mobility in it. It is pulled all the way tight on her back, and it stays where it's supposed to stay. It fits her shockingly well, and has for the last year (since we got it...I guess more like 9mos?). She is a little over 35" tall and weighs about 25lbs, with an 90%+ HC (all my kids have giant noggins), to give you an idea of her size. She's been 23-25lbs for the last year or so, so she's not radically bigger now than she was then. The puddle jumper, if she's not careful, can still force her onto her back (and she has difficulty rolling back over so she can more actively swim). If she's relatively vertical, and does something to lose her balance (so to speak) and she falls, the default is to her back.

My ds is 8mos, weighs about 18lbs and has an 18" chest circumference. I have not yet tried the puddle jumper on him, but I could, see how it fits.

My now 4 y/o wore it, this year, over a wet suit, and I had to loosen it off the tightest it could go in order to accommodate the wet suit (she needs it for thermal regulation). I think the wet suit limited her mobility more than the puddle jumper!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We have a bunch of life jackets that we've purchased at Sams or Costco over the years for $20-25 each. We only buy Neoprene ones, as they seem to be a higher quality and fit and wear better than the ones we've seen at other shops. They're Type II. I wouldn't put an infant in anything less than a type II, and even then that doesn't seem good enough for my babies.

rodentranger

Unless your son has very, very, very poor neck control, I wouldn't worry too much. A life jacket is a specific kind of pfd (or so I was always taught). A life jacket flips a person onto their back. This means that the surface tension of the water holds the head up, more than the flappy thing--a lot of life jackets lack the flappy thing. Unless your son has the worst neck control ever or enjoys forcing his head back, I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of flappy thing. Just my personal :twocents: .

I insist on Type II with the head support for my 3 yo! If they are unconscious for any reason, I want their faces out of the water! I also like the handle on it for grabbing them, or pulling them along with me while I swim. We have a small boat that we use on a small lake regularly. I have a Lil Mustang up to 30 lbs for YDS, and a Stearns 30-50 lbs Type II for ODS.

FLmom

013.jpg

012.jpg

How come you didn't have his crotch strap where it belongs? That is almost as important as having a proper harness in the carseat.

You really do want a vest like this for your infant.

http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Infants-Heads-Upreg-Life-Vest-P1675C26.aspx

I also would not buy a used life vest, for the same reason I wouldn't buy a used carseat.

http://www.stearnsflotation.com/classifications.aspx

pfd classifications

Sorry I've been away from the computer all day and am just getting around to seeing this.

Bolding is mine. We didn't put the crotch strap on because we were simply trying it out for fit. As you can see we were not in a boat or in open water...or even the main part of the pool for that matter lol AND my husband was right.there. I've seen lots of pictures where children were simply sitting in their car seats unbuckled to show fit or shell height or leg room, etc. However you are correct, it should NOT be used like this when really in use.

tanusscott22

Hi I just wanted to add my opinion to this post. I've been a certified lifeguard for the last 10 years, a sailor (sail boats..my parents took a trip from the tip of Lake Superior out to the ocean and down to FL once) my whole life, and have complete the United States Power Boat Squadron Safety Course. A long story short I have boating experience.

Please Please Please Please buy a proper life jacket for you little guy. He NEEDS to be in an infant lifejacket. This is one that has a weight range from 0-30 pounds, has a crotch strap, and a head support. NO other life jacket is appropriate for your little guy regardless of him being a late bloomer or not. The head flap serves two purposes and neither has to do with head control. The flap will aid in turning your little one face up in the water if he falls in, and also keep the majority of his head out of the water until help arrives to scoop him out of the lake. [/B Keeping his head out of the water will help reduce panic and help prevent him from swallowing water. Who ever posted their :twocents: about not needing the head flap is incorrect. The head flap is needed on life jackets until a child is able to turn themselves face up unassisted.

I wouldn't be too worried about the jacket being bulky. The only time my little guy gets crabby in his life jacket is if we put him in a reclined seat while wearing it. The head flap prevents him from comfortably resting his head. I'm sure on the pontoon that someone will be holding him though.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I can give you my phone number. :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hi! And thank you for the input. I was actually raised around boats my whole life, too, and on a river. My father was also coast guard certified and part of the coast guard reserves as a younger man;)

Also, this topic comes up every spring/summer season, as babies are born, and babies get bigger. There are many people here that are just as educated about water safety as they are car safety:love: That is why I love it here!

And, welcome to the forum!

ctbcleveland

Hi I just wanted to add my opinion to this post. I've been a certified lifeguard for the last 10 years, a sailor (sail boats..my parents took a trip from the tip of Lake Superior out to the ocean and down to FL once) my whole life, and have complete the United States Power Boat Squadron Safety Course. A long story short I have boating experience.

Please Please Please Please buy a proper life jacket for you little guy. He NEEDS to be in an infant lifejacket. This is one that has a weight range from 0-30 pounds, has a crotch strap, and a head support. NO other life jacket is appropriate for your little guy regardless of him being a late bloomer or not. The head flap serves two purposes and neither has to do with head control. The flap will aid in turning your little one face up in the water if he falls in, and also keep the majority of his head out of the water until help arrives to scoop him out of the lake. [/B Keeping his head out of the water will help reduce panic and help prevent him from swallowing water. Who ever posted their :twocents: about not needing the head flap is incorrect. The head flap is needed on life jackets until a child is able to turn themselves face up unassisted.

I wouldn't be too worried about the jacket being bulky. The only time my little guy gets crabby in his life jacket is if we put him in a reclined seat while wearing it. The head flap prevents him from comfortably resting his head. I'm sure on the pontoon that someone will be holding him though.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I can give you my phone number. :)

What a very kind and generous offer!

We actually got the one below.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Infant-Hydroprene-Vest-Turtle/13848777

I was very happy with it. There were several zippers to secure it on the child.

Unfortunately, it was the second one we bought. The first one was too small even though he had five pounds to go within the weight range (Scorcher "On the Edge" Infant Life Vest). I wish they had one that was more like 20-40 lbs because I know he won't fit in it next summer.

o_mom

We own 2 puddle jumpers...bought for my (then) 3 y/o and just 2 y/o...for pool use (just to make handling 4 kids in the water easier...and this year, 5). My 2 y/o (will be 3 in July) has tremendous mobility in it. It is pulled all the way tight on her back, and it stays where it's supposed to stay. It fits her shockingly well, and has for the last year (since we got it...I guess more like 9mos?). She is a little over 35" tall and weighs about 25lbs, with an 90%+ HC (all my kids have giant noggins), to give you an idea of her size. She's been 23-25lbs for the last year or so, so she's not radically bigger now than she was then.

Since this thread got bumped, I'll add my :twocents: here.

We tried the PJ on my just turned 3 yo last week and it was a fail here. He is 37 inches and 30 lbs, so at the low end of the weight range for the PJs. I had it as tight as possible and it would keep slipping down on him. I think the biggest issue was that his arms were too skinny so they did not fit tight enough to stay up and would fall down by his elbows.

We ended up switching to a full-suit style lifejacket for pool use (he doesn't actually get in as he is scared of the water, just sits on the edge and splashes - this is in case he falls in) and will use an infant vest with crotch strap and headflap for lake and boat use. My 5 yo used one last year at 4 with no issues, so I think another year and he will be fine in it.

Anyway, so if anyone is considering one, check the fit for younger/smaller kids. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC