Legs over side in Radian

Mingie

CPST Instructor
So I am trying to make a final decision on what to replace my 2.5 y.o. dd's MA with in our 2005 Hyundai Tuscan. She is about 27-28lbs and has been holding steady for about 7 or 8 mos at that weight. She seems to have just finished a growth spurt and didn't gain any weight. I notice her pants are getting shorter so I think her legs are starting to grow and maybe her torso height is going to slow now? My dh and I are both tall but we both have longer than average legs with average torsos. Both my dds are following suit.

I have tried our Radian rfing in the Tuscon and it installs beautifully and nice and upright rfing. But she does hang her legs over the side and there isn't much room between her legs and the door itslf. This bothers me. I worry about her leg in a side impact collision. I don't worry about it our captain chair of the van since there is so much space in between. Would this deter you from buying another radian? Or would you choose something with deeper sides for this vehicle?

Last edited:
ADS

HayleyCPST

I have tried our Radian rfing in the Tuscan and it installs beautifully and nice and upright rfing. But she does hang her legs over the side and there isn't much room between her legs and the door itself. This bothers me. I worry about her leg in a side impact collision. I don't worry about it our captain chair of the van since there is so much space in between. Would this deter you from buying another radian? Or would you choose something with deeper sides for this vehicle?

It wouldn't deter me in the least. Does the radian install successfully in the center position? It's statistically 30% less likely that she will be injured. If not, then the outboard position will be just fine.

She's still young, light and very vulnerable. She'd benefit 1000X more (I'm exaggerating) from being rear facing (and possibly breaking a leg during a side impact collision) than being forward facing (and possibly having spinal damage). Keep in mind that side impact collisions are not as common as frontal, but they are the most fatal.

Every car seat offers side impact protection. Since the US does not require car seats to be side impact tested, there is no way for us to compare the results and offer you the "best" one for side impact. All we can say is that the "best" one is the one that you can install and use correctly every time and one that fits your budget. Other than that, they are all essentially the same for SIP from our standpoint.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
It wouldn't deter me in the least. Does the radian install successfully in the center position? It's statistically 30% less likely that she will be injured. If not, then the outboard position will be just fine.

She's still young, light and very vulnerable. She'd benefit 1000X more (I'm exaggerating) from being rear facing (and possibly breaking a leg during a side impact collision) than being forward facing (and possibly having spinal damage). Keep in mind that side impact collisions are not as common as frontal, but they are the most fatal.

Every car seat offers side impact protection. Since the US does not require car seats to be side impact tested, there is no way for us to compare the results and offer you the "best" one for side impact. All we can say is that the "best" one is the one that you can install and use correctly every time and one that fits your budget. Other than that, they are all essentially the same for SIP from our standpoint.

No worries, I know all about rfing being safer.;) I am not considering turning her forward at all. I should have made that clear in my original post. Just trying to figure out if I get another radian for our other vehicle.

I have two dds and can not put the seats side by side in the Tuscan due to the ergonomics of the back seat. My older dd(5 this weekend) is in a Nautilus in that vehicle. So they will have to go outboard in that vehicle.

HayleyCPST

No worries, I know all about rfing being safer.;) I am not considering turning her forward at all. I should have made that clear in my original post. Just trying to figure out if I get another radian for our other vehicle.

I have two dds and can not put the seats side by side in the Tuscan due to the ergonomics of the back seat. My older dd(5 this weekend) is in a Nautilus in that vehicle. So they will have to go outboard in that vehicle.

OK I see. Is there a reason why you want to replace the MA in your husbands car? if It's a 33lb-er, she still has a ways. If you used it for your older child, it might be close to expiring.
You might want to consider waiting a bit until she's close to the limit before buying a new one. It doesn't really matter though, just don't feel like you have to buy a new one! :)

Since the Radian works outboard in the Tuscon, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't buy it. Most people cross it off their list because it will not install nicely.
Other options are: Evenflo Triumph65, Graco myride, complete air65, true fit (only RF to 35).

What slot is she on in the Radian?

dogmelissa

A line that you probably already know comes to mind:
Broken leg - cast it
Broken neck - casket

I wouldn't worry about her leg being over the side. Chances are she'd do it in any other seat anyhow.

Melissa

Mingie

CPST Instructor
OK I see. Is there a reason why you want to replace the MA in your husbands car? if It's a 33lb-er, she still has a ways. If you used it for your older child, it might be close to expiring.
You might want to consider waiting a bit until she's close to the limit before buying a new one. It doesn't really matter though, just don't feel like you have to buy a new one! :)

Since the Radian works outboard in the Tuscon, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't buy it. Most people cross it off their list because it will not install nicely.
Other options are: Evenflo Triumph65, Graco myride, complete air65, true fit (only RF to 35).

What slot is she on in the Radian?

No 33lb rfing MA here in Canada.:( It is 30lbs rfing here. The seat is 3 yrs old and at the time I purchased it, we didn't have much in the way of rfing seats past 30lbs.

The evenflo Triumph 65 is a 30lb rfing seat here. I have tried the MR and just don't love it but it is still on my list. DD despises the CA. Not sure why but she begs to be removed from it when we try it. And the TF has been out of stock here so I have to order it. The closest BRU is 90 minutes from me.
I did try the new MA recently and dd has about 3 inches over her head. I do have the RN in my dh's car right now and I have to be careful when I close the door not to bang her leg. I also know dh finds the harness on the RN hard to adjust. DD is on the third slot right now. Her torso height is about 13.5-14 inches. I might go out now and see if I can move it slightly towards the middle.

Last edited:

Mingie

CPST Instructor
A line that you probably already know comes to mind:
Broken leg - cast it
Broken neck - casket

I wouldn't worry about her leg being over the side. Chances are she'd do it in any other seat anyhow.

Melissa

Well dd does not put her legs over the side of the MA. She just can't do it with the seat and her size. I just wonder what if.

selinajean

As a mom I see where your concern is coming from. If there is another seat that fits well in there that she likes, I would go with that. But it sounds like a lot of the other options have been ruled out.

I hate to say her leg is of little concern, because I know that you want to protect every little piece of her. Honestly though, if the Radian is going to be your best RF option, then go with it and be confident that her back, spine, head and vital organs are contained in the shell and as safe as can be.
You would just remind her to keep her leg up when you are closing the door, the same way that I tell my son to keep his fingers away. (FWIW, my son still hangs his legs over the side of his True Fit and it has high sides in my opinion.) You could also try wedging a pillow or something beside the seat so it discourages putting her leg there. Maybe she can bend that knee and cross that leg, and then drape the other one.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
As a mom I see where your concern is coming from. If there is another seat that fits well in there that she likes, I would go with that. But it sounds like a lot of the other options have been ruled out.

I hate to say her leg is of little concern, because I know that you want to protect every little piece of her. Honestly though, if the Radian is going to be your best RF option, then go with it and be confident that her back, spine, head and vital organs are contained in the shell and as safe as can be.
You would just remind her to keep her leg up when you are closing the door, the same way that I tell my son to keep his fingers away. (FWIW, my son still hangs his legs over the side of his True Fit and it has high sides in my opinion.) You could also try wedging a pillow or something beside the seat so it discourages putting her leg there. Maybe she can bend that knee and cross that leg, and then drape the other one.

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I just went out and installed it with latch again. It was installed with the seat belt as I just got a new latch strap and stickers for it. I was able to move it a bit more away from the door. And it is really nice and upright like dd likes. It sure installs nicely in this vehicle. I think I may just end up with another radian and ask her to keep her legs in.

selinajean

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. I just went out and installed it with latch again. It was installed with the seat belt as I just got a new latch strap and stickers for it. I was able to move it a bit more away from the door. And it is really nice and upright like dd likes. It sure installs nicely in this vehicle. I think I may just end up with another radian and ask her to keep her legs in.

I just had a thought. If you install with the UAS, the seat belt is free. What about those pillows that are marketed as sleep pillows for kids in the car? They have a piece that the seat belt feeds through to keep it from falling down. This may be a good use for it. You could attach it to the belt, near the seat bite, just beside the radian. It will give that pillow blockage and the design will keep it from falling out every time that you open the door.

skaterbabs

In a crash her legs will most likely go up, out of the way of the door. If the Radian fills all your other needs, I wouldn't let this cause you to go with a seat that doesn't meet your needs as well. On the other hand, if there is another seat that would work just as well (I'm not familiar with your particular situation) this could certainly be the deciding factor between two otherwise equal choices. :twocents:

erikanohelani

I have been through a side impact accident, my side doors were crushed. My son was on the side of impact (passenger side) in a FPSVD. He was not injured at all.

After the accident I bought him a Radian. I began to have the same concerns about his legs hanging over the sides. I just install his seat in the center.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I just had a thought. If you install with the UAS, the seat belt is free. What about those pillows that are marketed as sleep pillows for kids in the car? They have a piece that the seat belt feeds through to keep it from falling down. This may be a good use for it. You could attach it to the belt, near the seat bite, just beside the radian. It will give that pillow blockage and the design will keep it from falling out every time that you open the door.

I will have too keep my eye out for this. It may just work! Thank you for you thoughts.

dingohate

I worry about this too. My son likes to straddle his seat in the same manner, but my DD is in the center position as she's 18m younger. If the TFP would RF to 40lbs I'd replace my radian with that in a heartbeat. Broken leg is one thing, but I'm not worried about broken bones so much as I am about it being totally crushed/severed (WHY, why do I think of these things!?!? lol)

I'm keeping my FX that I see a higher RFing limit TF soon :)

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I worry about this too. My son likes to straddle his seat in the same manner, but my DD is in the center position as she's 18m younger. If the TFP would RF to 40lbs I'd replace my radian with that in a heartbeat. Broken leg is one thing, but I'm not worried about broken bones so much as I am about it being totally crushed/severed (WHY, why do I think of these things!?!? lol)

I'm keeping my FX that I see a higher RFing limit TF soon :)

I am pretty sure I would get the TFP in a heartbeat if it rf'd to 40lbs also. I haven't discounted it though. I think dd might make it to almost 4 rfing in it. I wish I could just look into my magic ball and look forward to that point so I could make a final decision!!

HayleyCPST

A trick to tightening the radian better is to pull the slack from the back of the seat ( where you change the harness) and the pull on the adjuster.

I wouldn't buy a new britax for ERF. It sounds like the radian is the way to go. Glad you got a better install with latch.

Just curious. Why did they send you a new latch strap?

Mingie

CPST Instructor
A trick to tightening the radian better is to pull the slack from the back of the seat ( where you change the harness) and the pull on the adjuster.

I wouldn't buy a new britax for ERF. It sounds like the radian is the way to go. Glad you got a better install with latch.

Just curious. Why did they send you a new latch strap?

Yes...I can show my dh the trick to tighten the straps til I am blue in the face. :rolleyes: He is just stubborn. I doubt I will choose the new britax seat. Just wanted to compare. She has quite a bit of growing room so would probably make it to at least 3.5. Leggy gal she is!

I have had a few issues with my Radian. My stickers have almost all fallen off. They have given me all new stickers and a lovely 5 page manual on how to replace them. My belly pad is very badly frayed. I think that happened about 2 mos into owning the seat. And a piece of the casing of the latch strap cracked. I think likely it wouldn't affect the strap but when I inquired they just replaced the strap. It is a 2009 XT model rfing to 35lbs.

HayleyCPST

Yes...I can show my dh the trick to tighten the straps til I am blue in the face. :rolleyes: He is just stubborn. I doubt I will choose the new britax seat. Just wanted to compare. She has quite a bit of growing room so would probably make it to at least 3.5. Leggy gal she is!

I have had a few issues with my Radian. My stickers have almost all fallen off. They have given me all new stickers and a lovely 5 page manual on how to replace them. My belly pad is very badly frayed. I think that happened about 2 mos into owning the seat. And a piece of the casing of the latch strap cracked. I think likely it wouldn't affect the strap but when I inquired they just replaced the strap. It is a 2009 XT model rfing to 35lbs.

Oh ok haha. I think the issues you have are very similar to other radian owners on the board. I'm glad they sent you a new one.

tam_shops

Can she cross her legs? MY almost 5YO is RF in a RN & outboard, I have him cross his legs. Works for us & keeps them away from the door & his brother RF center MA.

I have one of the 30# RF MA too. What were they thinking!? Went from #33 RF to #30, when everyone else was going up up up! Only other seat back then that went past #35 was the Truefit & Scenera. Think the Radian was still #30 then too...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC